Latest HF fraud: I GOT SCAMMED! Everybody read, please.
Jun 11, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #47 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously think you should still hand this over to the authorities. If he gets away with this who knows what kind of things he'll do later in his life. It seems like he's still juvenile so he might just get away with minor civil services but at least he'll learn that behind every ill-intended actions there will be consequences.

Someone just need to send mail or inform his father for what his son has tried to do here. I bet his father will beat the crap out of him.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #48 of 112
I'm stoked with this news.
Another win for the good guys
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

PS: I was right, Quang is his real name lol

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #49 of 112
Even though i have only recieve 94% of the refund. I am still very grateful to everyone who have helped to investigate and pushed for solution.

I am situated in Asia and besides PMing and emailing him, i don't think i could have done anything to get him to refund back the money to me.

The actions of the rest of the headfi-ers have really touched me and i have learnt a valuble lesson from buying online.

Once again, thanks to all who have helped and spent time to ensure that the scammer got caught.

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least for once, one of these situations was resolved. A growing community means we take the good with the bad.

Nice, so as far as you know this is the only time a situation like this was resolved? Good to know Plainsong is on the case and keeping score!!

Slippery slope defending one slim shadey while railing against another
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #52 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I also have no feedback, even though I have all kinds of successful transactions. That's not fair in my opinion.

Send a PM to the people who you bought from or sold to asking them to leave you feedback

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #53 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by thische /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Jude for your great work.

Thanks for the thanks, all, but it definitely wasn't all me--I just exchanged some e-mails with the guy.

Actually, zhix gave Justin Wilson (HeadAmp) the guy's name, as presented in his original transaction (through PayPal). (Justin had contacted zhix to ask him for more information when he saw that it involved a Pico--well, a pseudo-Pico as it turns out.) Justin then looked up the guy's name in Facebook. Then he combed through the guy's posts and saw that the guy mentioned that his dad worked at a particular company in a past post. The name was unique enough to stand out. As it turns out, so was his dad's--Justin found his dad's information at the company's website, including contact information. Then he forwarded all of that info to me.

I saw that the guy's IP addresses matched the locale of the school Justin found, and his dad's work.

I then contacted him to let him know he'd been identified, and exchanged some e-mails with him. Given the situation as it was turning out, he was convinced it would probably be in his best interest to refund the people due a refund.

Thanks to zhix for providing a name, and to Justin for looking deeper into the guy's identity from there. For those of you who haven't met Justin, here's a a photo of him.

I just wanted to let y'all know that it wasn't just me by any stretch.

Thanks, guys.

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #54 of 112
The above story were based on true headfi case files and the names are real not changed to protect the innocent.

The headfi case series is about the work of headfi members and his partner the internet. Headfi is tough talking and no-nonsense. He doesn't suffer fools or criminals. The internet plays the nice cop; he's a family man and churchgoer. They work well together and get results. All the crimes are solved within 30 minutes - couple of weeks; too easy for my taste.

DUM DE DUM DUM

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #56 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the thanks, all, but it definitely wasn't all me--I just exchanged some e-mails with the guy.

Actually, zhix gave Justin Wilson (HeadAmp) the guy's name, as presented in his original transaction (through PayPal). (Justin had contacted zhix to ask him for more information when he saw that it involved a Pico--well, a pseudo-Pico as it turns out.) Justin then looked up the guy's name in Facebook. Then he combed through the guy's posts and saw that the guy mentioned that his dad worked at a particular company in a past post. The name was unique enough to stand out. As it turns out, so was his dad's--Justin found his dad's information at the company's website, including contact information. Then he forwarded all of that info to me.

I saw that the guy's IP addresses matched the locale of the school Justin found, and his dad's work.

I then contacted him to let him know he'd been identified, and exchanged some e-mails with him. Given the situation as it was turning out, he was convinced it would probably be in his best interest to refund the people due a refund.

Thanks to zhix for providing a name, and to Justin for looking deeper into the guy's identity from there. For those of you who haven't met Justin, here's a a photo of him.

I just wanted to let y'all know that it wasn't just me by any stretch.

Thanks, guys.

WOW !!!!!!!! Remind me never to try to hide from head-fi
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #58 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I told him to give me more money since I lost 3% on the refund (because he sent it as a payment), but he said he couldn't because he was having paypal issues. He WILL refund you, or I will personally contact the authorities. Trust me, this guy is repentant, and scared to death. You will get your money.

Also, the paypal login thing was another low. I don't understand how this guy kept trying to lie (poorly) his way out of the situation.

Hi Aaron, Did he return you the remaining 3%? I lost 18 USD due to this issue as well, and he has not return my email since then.

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #59 of 112
zhix and arron313, you should not be deducted for a paypal fee if the person issues a refund properly. Here are the procedures from Paypal:

Here's how it works:

* Click the History subtab.
* Find the payment you would like to refund.
* Click Details to open theTransaction Details page.
* Click the Refund Payment link.
* Enter the refund amount and click Submit.
* Confirm the refund amount and click Submit.

All transaction fees should be reversed. It worked for me just last week.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #60 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]THIS IS ANOTHER DIRTY TRICK![/size]

He asked you to do this so he could tell Paypal that a third party (Jude) had logged into his account. Paypal may have then cancelled some of his debts or taken some other action to benefit him.

Please, no-one should ever login to an account that they don't own, even if it seems innocent and no scam is involved.

Yeah, that's the first thing that came on my mind too when I saw that.
Geez, this guy really is a scumbag.

Props to Jude & co. for scaring him into refunding though, pity the guy is still lying and trying to make excuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back