Left my SE535s on the bus...
Sep 22, 2018 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BenH1984

New Head-Fier
I left my Shure SE535s on the bus. I’m gutted.

On a related note, I’m looking for recommendations for a new pair of similar headphones.

I loved my SE535s but I had them for **years**, going through multiple cables etc. To my ears they are a great balance of overall tone, musicality and detail while they’re not too harsh to sub-standard sources. I’m looking for something similar.

I’ve had a look around at a number of reviews and particularly Wiljen’s review of the AKG N40s and competitors. The N40s look decent but Wiljen also says in his review that the SE535s are a bit more detailed etc.

The question is do I buy another pair of 535s or in the years since I brought my first pair are there now better options out there? If I still had my old pair I’d still be very happy with them but that’d be in the knowledge of 7 years of stellar service. Surely new contenders have come out since in a similar price range (I’m looking at £250-400 range and am in the U.K.). Easily replaceable cables are a must. Compatibility with Comply foam tips would be strongly preferred. I wish i could stretch Tob some 846s but alas...

I will also take the opportunity to upgrade my portable source to a dragonfly red fed via my phone. I expect this’ll make a big difference however whatever the new headphones are should play nicely enough with mp3s (98% of which will be 320/V0) as well as being happy with hi-res/lossless.

Any recommendations would be warmly received.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I think shure does not worth buying anymore nowadays. Not that they are bad, but the price of them havent changed since they came out, and with their price you can get something better.
Within £250-400, I do think there are many options. For example, noble savanna, which I got recently for £220, ibasso it04 (tried it before, quite nice but as I already have the it03 so i didnt get it), oriolus forsteni, ak Billie Jean, etc.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks.

Current thinking is the AK Billy Jean and a Chord Mojo although I’ll go somewhere I can return the Billy Jeans if they don’t work for me and may try the Oriolus Forsteni.

Really surprised we’ve not seen an SE540 /545 to be honest

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Ak Billy Jean is brighter while the Oriolus is warmer. Both are great at their own field.
Chord mojo, after so many years, are still very great. I can also recommend some other choices for you. Ifi xdsd ,which recently just got an award, is also a great portable dac/amp. For a lower price, fiio Q5 is a great alternative for the mojo

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 5
I read somewhere that the Billy Jean and Mojo work well together and the Mojo is good at taming overly bright IEMs. Whether that person knows what they're talking about or not... well the eternal problem of the internet.

Having said that I love a warm soundstage (previously owned a few of the warmer Grado models). Maybe the Oriolus are the way to go.

I'm also really umming and ahhing because I've seen a bundle deal of the Shure SRH1540 with a Mojo for £750 which is more than £100 less than the combined list price. It's turned my head...

Urgh decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back