Less than $300 Over the Ear for my Teenage Son (who wants Beats!)
Oct 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #61 of 73
Well I think for his Kids, the LP2 might be the right choice for their first step into better sound, the entire reason I'm on Head Fi is because of Dub Step and the Sony MDR XB 700 [I modded mine thank you] It was the foray into proper bass head cans, that eventually lead to my transition into more balanced cans, like the NAD Viso HP50. but the nice thing about this, is when your used to like +5 or even +10 dbs of extra bass, there's a lot on subtle stuff in proper music that you miss. Why that's good? As you get older and your music tastes broaden you will naturally start to wonder what else is out there, Dub Step got me into Head Fi, and Video Game OSTs got me into Hi Fi. An I now happily enjoy both on a nice system

But, If they are really into bass heavy genres [which is common since bass is an easier sound to grasp, in terms of quality] they will hopefully start to wonder what "better" bass sounds like

True. I have a friend at my gym with the ludacris souls overears. I listened to them once and was so disappointed. I mentioned to him I just bought a pair of earphones and he asked me what's the difference? I just said sq. But then he said, he doesn't have the ear for picking at sound. As long as the bass is present he's happy. I guess you could say the souls were for him but for guys like us, we eventually seek a bit more and wonder how we can get better and more transparent sound. Especially after learning some production, I realized how much a good set of earphones matters just as much as the source (professional vs. Amateur mixing and mastering) if you want to hear exactly what the artist intended you to. I actually wanted to write something for the forum as to why professional mastering matters when reviewing earphones and why large libraries with tons of at-home purely digital artists can alter your representations of an earphone/headphone whatever

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #62 of 73
Those NAD Viso HP50 look great and are even built in Canada
cool.gif
, but my kids both like the look of V-Modas better.  They're not buying Beats anymore but style is still the big deciding factor for them.  I bought a matte black LP2 last night for $139 US plus shipping so I actually got both pairs of V-Modas for under the $300 mark.

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #63 of 73
cool.gif
, but my kids both like the look of V-Modas better.  They're not buying Beats anymore but style is still the big deciding factor for them.  I bought a matte black LP2 last night for $139 US plus shipping so I actually got both pairs of V-Modas for under the $300 mark.

Very nice! As I said before, if they get more serious about sound the M100 is something they can save for :3. I never had my folks by me any cans, had to work for all of them xD but I got into this when I was in 10'th Grade so they were happy I was saving money for sumthing

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #64 of 73
cool.gif

To me, that was the better choice too. Your kids don't seem to be as conscious of sound quality as they are of the style. So while the M-100 was also stylish, I didn't think it was worth paying over double the LP2 for the M-100 if their secondary purpose is good sound quality

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #65 of 73
Thanks.  Now what headphones should I buy for me?  All this research and shopping and nothing new for me to use
triportsad.gif

I have Bose QC15s for all the flying I do and I'm keeping an eye out for something nice for home use.  I loved the Bowers & Wilkins P7 when I demoed them.  I'll see what's on sale during Black Friday and treat myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #66 of 73
  Thanks.  Now what headphones should I buy for me?  All this research and shopping and nothing new for me to use
triportsad.gif

I have Bose QC15s for all the flying I do and I'm keeping an eye out for something nice for home use.  I loved the Bowers & Wilkins P7 when I demoed them.  I'll see what's on sale during Black Friday and treat myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Why wait till black Friday! If you ok with buying used check out our For Sale threads here, head fi'rs take good care of their gear and we dont sell for profit so you'll always get a bargin! 

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #67 of 73
I think you made a good choice with th V-Moda :beerchug: Kids don't want to wear Beyerdynamic DT 770 (1990's studio gear) or NAD Viso HP50 (1 foot wide headband). I think some of the recommendations in this thread have been hilarious.

P.S They will go for the Beyers, Senns & NADs later. Hopefully they've come to earn their own money by then :wink:

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #68 of 73
I think you made a good choice with th V-Moda
beerchug.gif
Kids don't want to wear Beyerdynamic DT 770 (1990's studio gear) or NAD Viso HP50 (1 foot wide headband). I think some of the recommendations in this thread have been hilarious.

P.S They will go for the Beyers, Senns & NADs later. Hopefully they've come to earn their own money by then
wink.gif

pff dude when I was in High School I rocked teh XB 700 in public, I appreciate your sterotyping though <3 

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #70 of 73
Yeah. But not because your dad talked you into it, eh?
tongue.gif

I'm all for Dedication but you can't force it upon someone. It has to come from within.

Btw, I'm still rocking my XB700s in the streets, despite pushing fifty
L3000.gif

*high fives* 

but yea, SMman take them and your self to a Head Fi meet one day if you can and they might get more interest! 

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #72 of 73
LP2s arrived and I am very impressed.  They are more comfortable than I thought so I might not need to get the XL ear pads.  I decided to keep them as Christmas gifts for my son and daughter.  Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back