Lend a girl a hand deciding on a high-end IEM?
Jul 27, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only universal iems I've had any experience with long-term (not just meets) are the Ety ER4P/S (years), and the SE530/420/310/210 (two weeks in my home), so I'm not sure what's currently available that might offer the comfort that customs allow. I did finally find the right tip for my Etys (the baby blue flanges made for smaller ear canals) so that I was able to wear them for a couple hours, but NOTHING beats customs for comfort with long-term wear.

The Etys are not exactly known for their comfort. You have clearly not tried the UM3X's. I had the SE530's and they're were not as comfortable as my UM3X, and for me the difference is quite significant and more so with the added SE530's thick and heavy cables AND a bigger, heavier housing for the earpieces. Also the UM3X are very very light (ie not heavy) and the thinnish -- just like the customs -- yet strong cable contributes to the sensation of not having ANYTHING stuck inside your ears. Not even my beloved ES3X were that comfortable at first. My UM3X can be used for as many hours as my ES3X and the comfort is just as good. Hard to believe, I know, if you haven't tried the UM3X.

If you check the UM3X thread you'll find the one thing pretty much EVERYBODY agrees on is that the comfort level is practically second to none.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #32 of 73
i second the um3x for its comfort and sound. for that sound and comfort, you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #33 of 73
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the forum. Apparently, from the annoyed posts, I see I've overstepped my bounds as a new member. I'll quit bugging you and figure things out on my own.

I DID do a lot of research, however, despite someone implying I didn't. I wasn't aware of the "PTH" abbreviation, however, so didn't see those results. I was also mistakenly thinking the feature was called "push to listen", so may have searched for that and not found anything. I've been doing my own research since I purchased my MX W1's the day they were released, quite some time back, and found this forum a little over a week ago. I searched and read through the forums each day for at least 2-3 hours, often longer, then finally posted with my questions. I'm a little upset I was accused of not doing my research, as I'm always very concerned with only asking something in a forum after I've pretty well educated myself on the subject. I saw, during my searching and research here, quite a lot of help threads that went on for 10+ pages, so figured extended discussion on a member's IEM needs was common here and enjoyable for everyone. I guess I was stupid and annoyed people with my questions. I'm sorry.......I'll take it from here. Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and suggestions, it is much appreciated......and sorry I've bothered you with too many inquiries.......

Yvonne

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #34 of 73
relax man, i think most of us here meant no harm.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
relax man

LOL
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the forum. Apparently, from the annoyed posts, I see I've overstepped my bounds as a new member. I'll quit bugging you and figure things out on my own.

I DID do a lot of research, however, despite someone implying I didn't. I wasn't aware of the "PTH" abbreviation, however, so didn't see those results. I was also mistakenly thinking the feature was called "push to listen", so may have searched for that and not found anything. I've been doing my own research since I purchased my MX W1's the day they were released, quite some time back, and found this forum a little over a week ago. I searched and read through the forums each day for at least 2-3 hours, often longer, then finally posted with my questions. I'm a little upset I was accused of not doing my research, as I'm always very concerned with only asking something in a forum after I've pretty well educated myself on the subject. I saw, during my searching and research here, quite a lot of help threads that went on for 10+ pages, so figured extended discussion on a member's IEM needs was common here and enjoyable for everyone. I guess I was stupid and annoyed people with my questions. I'm sorry.......I'll take it from here. Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and suggestions, it is much appreciated......and sorry I've bothered you with too many inquiries.......

Yvonne

You can certainly carry on asking as many questions as you like. And yes, there are VERY long threads out there. From the top-tier IEM's pay particular attention to the SE530, Triple.fi 10 Pro, IE8, Westone 3, Westone UM3X, & ATH CK-100. The last 4 have been around for less than 12 months, particularly the UM3X (only 3 months). When reading any thread & specially comparisons with other IEM's always check when the comments were made, ie comparisons made with whatever was available at the time.

So, ask as many questions as you like on this thread or post your questions on other relevant threads. It's not mandatory that you do a lot of research before posting anything here, but it did sound somewhat strange that after stating you'd done 'tons' of research you didn't know about the PTH feature.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #37 of 73
Yvonne,
I own a Z series Vaio, which I use for movie watching among other things, as well as an ipod and Cowon S9. I have owned the SE-530, and currently own and use both the Westone 3 and 3x. Any of the above work well with the Sony.

The Westone build quality is excellent, the cables do not look durable, but they are, the 3 and 3x are compatible with the same ear tips as the Shures. I have used the 3 extensively for work and travel, sound isolation and comfort are great (I use the comply tips). The complys come in a standard and short size, which may fit you better.

I prefer the Westone 3 sound over the Shure 530, I find the Westone is less fatiguing to my ears sound-wise, and generally fits better. The cable on the Westone is less microphonic than the Shures as well.

I also listen with 1 side out when the situation requires, and it works fine.

Finally, the Shure PTH works well, I have used in on several Helo rides in conjuction with the Westone & Shure (w/ Comply or Triflange tips as ear plugs). When I needed to hear something, I turned on the PTH, otherwise the IEMs kept my ears properly isolated and comfortable. I've been on 12+ hour airplane flights with my Shure and Westones with no issue.

FWIW, I am placing an order for the JHA-13 Pro's when I can get to an audiologist for fitting. These will be my first customs, but I've read through several threads regarding Westone, Ultimate Ears, and JHAudio IEMs where folks state that properly fitted customs are unmatched in comfort. As stated earlier in this thread, JHAudio makes customs in several price ranges if you're willing to give them a 2nd look.

Hope this helps - Good Luck,

Josh

Quote:

I've heard the Klipsch Image X10's (and also the Klipsch Custom 3) are among the most comfortable around, and being so small would probably fit me well. I'm wondering if the sound quality, however, can compare to the larger Shure/Sennheiser/Westone. Thoughts?

Also, how well does the push to listen feature work on the Shure? That would be very nice for me as I often sit with one earbud in and the other hanging out of my ear when I need to listen to something else.

Some thoughts on Sennheiser IE8 vs Shure SE530 vs Klipsch Image would be helpful as well. Some pros/cons as well as sound quality comparison for my needs?

I think someone asked what I would be using them for too? I mentioned some things in my initial post, but to go over them again........much of the use will be while sitting in a hotel room. I watch a lot of HD movies and TV shows on my laptop - a Sony VAIO Z-series. I go on long watching marathons since my job takes me all over and I'm often gone and in hotels for weeks-months at a time. I also, when flying, use my Sony UX280p UMPC a lot for watching video. I also do some DJing and music production with my Numark NS7 and NI Maschine, but both of those are via the laptop. I connect my earbuds directly to my Tenori-On quite often as well. Finally, I connect them to my Blackberry Bold to listen to music and occasionally watch video when working out. I don't have a stand-alone MP3 player.....I use the Bold and find it works pretty well and has a great volume output. As far as music, I DJ and produce mostly hip-hop, but listen to hip-hop, hard rock, and metal. I lean towards hard rock (Queens of the Stone Age type stuff) more when listening to music since I get worn out on hip-hop when working with it in music production a lot. I also do some gaming on my laptop when I get bored. I know, I know........I'm strange for a girl. Everyone tells me so, hehe.

And again, while I love hip-hop I tend to like the punchy bass rather than the low, rumbling bass. I've always liked car stereos with 10" subwoofers better than larger ones and the old precision power-style powerful amps to get that thumping bass rather than the rumbling kind that drowns out everything but the highest of highs.

Hope this helps and gives you a better idea what I'm looking for. I hope you all know this forum and all of you are absolutely wonderful. I've never been to a forum where everyone was so friendly and helpful, and absolutely LOVE the in-depth discussion that has started from my simple, very first post. Thanks so much, you've all been so helpful already. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts!

Thanks all!
Yvonne

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #38 of 73
i can't help you mach b/c i don't have expirience on the iem mentined above , but i can tell you that i have the klipsch image , and they have a very good balance and very good bas , and above all they are very comfortable . so mach so that i was sleeping with them without notice that they on my ears. that is the most enlightening test on comfortable in my mind
i should tell you that i would like to by the Audio Technica as complementary iem
i hope that it helps you, and i must aplogies about my eanglish

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #39 of 73
I don't have a custom, but I listened to the IE 8 for over twelve hours straight on one day and basically couldn't feel them on my ears (no, my ears did not go numb). I am sure the UM3X could achieve similar feats based on design.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

I DID do a lot of research, however, despite someone implying I didn't. I wasn't aware of the "PTH" abbreviation, however, so didn't see those results. I was also mistakenly thinking the feature was called "push to listen", so may have searched for that and not found anything.

Yet in your previous post you said:
Quote:

... and I do like the push-to-hear option.

Anyway it was not my intention to be rude, more a broad hint to use the forum search before asking. Because IMHO there's no way you could have come up with a statement like this
Quote:

It seems most people list the Shure as the "best in class"

and this
Quote:

I just looked up the ATH-CK100 now, and can't find any info on them other than a few "coming soon" posts.

if you really had done half of the research you claim.

Having said that, you'll find a lot of folks (including myself) willing to help, but it would be easier if you'd say a little more about your likes and dislikes with your current headphones and give more coherent replies to other members opinions.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #41 of 73
I'm a first class heel? Alrighty then........sheesh.......

I don't want to get into an argument, although I could also point out, like I said, I wasn't aware of the PTH abbreviation, and in my other post, I seem to have asked about "push-to-listen". I really can't remember what I searched for anymore, but since I didn't know it was called PTH and could also have mistakenly searched under "push-to-listen", I was simply admitting to just missing the info and apologizing.

I also think I listed more than enough info on my likes, dislikes, and equipment in my posts......perhaps YOU missed that. I'm often accused of writing too long of posts and giving too much info incidentally. As far as coherent replies........geez......I don't know what you expect. I went through each recommendation at one point and replied with what my research had found and the reasons I hadn't considered those models. I even listed excerpts from an article on one occasion and quoted reviews on others, so I think that at least suggests I did a reasonable amount of research.

Anyway, all I can tell you is that I spent over a week reading the forum each day before asking my questions. I don't mean to argue......it just annoys me to no end when people ask questions that have been answered many times already in a forum, and I am always very diligent in doing my research before asking assistance. The implication that I did not was offensive to me. I'm obviously not an expert, but I think I did a very reasonable amount of searching and reading before asking my question. Reading the entire forum is obviously not possible, so something is always going to be missed. How much research is enough? I apologize for asking a dumb question. I'm only human.......

I would love to ask some more questions but I think I'll pass for now. If anyone is interested in carrying on the conversation and helping me out a little more, feel free to PM me. I also love to chat about these things and would be happy to discuss with anyone else deciding on a model to purchase. No hard feelings, I just see that I've annoyed some people and worn out my welcome, so I'll let you all get back to business. Thanks again for all your help. It was much appreciated and very helpful. Sorry again for asking dumb questions. Now, off to continue my research.........

Yvonne

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #42 of 73
Way to welcome the noob guys!!, well that was an ugly scene
eek.gif
nice spot there voltag3 spotters
rolleyes.gif
; thats about where it went down hill badly and I think we got enough out of her to see that it was not him (the response was too heartfelt to be you know who). what are you guys gonna do; accuse anyone who comes here quoting SE530 catchphrase's?? (all to common out there in the intranets where they dont know the names of the latest top contenders like we do off the top of our heads) I admit there does seem to be a bit of a serious gap in the research, but seriously, to jump on her like that was atrocious. snide and facetious, while on a more lowbrow note; stoopid and plain wrong!! this is not the first time I have seen spotters wrong; sure there was a couple of good catches and was pretty funny the first time (those that saw that thread), but those that seem to have appointed themselves scouts/vigilantes' ought to have a good look at what went down here, leave it up to the mods IMO.

now i've been part of 'the pack' on more than one occasion I guess and i've seen it all before. maybe I was part of something this ugly at some point; but if so I regret it now.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #43 of 73
now of course if it is i'm gonna have egg on my face
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #44 of 73
I have UM3X and use it with Sony A729. I love the sound of westone and with UM3X you get good instrument separation, Good vocals and nice bass. Along with these features it is one of the most comfortable IEMs i have ever used. As you have seen in this IEMs are personal preference and sound signature is specific to each manufacturer and people get passionate about each one. So depending on your taste you can go with either IE 8, UM3x , Westone 3 or Shore Shure 530 and they are all good in thier own way. My preference is UM3x.

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #45 of 73
In my other post I stated that though the UM3X is balanced it's bass isn't "punchy", which is one of the attributes you wanted in an IEM. I take that back, the bass is punchy and the sound as I stated before is very balanced so the UM3X might be what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back