Less than $300 Over the Ear for my Teenage Son (who wants Beats!)
Oct 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #31 of 73
He won't go for the Sennheisers and isn't a fan of the design on the DNAs.  Its definitely going to be V-Moda.  I've read lots of good things about the LP2 on here so I'm surprised to hear negative comments.  Do you own the M-100s as well OMGLadyGaga?

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 73
I have not heard any of the V-Moda Cans, but the M100 is one the V-Moda can I hear the most positive feed back about! 

How ever the differance between the LP2 and M100 is not only price but driver size, the M100 is going to be the better sounding headphone, for starters it's a larger driver and it's priced above the LP2, why price is usually not realitive to "performance" with V Moda their prices r pretty straight forward, with the M100 being the larger "full sized" option to the "smaller" more Portable LP2

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #33 of 73
He won't go for the Sennheisers and isn't a fan of the design on the DNAs.  Its definitely going to be V-Moda.  I've read lots of good things about the LP2 on here so I'm surprised to hear negative comments.  Do you own the M-100s as well OMGLadyGaga?

No I don't own the M100s but have heard them a bunch and I did used to own the LP2. The LP2 is just bad,like I said the Beats Studios and Sony XB500 I liked much more for bass heavy headphones. Something about the LP2 treble that sounded wonky and didn't deliver a coherent or articulate sound. The Vmoda M100 fixes this while still retaining a bassy sound signature but with significantly better clarity than the LP2

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #34 of 73
Well if a decision hasnt been made I will throw another shot at the Beyerdynamic DT770...though I prefer the 80ohm version.  Does well with my Galaxy S4(no ext amp or dac), and even better with my Parasound Zpre/Beheringer UCA202(nice but temporary as I decide what tube amp to build).  I understand that cosmetics are a concern, but hey sometimes being the "different" kid with the really good sounding headphones might sway the masses away from "Beets" and the like.  Also because the 80 ohm version works with both low and high level inputs, your son might want to get an outboard dac/amp with the extra cash...I just got my 770/80 for $179US shipped in and to the US....YRMV.   If he really doesnt like the style and is handy at all with woodworking/electronics, the Beyers are notorious for being modified, show him some pics of some Darthbeyers or something.  I happen to have an abundance of 1/4" plexiglass and will be making some modified cans eventually.  Even painting or airbrushing the stock 770/80 cans would give it a unique look.  There are a few versions floating around the board that look pretty cool...

Just a few thoughts....basically dont forget about UPGRADING....sounds like your son might of already caught the headphone buzz...no pun intended......:wink:, and getting over "what everyone else is doing" is a life lesson never learned too soon...IMHO......

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #35 of 73
  Well if a decision hasnt been made I will throw another shot at the Beyerdynamic DT770...though I prefer the 80ohm version.  Does well with my Galaxy S4(no ext amp or dac), and even better with my Parasound Zpre/Beheringer UCA202(nice but temporary as I decide what tube amp to build).  I understand that cosmetics are a concern, but hey sometimes being the "different" kid with the really good sounding headphones might sway the masses away from "Beets" and the like.  Also because the 80 ohm version works with both low and high level inputs, your son might want to get an outboard dac/amp with the extra cash...I just got my 770/80 for $179US shipped in and to the US....YRMV.   If he really doesnt like the style and is handy at all with woodworking/electronics, the Beyers are notorious for being modified, show him some pics of some Darthbeyers or something.  I happen to have an abundance of 1/4" plexiglass and will be making some modified cans eventually.  Even painting or airbrushing the stock 770/80 cans would give it a unique look.  There are a few versions floating around the board that look pretty cool...

Just a few thoughts....basically dont forget about UPGRADING....sounds like your son might of already caught the headphone buzz...no pun intended......:wink:, and getting over "what everyone else is doing" is a life lesson never learned too soon...IMHO......

Hey, nice post man! Nice to have you here

but yea, if your son has an interest in electronics or learning about that stuff, modding might be a good hobby for him! An Beyers take well to mods 

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #36 of 73
He's set on V-Moda and I'm cool with that.  He doesn't have my patience or want to look at more options anymore.  I just have to decide between the LP2 and M-100.  I appreciate the other suggestions.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #37 of 73
THX Mshenay :)  ...choosing is half the fun... right?  I still say hold him down and make him listen to some Beyers...lol.  At least pull up a pic of some with modded wood cups, some are downright works of art.  Though very durable, not very portable.  VERY comfortable though...ok, ok, I get it....  I'll go in peace now... :wink:  Sans Souci....  Go for the M-100 if you must....:)

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #38 of 73
V-Moda M-100 is well worth it. Reading from your son's tastes, the M-100 will fit the job perfectly at under $300. It actually was the first headphone I thought of when I read the post title alone, and yes they are well worth the money over LP2. Worth the money over on-ear XS? that's a debatable.

How about M-100 vs Sennheiser Momentum/Urbanite XL? Sennheiser has the brand but M-100's specs blow those two out of the water. (32 Ohm vs 18 Ohm. 5-30,000Hz vs 16-22,000 Hz. Pretty sure M-100s have a bigger driver too?)

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 73
Not sure about the Urbanite. The Momentum is comparable to the M-100 though. M-100 is more bassy, but the Momentum has more clarity. M-100 is more fun, Momentum is more serious. But if you're serious there's more expensive headphones to invest in anyway :) Fun is where it's at with this price I think.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #40 of 73
Not sure about the Urbanite. The Momentum is comparable to the M-100 though. M-100 is more bassy, but the Momentum has more clarity. M-100 is more fun, Momentum is more serious. But if you're serious there's more expensive headphones to invest in anyway :) Fun is where it's at with this price I think.

Urbanite has the same specs as the Momentum's but they can fold.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #42 of 73
You shouldnt consider anything but M100. The kid likes the design and we're sure he'll like the sound. Considering other things will only give you a larger headache.

Exactly.  I just sat down with him to show him some PSB, Sennheiser, Beryerdynamic, etc but he's set on V-Moda.  Anyone see the Mountain Dew Baja Blast version of the LP2?  Apparently it was a give away prize for people who played a motorcycle video game.  I know everyone is saying M-100 but he said the LP2 would be good so might pull the plug on a pair and save $100+

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #44 of 73

Exactly.  I just sat down with him to show him some PSB, Sennheiser, Beryerdynamic, etc but he's set on V-Moda.  Anyone see the Mountain Dew Baja Blast version of the LP2?  Apparently it was a give away prize for people who played a motorcycle video game.  I know everyone is saying M-100 but he said the LP2 would be good so might pull the plug on a pair and save $100+

You know what, that might be a good idea. Get him the LP2, and if he likes it challenge him to save up for the M100 him self, see if he's interested enough in Audio to take that step to the next level 

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #45 of 73
How about M-100 vs Sennheiser Momentum/Urbanite XL? Sennheiser has the brand but M-100's specs blow those two out of the water. (32 Ohm vs 18 Ohm. 5-30,000Hz vs 16-22,000 Hz. Pretty sure M-100s have a bigger driver too?)

Those frequency response ratings really dont mean anything. I would just ignore them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back