LCD-2 for portable use? Am I crazy?
Jul 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Luv My BASS 1

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

A person on Craigslist (who may be of below average intellect) is willing to sell me his gently used LCD-2 for $550.

The vast majority of my listening is done on the go, out of my iPhone through my FiiO E12. I know they're an open design, but is it feisable to use these on the go?

Btw, these headphones look damn sexy.

Also, I would be willing to get a more powerful portable amp, if that would be an issue.

EDIT: I listen to DnB, Hip Hop, Rock, Trance and Jazz.

Jul 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Short answer: No, you won't hear much unless there is little ambient noise. Open nature of the headphones allows even slight ambient noises to drown out your music. You'll also get looked at funny, unless your avant-garde by nature.

Source: Own them.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 19
Hi-rez had a pair of LCD-3's at the denver meet being driven by a Pico portable amp. Sounded really good. Think he used them in a portable rig as well... If anything you can sell them later or trade them. See denver meet impressions thread for some notes.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 19
Should be fine with a fairly powerful portable amp on very high vol. Just be aware that you'd become a primary target for mugging with a thousand-dollar pair of cans around your head out and about, so unless you live and work in a rich safe neighbourhood, it's not recommended.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Hell what are you waiting for...buy LCDs off him before he gets smart. But in the same time it could be some kind of HiFier trap. Lure you in with a good deal then.....BAM..your cheap prostitude chained up to a bed in some projects. If I was you I'll take a friend. That way you can have someone to talk to when your both chained up to the beds.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, that's what I thought. I sometimes use my SR80i on the go, and the sound still gets through. Do you know of any mods that make the LCD-2 leak less and isolate more? I just don't wanna pass up this amazing deal.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 19
You can seal them but it changes the sound dramatically. If i was you i would sell or trade for something that gets you what you want. I have the LCD2s (bamboo) and they sound amazing. but they leak sound in both directions.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 19
I'm still of the opinion that the LCD 2 is the best looking headphone ever made, and that this deal is far too good to pass up. But how does sealing them change the sound, and how does one go about doing it?

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 19
From what i can remember Audeze kicked around the idea of a sealed set of cans. but I cant really explain the change. when i put my hands over the vents it changes it...makes the sound a lil more muffled. if you do manage to make them into a closed system you might end up sacraficing some of the qualities that the LCDs has to offer.I cant really explain it in detail unless im doing it and explaining it in the same time. but yea no doubt they are amazing looking. The LCDs are made to be used at home relaxed or in an enviroment with little or no background noise (also where you wont bother people while listening to Culture Clash at its highest possible volume). But yea....go get them cans!!!

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Do they leak more, less or around the same as the SR80i?

They leak a ridiculous amount more than typical open on-ear headphones like SR80i. Basically you'll be wearing portable speakers pointing outwards from your head with planars like LCD2.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 19
If you're set on getting them, use them indoors. I'd recommend getting a complementary pair of IEMs for outdoor use. Modding them defeats the purpose of their signature and design (and will insight an angry mob).

ee62adcd_rosewood4.jpeg
3da400b8_rosewood5.jpeg

Won't deny the looks. Images courtesy of Justin

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Well, I acted too slow for this specific pair. A headphone aficionado in the area snagged these before I could. I don't think I would have been happy with them anyway. I will definitely wait on the closed back Audeze, and may buy them if the price is justified. However, from the looks of the prototypes, they just don't have the awe factor of the LCD2/3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back