Law of Diminishing Returns
Mar 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #91 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The notion of diminishing returns has nothing to do with whether something is worth it or not (in an absolute sense). The issue is marginal benefit vs. marginal cost. Or to put it another way, one can be facing diminishing returns, but also find that spending more is "worth it." Alternatively, one can also conclude that the "returns" are diminishing at a rate such that further expenditure is not justified. Maybe you were trying to say something like that, but I'm not sure from your crytic statements.

I would say that this is probably the most articulately stated post yet on what "the law of diminishing returns" means.

Well done.
cool.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #92 of 215
The only way to answer this, imo, is to think of it as a graph, with dolllars on the bottom, and improvement on the side, and try to think about where the graph would curve the most. I honestly think it would curve the sharpest at 15 dollars, with the ksc-75. Because that is really the most any of us need to hear all the music that's there. Beyond that, it's just refinement, IMO.

Aside from the KCS-75 anomoly, I think it would also curve hard at 200.

But you can't quantify improvements like this, because past a certian point, it is just different flavors of ice cream, all made with the purest ingredients...

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #93 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way to answer this, imo, is to think of it as a graph, with dolllars on the bottom, and improvement on the side, and try to think about where the graph would curve the most. I honestly think it would curve the sharpest at 15 dollars, with the ksc-75. Because that is really the most any of us need to hear all the music that's there. Beyond that, it's just refinement, IMO.

Aside from the KCS-75 anomoly, I think it would also curve hard at 200.

But you can't quantify improvements like this, because past a certian point, it is just different flavors of ice cream, all made with the purest ingredients...

It's a great challenge to put them into a function. There are too many variables. The greatest variable is the human mind.

If we can confirm that everyone can hear the same, with the same set of monetary value, and same taste of music, then there's a better chance to put them into perspectives.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #95 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by poundsign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you buy a 100 buck set of headphone instead of a 500 buck that leaves 400 for cds and concerts. Live music is better than headphones.

blasphemy! j/k

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #96 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a great challenge to put them into a function. There are too many variables. The greatest variable is the human mind.

If we can confirm that everyone can hear the same, with the same set of monetary value, and same taste of music, then there's a better chance to put them into perspectives.

well then you're just saying it is not answerable, which i agree to, but there is a pretty general concessus regarding certain headphones, like the ksc-75 and ms-1

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #97 of 215
Quote:

if you buy a 100 buck set of headphone instead of a 500 buck that leaves 400 for cds and concerts. Live music is better than headphones.

But once you go to the concert, that's it. It's a one time deal. I've had some of my headphones for years.
icon10.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #98 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sometimes I wish I paid more attention to this law of diminishing returns,
but then I do some drugs and remember why I spent so much money haha

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #99 of 215
Quote:

I one of those who thinks headphones are better than live music. Ever been to a metal concert?

If anyone is seeking audiophile sound, a pair of SR-80s and a used Melos SHA-1 is just about as good as it gets for 500 bones (to me).

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #101 of 215
I rather listen to music in my home then going out to a live music concert with people screaming in my ears. While standing around next to people who didnt wash up this moring.

As that would annoy me too much to enjoy the techno etc.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #103 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm an idiot for not expanding the poll. Look at how many people voted above $550! You guys must be loaded.

I don't think you need to be loaded to spend more than $550.00 on this hobby. It's just a matter of priorities.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #104 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you need to be loaded to spend more than $550.00 on this hobby. It's just a matter of priorities.

Haha... seriously...

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #105 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, I agree. Look at what people pay for cars. I prefer getting a not so expensive car (same functionality as far as i'm concerned, as a result of speed limits etc) and spend my 'saved' money on a quality audio system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back