Latest HF fraud: I GOT SCAMMED! Everybody read, please.
Jun 9, 2008 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
FROM QUANG:

"Okay. Im very sorry. im just scared. very scared. I was the one who scammed. I will give all the money back. I dont know what I was thinking lying to you or any other people.

This is the truth.

I was intending to sell and ship the headphones. However, my uncle backed out. I just got greedy and lied to everyone that I would continue to ship them out. I transfered the funds to another account. This morning, I thought that it was wrong so I logged onto head-fi to give refunds. I found it banned. I went to the paypal account and verified it and gave refunds.

Im sorry for lying to you. Very sorry. Im seriously very scared and I dont want to get in trouble. i have learned my lesson. I was wondering if you could maybe keep this information to yourself? I know that you are probably very mad that I tried to scam you but please take into consideration that I am making a lot of stupid mistakes and I am trying to learn from them.

I have already sent out emails saying that there was a scammer involved and there wasn't. I will tell them that I scammed them but maybe when they calm down. I dont intend to hide this.

I want to thank you. for many things. For one thing, staying with me and helping me learn from this. secondly, I appreciate your understanding attitude. I understand that it must be hard dealing with me, but i beg you, from the bottom of my heart, to have mercy on me and find it in you to forgive me."

FINAL UPDATE (A.K.A. RESOLUTION):

So, everything is resolved, now. I was refunded the $450!!! Also, I have been in contact with Q, and he told me that all funds on paypal have been returned, so please, nobody take legal action.

Now, I'd like to share my story and the thoughts that were running through my mind for the last few days:

I was approached by user qspeedss, because I had put out a WTB for a Pico. I immediately took him up on the offer, because it was a good deal, and his feedback was good. After I purchased the item, communication was cut off. I became suspicious very quickly, so I sent some PMs, and started this thread. I was then chastised (rightfully, it initially seemed) by some established members. I sent some PMs explaining myself. Then, I decided to read every post by member qspeedss. I became suspicious of member AGC, and figured out immediately that he was qspeedss (or whoever hacked his account), because of the awkward correspondence between the two users in a thread on the Shure 530. I then did a search on all Picos sold, and found the picture that qspeedss had sent me, which was taken by someone else. I then contacted that member, and asked him if the Pico was sold to qspeedss, to which he replied "negative." I was then 100% sure I had been scammed. I opened a paypal dispute, which would likely have been an unfruitful effort had it not been rendered moot earlier today. I just got home from the bank (wanted to open a fraud claim) and checked my email. Q (name left out) had refunded me the money, and told me that his accounts had been hacked. This is a dreadful situation for all involved, but it looks as though it has been resolved.

Final note. I would not recommend starting a thread like this until you are VERY sure that you have been scammed. The correct course of action is to contact Jude (which I did, too) and paypal. I would like to say that I harbor no bad feelings toward anyone who criticized me for starting this thread, because in most instances I would have been wrong. This has not affected my opinion of Head-Fi, because it looks as though the fraud was not committed by a rogue member, but by a hacker [EDIT: NOPE, ROGUE MEMBER]. I should have trusted my instincts initially and not made the purchase, because I am usually right about these things, unfortunately. I hope we can all learn another lesson from this, and get along happily. Of course, this is aided by the fact that my money was returned!

Thanks, and happy posting.

And sorry about your wallets!

Previous posts:
UPDATE: It's all good, he did contact me, and if the product arrives as advertised he will get good feedback. I just want to clarify my logic in posting this. When a person becomes very active on the FS forums, as this person did, without posting pics, and then suddenly disappears, I get worried. When you sell multiple items for hundreds of dollars, you cannot simply cut off communication right after the money is sent. The only reason I posted this was because this seller had multiple items for sale, and I wanted to see if any of the other buyers had contact with the seller. Yes, I tend to be on the paranoid side, and I can't really help that. Sorry, but we are dealing with very large amounts of money here.

I sent payment to this HFer the other day for a Pico, and he has not responded to my PMs requesting confirmation. I know that he had activity yesterday at 4:45pm, so he must have seen my message. I know this guy had several items for sale over the weekend, so it is possible they sold. I am not accusing this member of scamming, but I just want to make sure everything is going as planned with regard to the deals made. Sometimes people get busy and don't respond quickly. But, you can never be too cautious. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent payment to this HFer the other day for a Pico, and he has not responded to my PMs requesting confirmation. I know that he had activity yesterday at 4:45pm, so he must have seen my message.

False assumption, not everybody has the PM popup alert turned on. And his activity may not have included looking at PMs nor checking his email, maybe head-fi is his homepage and he moved on to get something else done?

Quote:

I know this guy had several items for sale over the weekend, so it is possible they sold. I am not accusing this member of scamming,[...]

No, but you are insinuating it.

Quote:

[...] but I just want to make sure everything is going as planned with regard to the deals made. Sometimes people get busy and don't respond quickly.

Yet here you are, not long afterwards, raving about it. How long has it actually been? 24 hours? 48? Hardly as though you've gone weeks with no contact, and for all you know the item might already be in the post to you, but you just havent got the PM you want.

Quote:

But, you can never be too cautious. Thanks

You're not being cautious, you're being paranoid. I think that this thread is a great overreaction given the circumstances you've described.

Quote:

Don't want this to get buried.

A one-hour bump would suggest so.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 112
Quote:

I sent payment to this HFer the other day for a Pico, and he has not responded to my PMs requesting confirmation. I know that he had activity yesterday at 4:45pm, so he must have seen my message. I know this guy had several items for sale over the weekend, so it is possible they sold. I am not accusing this member of scamming, but I just want to make sure everything is going as planned with regard to the deals made. Sometimes people get busy and don't respond quickly. But, you can never be too cautious. Thanks.

You need to allow more time before starting a thread like this. And, yes, you can be too cautious...especially if it's at someone else's expense. Is this thread supposed to force the seller to respond to you? If I were the seller, this thread would have pissed me off and I would have promptly refunded your money. End of story.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to allow more time before starting a thread like this. And, yes, you can be too cautious...especially if it's at someone else's expense. Is this thread supposed to force the seller to respond to you? If I were the seller, this thread would have pissed me off and I would have promptly refunded your money. End of story.

x2, You should give the guy a bit longer to reply before you name and shame him. A couple of days is nothing, He could not post it over the weekend so perhaps he was waiting until it was in the post before replying.

The one bit of feedback he has from AGC sounds like its from a very satisfied customer.

Have a bit of patience.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, You should give the guy a bit longer to reply before you name and shame him. A couple of days is nothing, He could not post it over the weekend so perhaps he was waiting until it was in the post before replying.

The one bit of feedback he has from AGC sounds like its from a very satisfied customer.

Have a bit of patience.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-475-a-332347/

Guys I hope this a lesson to you all, don't buy from people that can't provide serials or pictures with there username on a piece of paper.

Zhix paid him for a pico aswell.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...33/index2.html

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 112
It appears that this person is indeed a scammer and aaron313 was justifiably suspicious. I hope everyone that has sent this scumbag money get's a refund or what they ordered. Posting feedback for yourself under a different login is a new low.

Is it just me or does it seem that there has been a lot of scammers on Head-Fi lately?

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 112
Yap. I have been around for a while and have not seen it like this before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears that this person is indeed a scammer and aaron313 was justifiably suspicious. I hope everyone that has sent this scumbag money get's a refund or what they ordered. Posting feedback for yourself under a different login is a new low.

Is it just me or does it seem that there has been a lot of scammers on Head-Fi lately?

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 112
Geez, what a jerk.
I'm surprised he spend so much time setting up 2 different accounts over several months and making 50+ posts on them so he can scam people with them while backing himself up through the different accounts.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 112
aaron313 I owe you a big apology. I stuck up for this guy when you publicly outed him. I hope you get your cash back and everything works out well for everyone who was scammed.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 112
Seems that the scammers have been branching out from eBay and Craigslist. People must be getting wise to them there. Sorry it happened to you, Aaron.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 112
Yikes, that's quite a few scammer stories in a short period of time. I'm really going to make sure whoever I buy from now on has a decent amount of Head-fi feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back