Law of Diminishing Returns
Mar 4, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #121 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm suggesting is that it's possible to be happy at the $100 mark. Not everyone is, of course, but I think the possibility exists for everyone. :O)

Which most would agree, it's that you also seemed to be suggesting that more detailed cans wouldn't help you enjoy the music more.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #123 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which most would agree, it's that you also seemed to be suggesting that more detailed cans wouldn't help you enjoy the music more.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience, detail and enjoyment aren't necessarily related to each other (or to price). Other folks may disagree, which is okay.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #124 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevie Ray Vaughn is Metal?

Who knew?!

I have no idea who he is (I thought of the jazz/rock musician first), though based that he introduced him in argument against my statement of the poor audio quality of metal concerts I made an assumption that he must be talking of someone else.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #125 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience, detail and enjoyment aren't necessarily related to each other (or to price). Other folks may disagree, which is okay.

Detail is just one of the good attributes, but detail alone might not give the desirable sound to some individuals.

Eargasm is what I look for in headphones, regardless the price. However, none of them are good for all types of music. I ended up with a broken bank for a whole collection, one for each of my favorite types.

My PODR is when I could not find a better pair.

tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #126 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely.

I couldn't agree more. It is completely false and extremely ignorant to make the statement that phones over $100 don't offer any radical increase in SQ. I mean when you think about, it's just plain laughable to imply that there is a large number of people here, typically those more educated with better jobs and having the money to spend, that have all had the wool pulled over their eyes and supposedly duped in to believing they're paying for nothing. That's just plain asinine.

Higher priced headphones offer a completely different, and vastly improved, level of refinement over their lower-tiered brethren. It is noticeable to anyone with a basic level of hearing and is fundamentally undeniable. To make the assertion that this is not the case, and that people are just convincing themselves of such simply because they spent the money, is the very definition of being foolish and displaying willful ignorance.

Bose vs grado sr 60. Bose are more cash grados sound better. You surprimistes just don't know what you are talking about.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #127 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by poundsign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose vs grado sr 60. Bose are more cash grados sound better. You surprimistes just don't know what you are talking about.

Are you just pointing out that there are exceptions to the rule or trying to get at something more. Within the same sound 'type' as the price goes up there is a trend for 'better' headphones. Theough as already stated throughout this thread, there are always exceptions.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #128 of 215
So, um... how much would you guys tell Joe to spend? [Look at the first post if you're confused.] I'm guessing the consensus is $550+... ooh boy...

Joe's not gonna be pleased. Don't even get me started on the cat.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #129 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, um... how much would you guys tell Joe to spend? [Look at the first post if you're confused.] I'm guessing the consensus is $550+... ooh boy...

Joe's not gonna be pleased. Don't even get me started on the cat.

He/she will be once he/she has heard them. Is there really such a thing as an 'average' person anyway. From what I've seen where all preety much different with are own little wierd quirks.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #131 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your thoughtful opinion. You're obviously a person of immodest means.
wink_face.gif

Means has nothing to it with it, my friend. It's just wrong to say that there are not substantial improvements in sound quality from spending more than $100 on phones. Or perhaps I should say it's an uninformed opinion.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #132 of 215
CBF reading the whole thread. Headphones affect the sound more than every other component. Spend most on headphones. Second in the chain would be a decent amp to power it. Spend less on every other component. That's what I say.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #133 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CBF reading the whole thread. Headphones affect the sound more than every other component. Spend most on headphones. Second in the chain would be a decent amp to power it. Spend less on every other component. That's what I say.

I disagree the source is the most important factor. Idprefer to listen to my CA Dac Magic to my Citypulse Ef3.01 to some Senn HD212pros, then listen to my HD600 (or replace with 'higher' end headphone that you like) from the headphone out of my laptop. Every step is important, and I would say from most to least important would be as follows (as a general rule):
1) Source
2) Headphone
3) Amplifier
4) Interconnects

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #134 of 215
I also agree the headphones are the most important external factor. I'd much rather listen to phones I liked unamped than phones I didn't like with any amp.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #135 of 215
Voted <$350. The poll's title doesn't really match the OP, so I went with what was typed in the OP. I will probably end up buying the HD800 if it turns out to be one of the best headphones ever made, but the HD800 is not going to be four times better than the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back