LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jun 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #287 of 1,111

Quote:
The fashion photographer. Bruce Weber, did a great documentary film on Chet Baker, titled, "Let's Get Lost." I don't know if it's available on DVD (?). If you're a fan, and have not seen this, definitely seek it out

I've been meaning to watch it.  He's the kind of singer I never thought I'd listen to but whenever I hear him I can't turn away.  I've heard jazz musicians say that also.  

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #288 of 1,111

Quote:
I havent heard dreamland yet. I will have to give dreamland a try. I like the above one because of its lay backed style and it has some cool things going on in the background/soundstage.

You'll probably like Dreamland too.  It is very laid back.  It's mostly covers with, I think, three originals.  Also check out, Careless Love, her first record on the Rounder label.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #290 of 1,111
I have Careless Love. It is also a good album, but its a bit loud and forward. It could have been mastered better.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #294 of 1,111
Here are a few that may challenge conventional tastes.  These are probably love it or hate it.  So don't go ordering any of these without listening as you may really hate them.   Needless to say, I love these...

More serious bass, from one of my favorites.  This is probably one of her more accessible albums:

From one of the most innovative and original bands that defy classification -

There's not much in the realms that approach rock that interests me anymore, but 16 Horsepower are an exception - I have every one of their albums and never tire of any of them. Here's a video directed by Brother's Quay of 16 Horsepower, doing, Black Soul Choir - great video!

Sadly the band broke up in the mid 2005.  David Eugene Edwards went on to form Woven Hand, which I find a bit darker.  Their version of, "Ain't no Sunshine (When She's Gone)", is absolutely devastating in a slit your wrists kind of way.  This is a great one for headphones (assuming you enjoy the rendition).  Anything Edwards is involved in probably has some pretty complex layered elements of musical texture and sound.

16 Horsepower and Woven Hand were always more popular in Europe.  Here's a collaboration by Woven Hand and Ultima Vez

Another entirely original love or hate, who is a musical genius as far as I'm concerned:

I love all his stuff - On headphones in the later work, again, lots of layering and musical and acoustic texture going on.  I love the spoken piece, "Circus" on this album, and a great live version on, "Glitter and Doom."  A lot of folks just don't like Tom's vocals - I find them entirely appropriate for the material.  But if you prefer something more approachable, go back to my Holly Cole recommendation of her album, "Temptation" which is entirely covers of Tom Waits, as is this one by John Hammond Jr.

Moving on...again, love it or hate it material...

And for some seriously polarizing music, there's always Jeff Mangum. 

I love his lyrics...

Quote:

Oh Comely

Code:
 Oh comely I will be with you when you lose your breath Chasing the only meaningful memory you thought you had left With some pretty bright and bubbly terrible scene That was doing her thing on your chest But oh comely It isn't as pretty as you'd like to guess Oh comely All of your friends are letting you blow Bristling and ugly Bursting with fruits falling out from the holes Of some pretty bright and bubbly friend You could need to say comforting things in your ear But oh comely There isn't such one friend that you could find here Standing next to me He's only my enemy I'll crush him with everything I own Your father made fetuses With flesh licking ladies While you and your mother Were asleep in the trailer park Thunderous sparks from the dark of the stadiums The music and medicine you needed for comforting So make all your fat fleshy fingers to moving And pluck all your silly strings And bend all your notes for me Soft silly music is meaningful magical The movements were beautiful All in your ovaries All of them milking with green fleshy flowers While powerful pistons were sugary sweet machines Smelling of semen all under the garden Was all you were needing when you still believed in me And I know they buried her body with others Her sister and mother and 500 families And will she remember me 50 years later I wished I could save her in some sort of time machine Know all your enemies We know who are enemies are Goldaline my dear We will fold and freeze together Far away from here There is sun and spring and green forever But now we move to feel For ourselves inside some stranger's stomach Place your body here Let your skin begin to blend itself with mine

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #295 of 1,111
I had to add a more universally appealing album to offset that last group of selections.  Can't go wrong with Ray...Powerful performer too, contrasting strongly with an otherwise very shy and quiet stage presence. 

Another longtime favorite from the realms if, dare I say, pop.  A gifted artist in her own right:

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #296 of 1,111
I have most of those above except John Hammonds Wicked Grin which I found just now at my county library.  

I have all of Laurie Anderson's works. Was just listening to "Walking & Falling" and "My Right Eye"!  Been following her since the mid 70's.  Same thing with Tom Waits. Fist saw him around 1973.  I've seen him in concert many times in the 80's.  He came around to my area 'recently but unfortunately his tickets run too high these days.    I just finished painting the interior of my home and listened to all of his tunes while painting.

I love all of Tom Waits recordings but my favorite live recording is "Nighthawks at the Dinner"  He is a true American treasure.

My daughter turned me on to Joanna Newsom.  I listen to "Bridges and Balloons" a lot but I can't warm up to her.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #297 of 1,111
Back to something entirely unclassifiable - I no longer have a copy of this - gone with my LP collection.  This cut would be amazing on headphones.  It would always give me goosebumps....very odd and beautiful and intense. On the self-titled album it is from it is the only such cut that is in such classic form, but the album is entirely unique - more a product of the pop era of the 80's.  I would get it just to have a copy of, The Cold Song. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #298 of 1,111

Quote:
I have most of those above except John Hammonds Wicked Grin which I found just now at my county library.  

I have all of Laurie Anderson's works. Was just listening to "Walking & Falling" and "My Right Eye"!  Been following her since the mid 70's.  Same thing with Tom Waits. Fist saw him around 1973.  I've seen him in concert many times in the 80's.  He came around to my area 'recently but unfortunately his tickets run too high these days.    I just finished painting the interior of my home and listened to all of his tunes while painting.

I love all of Tom Waits recordings but my favorite live recording is "Nighthawks at the Dinner"  He is a true American treasure.

My daughter turned me on to Joanna Newsom.  I listen to "Bridges and Balloons" a lot but I can't warm up to her.

You have all of Laurie Anderson....how about this one?

Completely agree on Tom Waits - well said; "An American Treasure"  If you haven't seen it, check out the episode of, "Fishing with John", that John Lurie did with Tom Waits...hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back