LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
May 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #184 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any word on being able to stop by the shure location up north for a listen? come on!! its on my way, and I'm not much trouble.

No word yet but I haven't forgot. I'd like really like to put this together so please know that I am working on it.

Hopefully we can get it together soon.

May 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #185 of 431
Styling...

I have heard alot of comments about the styling on the headphones, some good, some bad but all very valid and useful.

How here's a question...

At each Shure model price point, what model would you consider the design benchmark ie. the best designed headphone at the given price?

Benchmark against:

-SRH240 ($59)
-SRH440 ($99)
-SRH840 ($199)

Please pick one model each in these general price points to benchmark against the Shure model. I am curious to know what everyone thinks is a good design vs. a bad design and why...

Thanks!

May 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #186 of 431
I actually like the SRH440 and SRH840's utilitarian styling a lot. The SRH240 is not as attractive as the other two, in my opinion, but still looks good for a headphone its price.

Given SHURE's unique headband design (which, especially on the SRH840, is one of the most comfortable closed-can headbands I've used), I can't imagine there was much they could do to style that and surrounding parts any differently. Here are some shots of that headphone and its headband (which may make clearer the reason for the comfort):

3528465325_6c55cb8bc7.jpg

3529277544_f87ca157c6_m.jpg
3529278212_1891bb5d8c_m.jpg

3529278042_bf805793fc_m.jpg
3528465847_b8140919ba_m.jpg

3470987187_138207174b.jpg

I have no idea what the headband is made of, but it makes for just the right amount of clamping force (and my cranium is quite wide). It also makes the headphone easier to stow. I also like the numbered sizing detents on each side, making it very easy to know you have both sides symmetrically set.

Ideally, those little wires would be tucked away; however, I'm not worried about them. Again, I've had two sets of Sony MDR-V6's, both of which lasted years (until both were lost after letting relatives borrow them), and, despite a similar cable configuration, neither ever failed or had any problems related to those wires.

The SRH840 and SRH440 look a lot nicer in person--and feel nicer in the hands and on the head--than the photographs I've seen of them would indicate.

May 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #188 of 431
I'm more or less confident that these will be my next set of closed cans, barring some sudden wave of bad reviews or something. SE530 sound with more highs? Nothing else I can ask for, really. And I really like the look of these also.

May 14, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #189 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Styling...

I have heard alot of comments about the styling on the headphones, some good, some bad but all very valid and useful.

How here's a question...

At each Shure model price point, what model would you consider the design benchmark ie. the best designed headphone at the given price?

Benchmark against:

-SRH240 ($59)
-SRH440 ($99)
-SRH840 ($199)

Please pick one model each in these general price points to benchmark against the Shure model. I am curious to know what everyone thinks is a good design vs. a bad design and why...

Thanks!

I'd say that some of the benchmarks for SRH840 ($199) are:
- Audio Technica ATH-M50
- M-Audio Q40
- Sony MDR-7509HD
- Several models of the Ultrasone PRO and DJs

I think for a professional studio monitor, good looks similar to those found on the Ultrasone line are not a pre-requisite. Of course, they add a nice touch. Sound quality, durability, functionality, serviceability, portability are more important. To that end, I think Shure designed a very good product (SRH840).
atsmile.gif

I like the foldability, the fact that the cable can be easily replaced like the Ultrasones. What I don't like is the same visible thin cables threading from the sides of the headband through each side of the ear-cups as found on the Q40s. I would venture to guess that these cables represent another set of weak spots where breakage during heavy studio use might occur. A better solution is to hide these cables. But in all, a nice product.

And Jude, thanks for the pictures.

May 14, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #190 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that the cat's out of the bag, I can talk about the SRH840 now.

I had the opportunity to test out the SRH840 for a couple of months.

Here's a brief run down of my impressions:

The Good:
Huge soundstage for closed headphones. Smooth sound, incredible bass response. Plenty of slam, but without being overly boomy sounding. With the sub $200 price point, the SRH840 offers the best bang for the buck for all full sized cans.

The Bad:
As with any "DJ" style closed headphones, they can be painful to wear for some with sensitive ears. And since it's isolating, the clamping pressure is uncomfortable to wear for those that wear glasses. The coiled headphone cable was heavy, awkward, and very microphonic.

The Ugly:
Styling leaves much to be desired. The first time I saw them, I expected them to say "Sony" on the sides. I understand that the SRH840 is aimed towards the studio monitoring market, but it doesn't mean that they couldn't have received some proper Industrial Design treatment.

All in all, the big sound out of sealed, closed headphones is the most amazing part. And they roll up into a pretty portable size for tossing into one's bag.

-Ed

At that price I don't care if it got the ugly stick treatment.
biggrin.gif

How does it compare to any of the open phones you've listened to? Maybe the K701, HD580, HD600 etc.

Anyway can we please have a Head-fi pre-order? Maybe an advanced release for us?

May 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #191 of 431
How about the pressure on your head?

I had a pair of HD-280's (for use at work so I don't disturb my officemate) but it felt like I was putting my head in a vise. Returned them right away.

Do these clamp down really hard?

May 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #193 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Styling...

How here's a question...

Benchmark against:

-SRH240 ($59)
-SRH440 ($99)
-SRH840 ($199)

Thanks!

I don't really like to judge the style without having them in my own hands, but briefly based on the pictures:

-SRH240 ($59).
No idea...

-SRH440 ($99)
AKG K 81 DJ. I think the Shure looks classier and less flimsy in design.

-SRH840 ($199)
Sennheiser HD25. You look like a dork wearing the Senns in public (which I sometimes do). The Senns are workhorses that can take any beating though. The 840s looks better to me but the hd25 has a unique style which I guess the Shures has not, to the same degree at least.

May 15, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #195 of 431
Jude,
Are these more like ultrasone 780s than d2000s in sound signature? or are they between the 2. Also wondering if you prefer these to the denon d2000/d5000 cans. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back