LCD-2 Mono Recording off Center, Cable Swapping, am I Losing my Mind?!?
Jul 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Defiant00

1000+ Head-Fier
Was listening to my LCD-2s and noticed the sound seemed slightly off center (towards the right). Since I was using foobar I switched it into mono mode and confirmed that everything was slightly to the right (I know my hearing is ever so slightly to the right as well, but this is more than normal).

I then switched the cable around on the LCD-2 and found that everything was then slightly to the left. So as far as I can tell that means that the LCD-2s themselves are at least not to blame, so I went and tried other combinations of equipment; here's what I've tried:

Laptop -> Bifrost (USB) -> Asgard -> LCD-2
Desktop -> random stereo receiver (Optical) -> LCD-2

I've tried the LCD-2 with two different stock cables, one that I've been using since I got them and the other that I just took out of the bag about 10 minutes ago.

I tried the original song downmixed through foobar, converted to mono through audacity and then played through foobar and windows media player.

In all these scenarios with the cables hooked up correctly the mono track seems slightly to the right and when inverted seems slightly to the left.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend I check; or perhaps any insight into anything with the LCD-2 or otherwise that might be causing this?

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 2
Alright, looks like I'm probably just crazy. Just tried it with both my other pairs of headphones and it seems to be the same with those. Also tried it with a couple other outputs on my computer and same result. Then had a friend put the Grados on my head either reversed or normal without me knowing which and I only got it right about 50% of the time, so seems like it's probably entirely in my head.

Certainly been an interesting experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back