Lehmann Audio Linear USB Headphone Amplifier versus Burson HA-160D Headphone Amplifier / DAC / Pre Amp - For Electronic Techno and Ambient
Jan 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

trotoir

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I couldn't find a thread comparing these 2 similar (ish) SS amps so I thought I would ask.

I am thinking about purchasing 1 of these as an upgrade to my Fiio E9 / E7 combo. I use HD650  and D7000 headphones.

Has anyone had the privilege to compare these 2 units?

Can anyone please make a recommendation for either, predominately listening to electronic music?

Can anyone maybe recommend something better at a similar price point or know of a soon to be released unit that might be worth hanging on for?

I am not keen to go valve at the moment as I have a very hands on toddler. So please keep any suggestions to SS amp / dac combo.

Many thanks in anticipation of some support!

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Bump...

Hi,

No advice anyone? Or did I ask the wrong type of questions (or too many!!??) or has nobody had experience of both.

No worries if not, it's just that its a big investment and I want to make the right choice.

I'm leaning towards the Burson at present.....

Cheers

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi, I figure out that I might want to drop my 2 cents.

although I dont have experience on either of these, I own the matrix m-stage and some headfier here says that it is really close to the lehman linear with a percentage of the cost. However I have to tell you that I am not completely satisfied with it and now i am looking to go higher. if their claims is true, then you might as well want a burson. but I have heard overpriced comments on some chinese forum recarding this. so maybe you should look at centrance dac mini?

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 13
I appreciate your 2 cents weipim. Thanks for putting me out of my misery! hehehe

Its a funny old passion this one. Just when you think your on to a run of positives regarding a bit of gear there is a negative or concern to sow a seed a doubt. Even spending a grands worth of cash cannot guarantee happiness for long I suspect. Just a change if perspective. I guess that's whats makes it fun too. I just wish I had the disposable funds to build up an arsenal to cope with the fluctuations of wants, desires and musical preferences! I still think the Burson might put a smile on my face, but for how long? And is it worth the outlay.....?

It's flip a coin time....................................or maybe best of 3!

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 13
What about the HA-160Ds version? same unit but smaller, and cheaper too. 

And sorry, i havent had the chance to compare it to the lehmann. But i can say it does a nice work powering the HD598/650's

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
What about the HA-160Ds version? same unit but smaller, and cheaper too. 

And sorry, i havent had the chance to compare it to the lehmann. But i can say it does a nice work powering the HD598/650's

I need to plug my Audioengines into my final choice via preamp and I hear the D is better sounding than the DS also (not sure if this is a myth as they use similar parts?). So I kind of discounted the DS.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Went for the Burson in the end as no one had a good word to say about the BCL usb version. Just hope I have made the right decision, fingers crossed. I should be happy but I feel worried....!!?? Should arrive in a few days so time will tell.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Went for the Burson in the end as no one had a good word to say about the BCL usb version. Just hope I have made the right decision, fingers crossed. I should be happy but I feel worried....!!?? Should arrive in a few days so time will tell.

You got the D version? i have the Ds, and i have been satisfied. I can say its a pretty good one, report your findings. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
You got the D version? i have the Ds, and i have been satisfied. I can say its a pretty good one, report your findings. 

Still not shipped yet, been a few days. Will definitely post my findings eventually Fabio

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 13
I posted this same question to a person who had experience with both and he told me the Lehmann was much better.

YMMV.

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I posted this same question to a person who had experience with both and he told me the Lehmann was much better.
YMMV.

Depends on what you want.

The Burson has a warmer more full-bodied sound that is very non-fatiguing and yet lively.

The Lehman is striving for neutrality and does a pretty good job at that.

I myself prefer the Burson.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 13
I picked up the Burson HA-160DS and I am quite happy with it.

Works great with my low impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back