Left channel hum...driving me crazy
Aug 23, 2021 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AthenaZephyrian

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure where else to post this, but my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro has developed an infernal left-channel hum/buzz (sounds like a very quiet 60hz sawtooth wave) that is dependent on position of the volume potentiometer. I Thought it was a problem with a filter cap at first (electrolytic, installed a few years ago when I recapped the amp), but the buzz persists. There's no visible sign of capacitor failure (no bulge, no leakage). I don't have a capacitance measuring device, so I'm not able to check that the caps are still within tolerances of their original rating. I did check the caps with an ohm meter and they seem functional, but I cannot, obviously, tell anything other than that they have not entirely failed.

I'm gonna try cleaning the pot with some deoxit (had to order it, on its way; I have another amp that definitely needs it anyway) but I seriously doubt that the pot is the issue.

Now, the transformer does hum (very quietly) at exactly the same frequency and with a similar timbre (sawtooth-ish). I suppose there could be some inductance (from the coils, perhaps, moving slightly relative to the magnetic core) that makes it into the audio signal, but I haven't found evidence that anyone else has experienced that phenomenon. What I have found is a lot of people talking about DC offset in the wall AC. Now, if I understand those posts correctly, the resultant sound from DC offset is emitted by the transformer, and does not audibly infiltrate the audio path. That said, maybe this is the issue; perhaps it actually can end up in the audio output of the amplifier.

Maybe it's the filter caps and I need to recap it again (and possibly figure out what other aging components caused a cap failure, if indeed there is one)? Maybe it's the transformer (bleh I don't wanna replace an HV transformer)?

This is absolutely driving me up a wall. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears (haha).

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 4
how about desolder signal wires that go into the volume pot and add a pair of RCA right there at the pot. If the hum problem goes away then the problem is up-stream (RCA jack, signal wire routing); if problem persist then the cause is down stream (pot, PCB, etc).

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 4
how about desolder signal wires that go into the volume pot and add a pair of RCA right there at the pot. If the hum problem goes away then the problem is up-stream (RCA jack, signal wire routing); if problem persist then the cause is down stream (pot, PCB, etc).
Not a bad idea. I'll have to scrounge up a pair of sacrificial RCA jacks. :imp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back