LDIII - LDIVSE - Earmax Pro
Jul 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chunkeymonkey

New Head-Fier
Ive read some great threads on here, but now that its time to get a new amp I'd like some opinions on these three. I'm based in the UK and am looking to buy here which does means missing out on some US designs. I've heard good reviews on each of these amps and although they are at different price points my main issue is that the amp is musical and involving rather than overly detailed and fatigueing. I listen to a wide range of music and will also use this for home cinema, I'm listening through a pair of Sennheiser  HD580's.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which pairing would work out best,

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Earnax Pro will work well with HD 580, Earmax Silver if you have low impedance headphones as K701.

You will find a lot to read on Head-fi if you do a search on Earmax.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 7
I went for the EMP, and what a surprise. This is my first higher end headphone amp, but I'm bowled over by it. Voices come through with amazing realism and detail, the space around the different instruments allows you to hear each play its part, but mostly its the way that the "Hi Fi" disappears and you are just aware of a large musical soundscape. I found it needs a while to warm up nicely, maybe half an hour or more, and that a silver interconnect gave it a bit more sparkle, or maybe just that it is revealing about the characteristics of the leads used with it, Ive read it is quite valve sensitive.
I'm looking forward to many happy hours going through my music collection : )

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, it is transparent and reveals differences between interconnects. It can be rewarding to try different tubes, but unfortunately easy to become too involved with that and collect too many tubes. There are probably no test tubes but many that are good and something one can like. Happy listening!

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your feedback Anders, I did look at some other posts on valves for the EMP, but these turned out to be pretty pricey. For the moment I'll keep enjoying it as it is, but its good to know I can experiment with getting a different sound out of it in the future.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Listening now. The EarMax Pro Silver Edition is GREAT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back