Latin Music (Spanish, Romanian, Italian, Mexican, Brazilian, etc..)
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #278 of 636
Really getting sick of reggaeton. The genre ends up sounding all the same. It's like every latin hit is reggaeton.

Well, if you're just listening to the same song remixed three different ways... then yeah, it's pretty much all gonna sound about the same! :smile: I hear what yer sayin though. And reggaeton isn't for everyone.

Reggaeton and bachata aren't the only games in town though. There are plenty of other Latin styles and artists to check out. Fwiw, here are three playlists for alternative Latin music. There's some overlap between the lists. But you might find a few new artists to listen to in some of these...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYjCVZb3HFODvZmI66xB0NI7N6q4KejN3
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPbMT4wSxX88p_40K-KOLbVwE51fZcprn
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLinS5uF49IBq2LzEyuGCdBe5twZ102Wq4

Another method I sometimes use is to search for "top tracks" or "popular right now" followed by the name of a specific country on YouTube (e.g. Top Tracks - Peru, or Popular Right Now - Peru). This will give you an idea what YouTubers in a particular country (such as Peru) are actually watching and listening to. If you use these methods, you'll find that Kpop songs, such as BTS's "Boy with Luv" and BlackPink's "Kill This Love" are pretty popular in S. American countries, in addition to the usual reggaeton and other stuff. You may also find a few interesting local or regional artists as well.

Do not forget there are Spanish and Portuguese speakers outside of the Americas as well, in Spain and Portugal, for example.:bulb:

Luv the "Calma" RMX with Alicia Keys btw! Haven't heard that before. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #280 of 636

I'm not crazy about the SQ on alot of Romeo's tracks, but this^ was an interesting series.

The Santos's recently reformed as Aventura btw for this new bachata track. A little bright for my taste (like alot of their work), but not bad. There's a little bit of nudity in this...

I still enjoy some of their older tunes as well.

Henry has also done some interesting solo tracks. I always liked his voice. And the other Santos's also formed a group called Vena, during their hiatus.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #281 of 636
Really getting sick of reggaeton. The genre ends up sounding all the same. It's like every latin hit is reggaeton.

Have you tried any dembow Dominicano btw? It's sort of like reggaeton, only faster and more underground sounding. A bit like kuduro in some ways.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #282 of 636
Well, if you're just listening to the same song remixed three different ways... then yeah, it's pretty much all gonna sound about the same! :smile: I hear what yer sayin though. And reggaeton isn't for everyone.

Reggaeton and bachata aren't the only games in town though. There are plenty of other Latin styles and artists to check out. Fwiw, here are three playlists for alternative Latin music. There's some crossover between the lists. But you might find a few new artists to listen to in some of these...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYjCVZb3HFODvZmI66xB0NI7N6q4KejN3
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPbMT4wSxX88p_40K-KOLbVwE51fZcprn
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLinS5uF49IBq2LzEyuGCdBe5twZ102Wq4

Another method I sometimes use is to search for "top tracks" or "popular right now" followed by the name of a specific country on YouTube (e.g. Top Tracks - Peru, or Popular Right Now - Peru). This will give you an idea what YouTubers in a particular country (such as Peru) are actually watching and listening to. If you use these methods, you'll find that Kpop songs, such as BTS's "Boy with Luv" and BlackPink's "Kill This Love" are pretty popular in S. American countries, in addition to the usual reggaeton and other stuff. You may also find a few interesting local or regional artists as well.

Do not forget there are Spanish and Portuguese speakers outside of the Americas as well, in Spain and Portugal, for example.:bulb:

Luv the "Calma" RMX with Alicia Keys btw! Haven't heard that before. :thumbsup:
Har har... That song (Calma) I really like, and I can see the appeal. It sounds like a normal song with Raggaeton rap mixed in. I really don't mind the rap part (it just seems to blend well at times), and just want the song part to have some original melody instead of the same 'O raggaeton melody that I hear over, and over again...

There's probably reggaeton enthusiasts that think there are some slight variances between the songs or even sub-genres with some differences they notice, but for me, they all sound the same if using that typical melody. It just gets repetitive for me. And for me, interesting part of music is about differences, and variations, song to song.

I dislike kpop girl and boy groups right now as they seem to use the same tiring formula, and the songs don't take the spotlight, but the group member's presence, which I really dislike. A good song should take the spotlight.

Have you tried any dembow Dominicano btw? It's sort of like reggaeton, only faster and more underground sounding. A bit like kuduro in some ways.
There's probably genres I've yet to hear. I just hear reggaetons up da azz from the chart hits. I just take it that it's what's popular now a days.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #283 of 636
I'm not crazy about the SQ on alot of Romeo's tracks, but this^ was an interesting series.

The Santos's recently reformed as Aventura btw for this new bachata track. A little bright for my taste (like alot of their work), but not bad. There's a little bit of nudity in this...

I still enjoy some of their older tunes as well.

Henry has also done some interesting solo tracks. I always liked his voice. And the other Santos's also formed a group called Vena.
Very true, they turned up around 7k up a few knotches that paints a metellic tinge character to the vocals, making it pop out a bit with greater articulation.

It's an interesting sound though, quite different with the strings.

Something I notice is that language effects the song melody. It's good to have varieties of sounding way in how the phrases end, or the song sounds too similar because the lyrics takes over the song with the ending phrase sound (for rhymes, etc..). I notice this with Spanish music, they tend to end the lyrics with same repetitive sounds. Some languages just sound better over others due to how the end wording sounds and much of a variety when making lyrics. It does depend on how the language was constructed.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #284 of 636
Something I notice is that language effects the song melody. It's good to have varieties of sounding way in how the phrases end, or the song sounds too similar because the lyrics takes over the song with the ending phrase sound (for rhymes, etc..). I notice this with Spanish music, they tend to end the lyrics with same repetitive sounds. Some languages just sound better over others due to how the end wording sounds and much of a variety when making lyrics. It does depend on how the language was constructed.

You make some interesting observations, Silver. I wasn't a huge fan of Spanish/Latin pop/rock before reggaeton, because the music and words never really seemed to fit together all that well to my ears. The words and music fit together in reggaeton though. There is a reason for that, which I think I can explain if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back