LCD-2 Amp / DAC Upgrade
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

izal650

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my headphone set up and was wondering if you might have some suggestions.

My set up is as follows: Macbook Pro - Little Dot DAC_1 - Little Dot MKIV - Audeze LCD-2 / HD650

I feel that the MKIV isn't quite doing the LCD-2's justice power-wise, and have been shopping around for a replacement. I'm looking into options in the $1,000 - 1,200 range and have had my eye on the Woo Audio WA6-SE as a possible replacement. That said, I would also consider upgrading my DAC instead of the amp if that would make a more discernible difference in sound.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 2
So first of all there is already an LCD2 amp recommendations thread but here is what I think.  According to Audeze you should have at least 1W into 50ohms in order to power the LCD2 without clipping.  The amps around that price range that put out at least that much power are usually solid state but there are a couple of tube amps as well.  But if you really want a "tube-y" sound than you might want to also check out the vioelectric V200.  Also since you seem to be a fan of little dot the MK VI+ is a wonderful amp that will have enough power to power the audezes.  Also you can always tube roll it to perfection. 

I personally think that the DAC will make a bigger difference in sound but if you feel like you aren't getting the most out of your audeze's power wise than I would go for the amp first.  Plus if you get the little dot MK VI+ than you will have a little money left over for a dac 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back