Layman's quick review/complaints about Triple.Fi 10s
Dec 17, 2010 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

wyager

Head-Fier
So, I've had my TF10s for around a day now, and I just have some really quick thoughts I'd like to share with anyone considering purchasing these. I guess I'll let this take the form of a pros/cons list.

Pros:
The IEMs themselves feel very sturdy! I got some milk on one, it still works fine. They are tightly sealed.
Sound is good (although honestly, I can't tell the difference between these and my HJE900s when using my iPod touch).
AMAZING isolation! I would feel comfortable shooting in these things, they perform better than most cheap foam earplugs. I honestly can't hear anything when music is playing. This is with the foam tips BTW, isolation is still better than average with the silicone tips.
Replaceable cable (thank god). (Note-I imagine it would be really easy to make your own cable for these things. A standard breadboarding jumper cable fits perfectly, for example.)
Awesome included accessories. Loads of tips (2 pairs of foam tips too), and the metal carrying case is sweet, along with lots of other stuff.
1 year warranty.

Cons:
Awful stock cables. The memory wire near the IEMs is a good idea, but it takes a really long time to get them to feel right. The cable is way too springy, and dents are already appearing in the plastic. Very small strain relief on the base, NONE on the IEM itself. These won't last long. They also make it VERY difficult to put the things inside their carrying case, for a multitude of reasons.
Plastic construction. I wish there was more metal/other sturdy materials here (thinking of the zirconia on my HJE900s).
Large (no way you can sleep with these things in) and non-ergonomic. It took me a lot of fiddling to be comfortable with them, while with most IEMs you can just stick them in and forget they're there.

This is all I can think of for now, but I'll add more if I think of it. Basically, for <$200 these are a really good deal and worth the price (if you can get/did get them for <$100 then AMAZING deal). You usually see these things compared to (and often marginally losing to) IEMs like the Shure 535, which is ridiculous IMO considering the hundreds of dollars in price difference. Keep in mind that these can be upgraded to the often much more expensive Triple.Fi 10vi with a cheap cable swap, and the problem with the crappy stock cables can be fixed by purchasing one of many compatible cables or even building your own (which I may try in the future).

Super short version:buy these if you don't want to move up to the >$400 price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back