Leaving your CD/DVD player in "pause" mode...
Oct 26, 2002 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
OK, this is mostly about DVDs and not CDs.

Often, I am unable to watch a DVD all the way through in one sitting. I leave the DVD in "pause" mode and come back to it the next day when I can finish it. I've lately been wondering how good this is for the general wear-and-tear on my DVD player.

I've put my ear up to my DVDP and it appears the disc keeps spinning even while it's in "pause" mode, which makes perfect sense-- how else could it instantly come back to where you left off when you hit "play" again. Therefore, I am putting a lot of strain on my player by leaving it in "pause" for 24 hrs. or more.

Unfortunately, if I shut my DVD player "off" I lose my place in the DVD and have to start all over, going through the whole set-up procedure, then hunting for the spot I left off.

Is there an answer to my dilemma?

Mark

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 11
Check the manual of your DVD player. The DVD players I've had retain memory of where the disk was if you hit "stop" instead of "pause". Pause leaves the disc spinning and an image on the screen, but both buttons keep memory of where you were as long as you leave the player on. You have to hit the stop button twice to erase the location. So, you simply hit stop once and leave the player on, and the disc will stop spinning but remember the location. Hitting play resumes where you left off.

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 11
remember what chapter you were at before you turned it off.

or use the resume function that every dvd player on the planet seems to have.

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 11
I don't use the remote that came with my DVD. I use the touch-screen universal remote that came with my Denon 5800 receiver, so functionality is somewhat limited.

I'll trying just hitting "stop" once, but leaving the DVD player on. Thanks, Hirsch.

Mark

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 11
It can be programmed, but it takes so much time. Mainly you just enter the code of your component. Sadly, my DVD/DVD-A player (Kenwood Sovereign 5700) has no pre-programmed code so it's all manual and a total pain.

BTW, if you're looking for a killer DVD/DVD-A player, this kenwood is just great. Prices are dropping. I think you can get it for about $700 from GoodGuys now (it was $1200 about 6 months ago).

Mark

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Jeez, that's a pretty crummy dvd player if it lacks a resume play feature....

Doesn't sound like much of a deal when it's missing such a simply feature.

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 11
It may very well have such a feature, gloco, but again, I don't use the actual remote that would have a button for it.

Mark

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 11
On my DVD, pioneer 444, there is no button for resume. You hit stop it stops, if you dont turn the unit off or take the disk out it will resume where you stopped when you hit play.

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
It may very well have such a feature, gloco, but again, I don't use the actual remote that would have a button for it.

Mark

What ai0tron said.

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 11
I guess I'm lucky. I have 3 DVD players, all three of them resume even after power off. My oldest Philips player, even after I take the disc out, turn it off and on, play some other discs, etc.. And then I put first disc back in it, press play button twice (which activates the resume function of this player), and it resumes where I left off. Amazing memory, I wonder how many discs it'll remember...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back