Lesson learned: Don't let your cleaner touch your speakers
Mar 28, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #16 of 32
I make it very clear that anywhere near my speakers or headphones is a no touching, no cleaning zone. I usually help the lady who does the cleaning and we listen to her kind of music, the only kind for her: gospel. Some of it isn't too bad, but about 4 hours is normally all I can take. Her singing voice is really terrible, but she insists. Nice lady though. We laugh a lot about all sorts of things. But I'd never turn someone loose in here when I'm not around!

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 32
Dude...that sucks.......I usually get my Butler and footman to move my speakers before the parlour and tweenie maid are let loose in the reception rooms.

And anyway, we insist that all cleaning is supervised by the Head Housekeeper.

Nothing like having a belt and braces approach.

biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude...that sucks.......I usually get my Butler and footman to move my speakers before the parlour and tweenie maid are let loose in the reception rooms.

And anyway, we insist that all cleaning is supervised by the Head Housekeeper.

Nothing like having a belt and braces approach.

biggrin.gif

LOL. Sames. it's the only way

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 32
Haha!
biggrin.gif

The speaker got picked up this afternoon. The guy managed to get the speaker in it's original box down two flights of stairs and into the truck all by himself!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw
Well, at least it's really really clean. Look at that shine and the reflection off it.

She is absolutely immaculate when it comes to cleaning. Example: It's impressive how there are no water marks whatsoever on the taps after she cleans them! How the heck do you do that?

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 32
#1 reason why, despite my wife's pleas and my ability to pay for a weekly house cleaner, I will not get one. They just do not respect your stuff. Also the reason we don't have kids or pets. Ok, we're selfish too, but at least we realize it. :)

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say 1.2K for a Be tweeter is actually not bad. Whoever finds this shocking, look up the price for these JMLabs! Too bad, sorry for the trouble, but good to know they can be replaced.

Not bad, are you serious? Not sure but I have never seen any tweeter in any store that sell drivers for DIYer, of any quality, any tweeter for that much.

Just check the big and best online stores to see how much the tweeters avaialble to us cost, 1.2K for a tweeter is really expensive in my book...The highest price I have seen is around 300-400 for an ScanSpeak...Not sure about the berillium ones, they are not so frequent, but 1.2K is a lot of money for a tweeter....or just for the diaphragm, as probably the tweeter will not be replaced completely...

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 32
yes - they will unscrew both of them and replace one diaphragm - then put them back in
frown.gif
and charge You for replacing matched pair
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 32
I've seen some of the diamond tweeters like in the Martins and B&W for as much as $2.9K each. They sound great, but I still think the Ushers and Utopias I have heard have the best tweeters.(beryllium) Although not my favorite all round speakers.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #25 of 32
ya 1.2k is alot, that dont even look that bad. I mean you just gotta take apart the tweeter and pop it back carefully. Was is punctured or anything?

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 32
That's quite sad to see that happen to such a beautiful speaker...I do wish I could afford a pair of those...one day
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #27 of 32
They're back and fully fixed. The dealer gave us a "slight discount" (or so they claim) and it cost just over $1k inclusive of delivery, materials, man-hours, etc. I have not inquired about the exact details, but only one of the tweeters were replaced (well only the right channel speaker was sent off). The dealer didn't think it was necessary to replace both sides.

Now the bad news. The repair people managed to put a chip in the glossy front, a few centimeters left of the bass port. How bloody annoying is that? They've agreed to send someone to touch it up and I hope they'll pay for it too!

tom hankins, the JMLab Utopia Be series do sound rather exquisite. I've compared them to the B&W 800 series (802D, 803D, 803S) and preferred the JMLabs. You can't go wrong with either though! I've also listened to the Marten Design (I think you're referring Marten instead of Martin?) Coltrane and didn't think they sounded better than or even as good as some other less costly speakers. I do admit the pair I listened to were brand new and the room they were in wasn't exactly the most 'acoustically neutral or accurate' one.

Sound-wise, the diamond tweeters do seem to sparkle a bit more. However, the beryllium tweeters with the grilles removed are sparkly enough for me. The grille tends to have a smoothing, rolling-off effect on the v. high frequencies which is desirable or undesirable depending on a recording's individual acoustic characteristics, genre or individual tastes. It's very audible and makes a (IMHO) huge impact on the overall sound.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #29 of 32
Unfortunately, you're on the wrong side of the scale.
wink.gif
I have heard the Grands briefly and they are incredible.

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #30 of 32
So which one does your dad have? One of the smaller floorstanders?

And have you heard both the B&W 800D series as well? I once heard a pair of B&W 802D, and I was absolutely STUNNED. I couldn't believe the bass, the coherence, the seamless top to bottom frequency response I was hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back