LCD3 -> SR-009?
Dec 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Axel

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

Enjoying my lovely pair of LCD3s with my ifi amplifier, while reading the jaw-dropping reviews about the Stax SR-009, created an itch...

I can get a good deal on the SR-009 (close to japan price), and thought of combining the WOO audio WEE with a cheap s/h tube integrated amplifier (EL84 or similar).
Will I be able to get the same silky smooth sound from this combination compared to the LCD3s? Or am I better off upgrading my dedicated headphones amp for my LCD3s (Leben/Woo WA22/WOO WA6SE)?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 4
This is a question better asked in the Summit-Fi forum.

This, ask in the Stax thread.  They know more about the SR-009's performance on various different amplifiers.

I have heard the LCD-3 and SR-009 at their best, but I don't know how it sounds with the WEE + a cheap integrated amp.  I will say that at their best, the SR-009 does not have the same kind of relaxed, laid back feel that the LCD-3 has.  You're more likely to get this kind of sound with the Stax SR-007Mk1 paired with the right amplifier (on the HeadAmp BHSE the SR-007Mk1 sounds far more neutral than the LCD-3, just slightly laid back in certain treble regions at best but I'm going off memory).

Both the SR-007 and SR-009 sound much more natural to me than the LCD-3.  They're just so much more transparent, they really are unbelievable especially the SR-009.  Even though its sound signature isn't similar to the LCD-3's, I wouldn't be surprised if a well driven one blows your socks off. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 4
This is a question better asked in the Summit-Fi forum.

This, ask in the Stax thread.  They know more about the SR-009's performance on various different amplifiers.

I have heard the LCD-3 and SR-009 at their best, but I don't know how it sounds with the WEE + a cheap integrated amp.  I will say that at their best, the SR-009 does not have the same kind of relaxed, laid back feel that the LCD-3 has.  You're more likely to get this kind of sound with the Stax SR-007Mk1 paired with the right amplifier (on the HeadAmp BHSE the SR-007Mk1 sounds far more neutral than the LCD-3, just slightly laid back in certain treble regions at best but I'm going off memory).

Both the SR-007 and SR-009 sound much more natural to me than the LCD-3.  They're just so much more transparent, they really are unbelievable especially the SR-009.  Even though its sound signature isn't similar to the LCD-3's, I wouldn't be surprised if a well driven one blows your socks off. 

Thanks for the tips! Moved my question to the Stax thread on the Summit-Fi sub-forum.

I've continued my discussion with you (Rhamnetin) on the Stax thread see here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back