Less than $300 Over the Ear for my Teenage Son (who wants Beats!)
Oct 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #46 of 73
Tyll over at innerfidelity likes the lp2.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/celebrity-headphone-deathmatch-v-moda
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaCrossfadeLP2.pdf

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #47 of 73
I've decided to go for the LP2.  Sure "Beats" spending $329.99 (Canadian) plus tax on the new Studios
blink.gif
.  Thanks for all the replies and advice
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 73
I've decided to go for the LP2.  Sure "Beats" spending $329.99 (Canadian) plus tax on the new Studios :blink: .  Thanks for all the replies and advice :beerchug:

Let me know how you like them! Debating M100s LP2s Momentums and Urbanites. They all have pros and cons and all are good. Decisions decisions.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #49 of 73
I know absolutely nothing about the model you picked out.  However I would like to make the argument of "burn-in", I know my Beyers sound changed considerably after a good 40 or so hours of moderate levels of pink noise(just used the 9 or 10 hour clips from youtube).  So keep in mind that the "sound" might change as the soft parts of the drivers loosen up and become more "even".  Also psychoacoustics are quite real.  If you listen to something long enough, you will actually train your ears to "hear" what you are listening to.  Even bad speakers can sound "good" after a few years....lol...  most changes are a bit more subtle though. 

Basically, make sure he gives whatever he gets some time....he might learn to like them and they might eventually show him what he is missing once he gets a set of megabuck cans on his head...if that be the path he chooses.  Maybe he's a lucky one and can get away from our electronic "addiction"....  Good Luck either way.... :) 

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #50 of 73
I know absolutely nothing about the model you picked out.  However I would like to make the argument of "burn-in", I know my Beyers sound changed considerably after a good 40 or so hours of moderate levels of pink noise(just used the 9 or 10 hour clips from youtube).  So keep in mind that the "sound" might change as the soft parts of the drivers loosen up and become more "even".  Also psychoacoustics are quite real.  If you listen to something long enough, you will actually train your ears to "hear" what you are listening to.  Even bad speakers can sound "good" after a few years....lol...  most changes are a bit more subtle though. 

Basically, make sure he gives whatever he gets some time....he might learn to like them and they might eventually show him what he is missing once he gets a set of megabuck cans on his head...if that be the path he chooses.  Maybe he's a lucky one and can get away from our electronic "addiction"....  Good Luck either way.... :) 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/466827/free-burn-in-files

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #51 of 73

ugh, I agree with burn in though I HIGHLY disagree with "pink noise" 

well I've always found music to be the best burn in material, with my DT 880 it took about 2 weeks, I was listening one day and heard a song on my Audio player that I hadn't heard in a while... and it sounded DIFFERENT then when I last heard it,

either way make sure he takes some time to get used to it, I feel Pink Noise and other "burn in files" have the potential to be damaging to a driver, as it's not made to play high levels of  concentrated sound, but rather music. Still that's a discussion for another day, just make he has em for at least 2 weeks before he makes up his mind 

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #52 of 73
I bought him the V-Moda LP2 Mtn Dew Baja Blast edition tonight for $129.99 US plus shipping.  Good news is my 11 year old daughter came to me and said "I don't want Beats anymore".  She's all grown up and is thinking about V-Modas too
atsmile.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #53 of 73
  I bought him the V-Moda LP2 Mtn Dew Baja Blast edition tonight for $129.99 US plus shipping.  Good news is my 11 year old daughter came to me and said "I don't want Beats anymore".  She's all grown up and is thinking about V-Modas too
atsmile.gif

hahaha nice. i was doubting that you'd get the mountain dew version because i thought they were given out in a sweepstakes or something. nice color

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #54 of 73
Geez your children are lucky people I had a $5 pair of Maxell headphones when I was 11. But it is good to see your children aren't blinded by the Beats.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #55 of 73
They are lucky kids indeed.  They each bought Yeti mics for their computers and spend lots of time with headphones on.  Its not always easy to get their attention!!  I found out the Mtn Dew editions were given out to people who played some motorcycle video game on their phones.  I wish I would have found out earlier because I would have made my kids switch to that game and get free stuff!  Thanks for all the help.  I love this site.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #56 of 73
  Thanks for all the help.  I love this site.

That's what were here for man! Happy to hear their happy :3

let's hope they both wind up with some nicer gear in the future 

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #57 of 73
Check NAD Viso HP50. The best headphones I've heard at the price of 300$, in my opinion worth more easily. Great sound overall, not many weak points if any (any for that price), maybe they don't look so good to some people and that band over head that connects ear pieces might be too big, but check them out, really worthy option.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #59 of 73
  Check NAD Viso HP50. The best headphones I've heard at the price of 300$, in my opinion worth more easily. Great sound overall, not many weak points if any (any for that price), maybe they don't look so good to some people and that band over head that connects ear pieces might be too big, but check them out, really worthy option.

Well I think for his Kids, the LP2 might be the right choice for their first step into better sound, the entire reason I'm on Head Fi is because of Dub Step and the Sony MDR XB 700 [I modded mine thank you] It was the foray into proper bass head cans, that eventually lead to my transition into more balanced cans, like the NAD Viso HP50. but the nice thing about this, is when your used to like +5 or even +10 dbs of extra bass, there's a lot on subtle stuff in proper music that you miss. Why that's good? As you get older and your music tastes broaden you will naturally start to wonder what else is out there, Dub Step got me into Head Fi, and Video Game OSTs got me into Hi Fi. An I now happily enjoy both on a nice system

But, If they are really into bass heavy genres [which is common since bass is an easier sound to grasp, in terms of quality] they will hopefully start to wonder what "better" bass sounds like

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #60 of 73
  Well I think for his Kids, the LP2 might be the right choice for their first step into better sound

True, anyways I was late with my comment so it didn't matter (maybe it wouldn't anyways). V Modas are probably the best choice for them when you look that way, plus it's not exactly 300$ so that's probably thing to consider too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back