Lead-Free Solders
Dec 24, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

uranium is also natural in the earth, but you don't see people just tossing that into normal landfills all the time either.

wanna bet ? Happens all the time and you would be amazed to know what atually was radioactive
wink.gif

BTW any state rich in pegmatites (the bedrock) will also have large amounts of uranium and that includes my state.I actually collected some low grade from and abandoned mine in the raw state (autunite) and then thinking on it wondered if it was dangerous so i asked a local mineralogist about any dangers and he told me to just not walk around with it in my pocket if i ever want to have kids
very_evil_smiley.gif

sorry tomo.Back on topic.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
uranium is also natural in the earth, but you don't see people just tossing that into normal landfills all the time either. Just because it's natural doesn't mean that it's not harmful. Lead wasn't meant to be piled in landfills and seep into the groundwater...

Of course, I could be wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

In the Ontario Science Centre, there's an exhibit with a chunk of uranium that's about the size of a beer can. It's behind a dome of plexiglass, and there's a handle attached to it so you can try to lift it and see how heavy it is. It's not going to kill you, it's not going to give you cancer, and it's not going to make you sick unless you eat it.

Back to the lead-free topic. I worked in the electronics assembly industry before I became a Customs bum. No one is looking forward to switching to lead-free solder, the guys on the floor, the quality & process control engineers, the equipment maintenance guys, the equipment manufacturer reps, pretty much everyone except the sales & marketing doorknobs all agree that it'll be a complete pain in the ass. Costs go up, reliability goes down, yield goes down, and some things can't even be built with lead-free solders because of the higher temps required and sub-par flow.

And that's why I have a couple 5-pound spools of good old eutectic tin/lead solder. Hopefully it's enough to last the rest of my life.

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #33 of 46
Hi,

On to the subject of SOLDERING Lead-Free stuffs!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I just found a small segument telling of a cool idea. If you make small grooves on the tip, your tip will stay "tinned" thus preventing from Oxidation. May be I should go buy a new tip and curve grooves. ...

Do you think most of new tips come pre-tinned? ... I hope they are not tinned with Sn/Pd Solder. ...

Tomo

P.S. Can we stop talking about Radioactive stuff? It is pretty unrelated. Forgive me impatience ... I suppose I am slightly panicking. I think my new boss is expecting me to use them as if it is a part of my body. ... Plus, I do not have a large stock of the "GOOD STUFF".

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #34 of 46
Sorry Tomo but sometimes ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
do a google on the riskss from asbestos and why it has been removed from every public building in the states then ask me about the reality and how they used science to prove a possible not an actual.I was in the business of removing it in the early days and it was all about who made and who paid.

You're actually pretty much the last person on earth I would ask. The risks of asbestos in its fibers shape are so well documented and universally acknowledged by now that you're publicly making a fool of yourself by denying them.

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #36 of 46
Wow,

That's pretty sad. ... That would be pretty pathetic to end up in the slammer for solder-trafficking ...

(One of these days, I will kick one of them politicians in the ... really really hard. To think that they get 10 times as much social security check ... upsets me.)

But now back to soldering the crappy stuff. ... So the solder joint should never cool below 13C. Arrgh crap!!

Tomo

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #37 of 46
My RS RoHS information booklet says that leaded solders will still be available
after 1st July 2006 for those who require it for repairs/rework and medical instruments etc.

Overall the leaflet does not exactly paint a rosy picture for manufactures though....

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Sure it will and there is another thread here from about six months ago where I post some content as to why.I receive a bazillion industry trade jurnals every week and the real story comes from the techs who do the work and they are mostly in agreement on this

I posted in that thread too; I ran out of time to do home experiments, but have been reading journals, and speaking to people at the Joining division at uni

Quote:

because they must or cease operations and they are just doing what is smart-switching now instead of the last minute.You would not beleive the crap propaganda I get from the semiconductor manufacturers and electronics suppliers telling me why this is a good thing and how they are compliant while the engineers are moaning that it is all a pack of lies.

Quote:

they have been trying to cure cancer for far longer.Have been trying to make fusion power a reality since the '50s.Have been trying to send humans to the stars for many years.

time alone does not make the impossible possible.

This is merely a case of metallurgy and adaptation, there is no fundamental problem in using lead-free solders. There are no real theoretical gaps in our knowledge of this field that require any great leaps of imagination.

Quote:

Seems to me folks were a whole lot smarter before they realised how stupid they should be because of all the damage done to their brains by lead.I don't know if this is scam or "truethful" science based but if anything like the asbestos "scam" then I for one am suspicious.

Asbestos was more a case of government ignorance. There are different kinds of asbestos, but only one "colour" is carcinogenic, as it contains sharp needles that don't break down (asbestos amphilobes). Chrysotile exists as more of a fluffy material and is non-toxic, although levels of exposure are still tightly restricted
Quote:

Lead is a natural element and comes from the earth.It is not manufactured from thin air or invented so it seems to me there should be a way to just put it back into the earth where it came from !

Well, yes. That seems pretty obvious. But, why pull it out of ore in the first place when it is toxic to humans, and a finite resource. Granted, copper and tin are also hard to extract, more expensive, and finite. See later on sustainability.

Quote:

Landfills ? Those are a thing of the past around here and all garbage is now trucked out to some nameless area for dumping where no one is looking.Why ? Because we have become a disposable society that foxes nothing and treasures nothing.If it breaks gun it and buy new.Ever think about all the packaging you toss into the trash in an average week ?

What you have described IS a landfill! Of course I think about what happens when rubbish is thrown out, we live next to an old quarry that was going to be turned into a landfill, and have delivered down to one as well... The fact that we have become a throw away society is not a good thing, and something that is not sustainable. A few simple choices can drastically reduce the amount of rubbish you produce in a given time. For example, we try to get unbleached paper bags from shops where possible, then compost them for use on the garden

Quote:

Lead is not the problem.Building crap that breaks is and this another weak link in the reliability chain but a solid link in the "if it breaks i can sell more stuff" chain.I only wonder where it will all go in a couple of years !

Lead IS the problem, but not the one you describe there. How many companies do you know still run 386 PCs, simply because they still work? Presently, the lifespan is not dictated by the reliability of the components, more the whims of the consumer. I hope this situation changes. For example, many people doing stats in one of the departments uses a 200MHz laptop with 64MB RAM for ALL their stats use, and is still perfectly up to the task. Computers (for everyday office use) reached their peak at around that speed. Anything after and the user is the limiting case.

Dec 24, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Actually it is entirely a EU thing and either you comply or you are shut out of the European market totally so every manufacturer is changing over.The sad news is the technology,the actual science sucks big wood and is a piss poor excuse for what we have now no matter how big the propanganda machine and ad campaign to try and convince otherwise.
Read the smokescreen content the trade puts out to convince us all a stick directly in our eye really does not hurt then do some actual research.The truth behind the myth is not pretty with reliability on the verge of taking a major hit.
frown.gif

Wow. Rick is on the gonge.

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #41 of 46
Hey,

May be we should seriously think about stock piling. Cardas and those goodie Lead-FREEs dont cut it, none of them will. But I will go ask around and see. (Guzzler - Please do. I would appreciate it.)

Tomo

P.S. If any of you are a Japanese politician, watch your back-side for Mad-Tomo-with-Steel-Toe-Boots.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #43 of 46
Dec 25, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Armed with this evidence I think I'll pop the hood on "everything" I buy that is lead free and resolder it with some good old 60/40..... time to stockpile leaded solder methinks.

Hum... didn't you read this ?

Quote:

In rework situations it is important to always use the same lead-free alloy used in the original manufacturing process because when two different types of solder are mixed, unpredictable alloys can be formed, resulting in questionable reliability of the solder joint.

I kinda doubt you'd be able to remove all the lead free solder and you could be doing more harm than good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back