LCD-2 plus Continental v.2 or Rx mkII?
Feb 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

FatmanSize48

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying an LCD-2 and a CLAS, but have not yet decided on an amp. I have narrowed it down to these two, can afford either one, but dont know which one to get. Any advice would be appreciated.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 28

Quote:
I'm planning on buying an LCD-2 and a CLAS, but have not yet decided on an amp. I have narrowed it down to these two, can afford either one, but dont know which one to get. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just ordered this setup with the Continental V2 and I am thrilled, amazed and gobsmacked at the portable sound I now have. As I have not heard the Rx MkII, you might find this review helpful: http://www.headfonia.com/the-sweet-sound-of-tube-the-alo-continental-amplifier/

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 28
Thanks! I did a comparison at a friend of a friend's house, and loved the Continental...can't wait for it to come

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 28
I am using Westone ES5 with Cypher Labs and SR-71B. I just got the Continental V2 today and right out of the box, they are amazing. I like it better than the SR-71B. It is more open and musical. Does anyone know if it needs break in?

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 28
The RX MK III is debuting soon, so I have cancelled the Continental order...I think the MK III may be a real game changer.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 28
The tubes sound great, but does the Continental have the ability to drive the LCD-2s to their utmost? From what I have heard, the RX MKIII will be able to drive even the HD 800s at ease...

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 28
It has been answered but I havve both the RXII & the Continental V1, both of which I use with the Solo & with the LCD2,as with all my full size headphones, the Coninental is way better. V2 will sound as good or better I'm sure.  The RXII is great with my portable headphones & IEMs, but isn't a great match for Orthos, at least IMHO.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 28
I have both... driving LCD2 rev 2 + ALO Salty Pepper cable.  
Both amps works with with LCD2.  But the Continental ended up getting more playtime than the RxII.

The RxII demonstrated excellent dynamic with LCD2--allowing you to feel percussion in the track.
The trade-off is a noticeable grain compared to the smooth sounding Continental.  
Now I'm keeping both--RxII for energetic genres and Continental for the more relaxing ones.

But if I have to choose between the two it would be the Continental, which is my personal preference.
So I think it depends on your preference.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 28
I really like my Continental and I wonder how it will compare to the National?

http://aloaudio.com/thenational.html

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 28
I doubt the National will be as good as the Continental. They don't have very many tubes, so they have to do this. It is just a solid state amp now. I have no interest in this. I have other solid state amps Ray Samuels SR-71B and Continental is way better. The National may work good with in ear headphones since it goes down lower in the ohms department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back