LD 1+ replacement (doesn't cut it for solo piano)
Nov 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
While I enjoy the sound of my LD1+, the intermittent hisses and cracks from the tubes make it difficult to listen to solo piano and other quiet jazz recordings. I've tried cleaning the contacts, replacing tubes, etc. but the amp simply isn't quiet enough.

My preffered tube is an RCA 6AK5 which seem to make the amp sound pretty neutral. Most other tubes that I've tried (in the same family) make the amp sound too warm for my tastes.

So...

I'm looking for recommendations for a neutral sounding ~$200-300 solid state desktop amp. No bells or whistles are necessary - just neutral and quiet. At the moment, I'm looking at the Musical Fidelity V-CAN (seems to have volume control issues) and the Matrix M-Stage V2 (from coolfungadget).

Primary headphones are Denon AH-D2000 which suit my needs perfectly, so the amp would have to be a good match to low impendence 'phones to avoid any hiss. I want quiet!

Any recommendations from jazz afficianados for amps that you have heard would be appreciated. No other speculation please.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back