Lend a girl a hand deciding on a high-end IEM?
Jul 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #61 of 73
Since you use these for long video sessions, or extensively in music reproduction or dj work, i would really hate to be labelled a fanboy but yeah, UM3X was designed for such purposes. I do some lyrics writing in my free time, and UM3X proves to be capable for long hours of music-related work/monitoring, both in terms of comfort and accuracy.

That being said, they are still as enjoyable for recreational music, are easily driven by almost any source, and don't seem to really require additional amps. Strength are its mids and vocals, and the bass should be good enough in terms of impact.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoonf144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't able to get a half-seal due to my small ears

That's probably it.. I can see the IE 8 being really bright without a partial seal.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's probably it.. I can see the IE 8 being really bright without a partial seal.

Yep, just putting it out there for the OP to consider.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I found a pair of the Klipsch Image X10's today for a pretty nice price of $139+$24 in overnight shipping. I purchased them and will use them for the time being until I decide on a higher-end model to compare them to. I decided on them because they were so cheap and they were small and I was sure they would fit me well. I'm currently looking most closely at the Sennheiser IE8, the Westone 3, and the UM3X to supplement the Klipsch. Again, I'd love to chat further via PM if anyone is interested, and will continue reading the post here for anyone else's thoughts. Thanks all!

Yvonne

Another thing that may happen is that you'll really like the X10's and can take some time to think about the next upgrade. I'm very happy with mine, even after hearing lots of the competition. Most of the other universals, IMO, are either a lateral move or a "lateral plus 10%" move from the X10's. Or in other words, different flavors. Though some people may really prefer a different flavor.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #65 of 73
The image x10? Not a bad choice. Hope you enjoy your purchase!

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The image x10? Not a bad choice. Hope you enjoy your purchase!

x2. Since you plan using them when moving around, just be sure to wear the cables down your back as shown in the instruction manual. Or get a shirt clip if you wear them down the front. The x10 is one of the comfiest IEMs around, but it can also be badly microphonic.

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #67 of 73
So the Image X10's arrived this morning. I've been trying out different tips on them all afternoon. All of them give me a pretty good fit except for one, the largest. I've never had a real IEM so it feels a bit strange, LoL. They're tiny! Even smaller than I thought they'd be......which is good for my small ears.

I'm pretty impressed with the mids and highs from my short time listening, but the bass feels a little lacking so far. I'm going to try some more combinations and play with them a bit and see how it goes. I'll report back. Thanks for your help all! I'm excited!

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by naddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the bass feels lacking, then you most likely have not found a good seal because the bass of the X10 is anything but lacking!

Agreed.

To insert the X10's, point them at your ear rotated a few degrees counterclockwise. Then open your mouth, pull the top of your ear up with your other hand, stick the X10 in your ear, twist it into place, and then close your mouth and let go of the top of your ear.

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but after you've done it a few times it seems totally natural. The IEM FAQ that is stickied at the top of this forum has pictures of how to do it I think.

The other thing that can help, is put on a really bassy song (trance or something), and listen to it while you insert the X10's, and place them where the bass is the best.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #70 of 73
So, I've now had some time to play with my new toys!

Overall I'm pretty happy with them. Overall sound quality is slightly better than my MX W1's........highs especially. My only complaint still is that bass is a little weak.......at least compared to my other headphones, including the MX W1. They really blow the Klipsch away as far as bass goes, although the Klipsch did come a little closer when I listened to my Blackberry and used the "bass boost" feature on it.

Overall I'm happy with them......they're very comfortable. They're no Shure though, that's for sure. I really don't think any headphone out there, IEM or standard, can come even close to the elegance and stunningly beautiful melodies that come flowing out of even the lowest end of Shure models. I mean, when listening to a Shure product, even their cheapest model, it is as if God himself is pouring sweet nectar into my ears from his perch up in heaven. It is as if each Shure product is a piece of art, handcrafted by God to give those of us intelligent enough to recognize their glory a tiny glimpse of heaven. The name Shure just doesn't do them justice.......they should be called simply "Ecstasy". I think I'll soon be selling all my other pairs of headphones in hopes I'll be able to raise the funds to purchase a glorious Shure work of art. I suggest everyone else do the same, for you haven't known true bliss until you've experienced what I've coined "heroin for the ears"........the Shure sound! As you put them in and turn up the volume, all your troubles will instantly melt away as an orgasmic explosion of pure sonic ecstasy overtakes you, snatches you up, and takes you on a journey of pure exaltation straight to heaven. Your brain will melt and spew out of your ears, only to be replaced by the blessed nectar of the Gods that literally drips from the Shures into your ear canals as they convert mere music into liquid heaven. Often, after a Shure listening session, I awaken in strange places, naked, covered in filth and my own excrement. As I become aware of my surroundings, depression strikes deep in my heart as I realize the nectar from the Shures has ceased flowing. But a calm soon washes over me as I realize I have simply reached the end of my playlist. With a great anticipation and delight, I restart the Shure Express, lie my wretched head back into the gutter.........and slip back into a state of pure blissful oblivion..........just me and my Shures..........not even noticing nor caring about the vermin nibbling on my exposed flesh............my hair smoldering atop my scalp, ignited from the pure Godlike power emitted by the Shure IEMs.........nor the man with wild eyes, decomposing flesh, and a strange nervous tick shuffling toward my Shure listening nest with arms outstretched whilst moaning "brainssssss"..........

Just kidding, LoL. A few people finally explained the Voltage references to me yesterday. Can I be a Shure fangirl? Does it matter if I've never really listened to a pair? Did my "review" make you want to go out and immediately pick up a pair? Sorry, just wanted to have a little fun with ya and get some of you back.......now bow before Shure, peons!

Anyhow.......I have been getting a good seal in my ears.......I just think that the MX W1's were a little more powerful in the bass department even without being capable of sealing off and had me spoiled. I absolutely love the fit of the Klipsch, however, and the definition of the highs especially, so I can certainly live with the minute shortcomings. I think I've decided to also grab a pair of Sennheiser IE8s to supplement the Klipsch. It is nice not to have to worry about battery life with the Klipsch though, that's for sure. Thanks again for all your help, and let me know if anyone is interested in hearing further impressions on the Klipsch as I get more time with them. I'd be happy to report back.

Thanks guys (and gals)!
Yvonne

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #71 of 73
Sometimes you can be surprised to find out you don't have a good seal even though you think you do. I know with the X5's and anything but the large tips I can't get much of a seal at all. I can only do shallow insertion with the large tips as well. Anything else and they lose all body and sound pretty bad.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've now had some time to play with my new toys!

Overall I'm pretty happy with them. Overall sound quality is slightly better than my MX W1's........highs especially. My only complaint still is that bass is a little weak.......at least compared to my other headphones, including the MX W1. They really blow the Klipsch away as far as bass goes, although the Klipsch did come a little closer when I listened to my Blackberry and used the "bass boost" feature on it.

Thanks guys (and gals)!
Yvonne

Great post. The Shure zombie stuff is classic. :wink:

The reason many of us are wondering about your seal, is that the X10's should have tight impactful bass. I'm listening to them right now, and the bass is punching me in the skull, or something. I do have custom tips and a tube amp, so it's not a 1:1 comparison. But if you get a good seal, there should definitely be bass.

You might try the Sensaphonics seal test. They are some sound files that have 50 hz and 500 hz tones so you can check your seal. They are here:

Sensaphonics / Seal Test

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #73 of 73
Excellent Voltag3 impersonation! I almost started up looking for eggs.
wink.gif

X2 on the seal issue, the Klipsch X10 is well reputed for great bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back