LCD-3 with Balancing Act or Darkstar vs Stax 009 with Stax SRM-007tii
Jan 27, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 17
No disrespect meant to Schiit. I'm glad they seem to always be in the conversation since they provide a value option like no other. I'm guessing they've forced many of their competitors to re-evaluate the price point of their products which benefits all of us consumers. I'm certainly hoping they raise the bar further when their statement pieces come out later this year. Without hesitation, I am a fan. That's one of the things I truly appreciate about dynamic headphones is that there are so many quality options. I know the same can't be said about electrostats.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #17 of 17
While this thread is old, simply to update any prospective headfiers, the Darkstar (great amp) and LCD3 (not my preferred headphone, which is HE6 with DS) is not in the same league as the superior 009+SR007M2...different technology and price points obviously, although that in itself is not an overwhelmingly justifying reason, purely IMO.  

I was instantly stuck by the sheer presence/soundstage of the Stax combo and clarity - for jazz over what I have been hearing for years on other good dynamic headphones.  I love my DS and will not part with it or HE6 easily, unlike my LCD3 which for me is abit more disposable, great headphone for many that it is if you like its particular signature. I would look to upgrade my Stax amp in due course, but I have thoroughly enjoyed (and will continue to) the DS+Hifiman combination for my type of music. I hope this is useful for someone and happy to elaborate. I was trying to understand if the Stax 007M2 had any easy tube upgrading possibilities (without getting overly technical), but seems not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back