LCD2 WA6SE/bifrsot or HA160D
Dec 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Creizai

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some LCD2s and I'm having trouble deciding on which route I should go.  I'm leaning towards the HA160D because it is an all in one solution and slightly cheaper.  I'm coming from ATH-900 through a Zonar DX

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 10
i've read that hte Schiit Lyr does very well with the orthos, and the Lyr Bifrost is supposed to be a nice combo.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Any chance to demo gear where you live? they three amps posted are different monsters. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I'm looking to buy some LCD2s and I'm having trouble deciding on which route I should go.  I'm leaning towards the HA160D because it is an all in one solution and slightly cheaper.  I'm coming from ATH-900 through a Zonar DX

if u like soundstage wa6se is a lot better. if u like prat burson and bass slam burson is better. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 10
I would take the WA6SE with a Bifrost because of 2 options;

1; You still got a great dac if you find out that later down the road, that the WA6SE doesn´t match a new headphone (im nearly 99% sure that the ha-160d can´t act as a stand alone dac, only as an preamp)
2; With the WA6SE you can roll tubes if you find a small urge to make things a little sweeter :)

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopedpanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(im nearly 99% sure that the ha-160d can´t act as a stand alone dac, only as an preamp)

http://bursonaudio.com/HA_160D.html

Boom, lawyered.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 10
I am not familiar with the ha160d model but i have a ha-160 amp with an upgraded fuse(hi-fi tuning silver star fuse) and am using the amp with a kubala sosna emotion power cord and i have to say the results i am getting with this combination drivng a audeze lcd2 rev 2 is simply astounding.The resolution is amazing, the bass rock solid the soundstage is very satisfying with good depth and really good imaging.Low level details are there like i have never heard before.I believe imho that burson amps are great amps especially considering their pricing.I think that even at twice the price they would be good values.I say go for the burson you cannot go wrong.But i would suggest at least upgrade the stock fuse with the hifi tuning silver star or supreme fuse.Upgrading the fuse is an excellent way to substantially improve the performance of your amp and the cost is very affordable in relation to the marked improvement is in sound quality.       
                                                                                                                                                            buson160man

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
i've read that hte Schiit Lyr does very well with the orthos, and the Lyr Bifrost is supposed to be a nice combo.

That is the other option I'm currently looking at since it has a much better price point, and it would be harder to justify 600$ for the Woo Audio amp.  If it sounds better than yes, we already know it looks sexier so that counts for something doesn't it?

Quote:
Any chance to demo gear where you live? they three amps posted are different monsters. 

I'm In Gaithersburg, MD which is like 30minutes north of Washington, DC.  I could wait for the Meet in VA possibly. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Problem with the Schiit lyr (like i understood it) is it nearly got to much power.

Its not really a good amplifier for headphones with a low impedance and can really make them pay for it. Its nearly more on the speaker side of things when talking amps, than on the headphone side. So with the WA or Burson, you get an amplifier that can drive both low and high impedance (while i consider the WA to be more of a fan for the higher impedances also, but not as much as the lyr)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back