Late 60's Psychedelic Rock: recommendations?
Apr 5, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #16 of 91
No survey of 60s psychedelic rock music would be complete without the following albums/artists:

The Psychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators/The 13th Floor Elevators
Electric Music for Mind and Body/Country Joe and the Fish
Cheap Thrills/Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin
The Doors/The Doors
Surrealistic Pillow/Jefferson Airplane
Live Dead/The Grateful Dead
Moby Grape/Moby Grape
Quicksilver Messenger Service/Happy Trails
The Who/Magic Bus
Are You Experienced/The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Axis Bold as Love/The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Santana/Santana
Disraeli Gears/Cream
Wheels of Fire/Cream (added)
Rubber Soul/Beatles
Revolver/Beatles
Sgt. Pepper/Beatles
A Whiter Shade of Pale/Procol Harum
Sunshine Superman/Donovan

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
You can get a very good psychedelic era 4CD set by Rhino Records called " Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968" which focuses on top songs, probably best collection available:

Nuggets

This will give you ideas for groups to explore individual albums, Amazon has music sample for every song on that collection so check it out. Most groups here have own album available, however a few were basically one hit wonders and only found on collections like Nuggets.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

There are many other even more obscure 1960's garage/psychedelic collections that focus on smaller less well known bands, you wouldn't believe how much stuff is out there if you look for it. I was shocked how great some of this stuff is, this is real authentic hardcore stuff that will blow your doors off even today!. Problem is sound quality is often poor as sometimes CD has to copy track from surviving vinyl 45 record since no master exists, you will hear many record surface noise pops on these rare/obscure CD collections, an example I have is the "back to the grave" series.

Back From The Grave

B0000058UZ.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

DarkAngel, there is no doubt about it, you're THE man when it comes to music of any genre, any time! I've always enjoyed your posts in the music forum, but this is simply flabbergasting. Thank you, just what I needed. Nuggets will be my starting point and I'll take it from there.

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 91
B0000067X1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Don't rule out today's psychedlic rock. Bardo Pond, Acid Mothers Temple, Dungen, Dead Meadow...lots of great stuff coming out right now.

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 91
Not to be a One Note Sam or anything, but you really should check out the "Strictly Personal" and "Mirror Man", albums by Captain Beefheart. To me, they define psychedelica.

"Cheese in the corner with a mile long beard, navy blue, bread dog-eared."

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 91
Keep the recommendations coming, guys! I've ordered the "Nuggets" collection on Rhino as suggested by DarkAngel and others.

Here's my short list to add based on the above ideas:

Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Captian Beefheart - Strictly Personal and/or Mirror Man
Love - Forever Changes
Donovan - Sunshine Superman

It's also a good idea to revisit the Moody Blues. Thanks, Markl. I'm pretty familiar with most of their material, and while it definitely has psychedelic overtones, I find that they're a sound unto themselves (in much the same way as, say, Pink Floyd or Jethro Tull). Worth getting back into, but not exactly what I was looking for in this thread.

I've never been a big fan of Cream or The Byrds, although I do have some of their stuff. I think it's "Best of" types of things in both cases.

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmelt
No survey of 60s psychedelic rock music would be complete without the following albums/artists:

The Psychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators/The 13th Floor Elevators
Electric Music for Mind and Body/Country Joe and the Fish
Cheap Thrills/Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin
The Doors/The Doors
Surrealistic Pillow/Jefferson Airplane
Live Dead/The Grateful Dead
Moby Grape/Moby Grape
Quicksilver Messenger Service/Happy Trails
The Who/Magic Bus
Are You Experienced/The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Axis Bold as Love/The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Santana/Santana

Disraeli Gears/Cream
Rubber Soul/Beatles
Revolver/Beatles
Sgt. Pepper/Beatles

A Whiter Shade of Pale/Procol Harum
Sunshine Superman/Donovan

Thanks for this list! I've bolded the one's I already have, and put in red the one's I'm thinking about getting now. Among those that are not in bold or red, which ones do you recommend most strongly? I've heard of Moby Grape, but have not heard their music, and am curious enough to give it a try as well. Also, I remember that Country Joe and the Fish made an appearance in Woodstock, and showed up on several of the compilations (how can you forget a name like that?), but I don't really remember the music as such. Finally, a friend of mine has the Donovan "Storyteller" disc on SACD, and it sounds great, so I've been planning to pick up a copy. Is the "Sunshine Supreme" albulm a lot different?

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 91
Moby Grape was a San Francisco band that was created by Skip Spence, the original and versatile drummer for the Jefferson Airplane. Skip left the Airplane (the story is that he was fired for missing too many rehearsals), and formed Moby Grape where he was their lead guitar player. On a technical level, some say the members of Moby Grape were more proficient musicians than either the Jefferson Airplane or most of the other Bay area rock groups of the day. Their first LP, titled Moby Grape, sold well in their home town but was never a national success. This was in part due to inept marketing of Moby Grape by their record label. The label management thought it would be a good idea to release five different 45 singles from the album all at the same time. This was definitely not a good idea as the LP never reached its anywhere near the envisioned sales potential. After you have become familiar with some of the other San Francisco groups, (Airplane, Dead, Big Brother, Quicksilver, Country Joe) you should be sure to check out Moby Grape's 1st album.

Country Joe and the Fish were based in Berkeley, across the bay from the rest of the San Francisco groups. A highly political group of musicians, they appeared at many anti-war rallies in Berkley and other Bay-area gatherings. In June, 1967 Country Joe was one of the local bands that was invited to play at the Monterey International Pop Festival. Their performance of their song "Section 43", a hypnotic trancelike instrumental, was captured on film before an audience that like the band was floating amid a sea of recreational drugs including LSD and Marijuana. Country Joe and the Fish appear in D.A. Pennebaker's film Monterey Pop released in 1968.

This film, shot in 16mm and released in theaters in a non-wide screen format, captures the exact moment in time when rock music pushed aside it's pop music roots and took the stage as musical force to be heard as it was intended...loud, angry, and full of anguish instead of sappy love songs sung with sweet boy-girl harmonies. In the film you can actually see the look of amazement on Mama Cass Elliot's face as she witnessed Janis Joplin's landmark performance of "Ball and Chain".

Before Monterey, the reigning super groups of American popular music were acts like The Mamas and The Papas and The Association. After Monterey, it all changed. These previous top selling acts were yesterday's news even before the last amplifier was unplugged.

Many of the best performances from the Monterey Pop Festival appear in this film, including landmark performances by Country Joe, Big Brother with Janis Joplin, The Who, and the first U.S. appearance of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. The film also contains an extraordinary performance by Ravi Shankar, the world famous Indian sitar master. The performance by Ravi Shankar and a small group of Indian musicians captured and held the entire concert audience, perhaps 5,000 people, in a groove for what seems like hours. His daughter is Nora Jones, today a successful musician in her own right.

Woodstock, a much longer film than Monterey Pop, was also directed by Pennebaker. Shot in wide-screen format using multiple cameras, Woodstock captures many of the best musical performances from the original Woodstock Music and Arts Festival from 1969. The Woodstock film is definitely required viewing for any serious student of 60s rock music, but it all began back in Monterey, June 16, 17, 18, 1967.

Regarding Smile, Brian Wilson's long abandoned and never released effort that was to follow the Beach Boy's Pet Sounds album, Brian finally finished his vision in 2004. Working with lyricist Van Dyke Parks and a large ensemble of musicians (none of them current or former Beach Boys except for Brian), the Smile album was completed. It is available on both vinyl and CD.

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 91
Sunshine Superman was Scotsman Donovan Leitch's response to the psychedelic happenings across the pond in the USA in 1966, especially in California, that he experienced first hand while there. Some may disagree, but I go along with those that say that Sunshine Superman is his best album. The list of players on this album, both credited and uncredited, is pretty amazing and this album includes the sounds of Jimmy Page's guitar and vocals by Paul McCartney.

The album includes some songs that are closer to Donovan's roots as a folk singer and other songs that are true psychedelic classics including the title song, Season of the Witch, The Trip, and Fat Angel. Fat Angel was supposed to have been written for Mama Cass Elliot of the Mamas and the Papas, the reigning pop singing group in the USA at the time. The song contains the line, "Fly Jefferson Airplane, gets you there ontime." Contrary to what some may believe, Donovan's lyrics did not provide the name for this band. The Jefferson Airplane were already performing in clubs and venues around San Francisco by this time. In the song Fat Angel, he was acknowledging their importance as one of the pioneering psychedelic rock bands.

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #25 of 91
mkmelt, I really appreciate your most excellent posts in this thread, as I'm sure others do. It's nice when someone who is so well versed in music chips in to do some "teaching" to those us who missed it all on the first go around, and have never taken the time to study it as you obviously have.

I'll probably pick up Sunshine Supreme as well to round off this haul of new (old) music. Donovan has a bit of a folksy Dylan type of style, which I do like a lot.

I was quick to pick up Brian Wilson's "Smile" and would vote it albulm of the year for 2004, especially considering what he went through on an emotional level to finally get it done. I saw the documentary, and it was obvious that he had a lot of mixed emotions considering that "getting it right" was always the hang up in 60's. It seemed that he feared that this attempt to revisit the project might flop, but it most certainly did not.

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #26 of 91
please get pearls before swine Balaklava. this is an ignored classic. and a really great listen through headphones. Once you get that, get the other pearls before swine albums: one nation underground, and jewels were the stars boxset. also as already mentioned, love's forever changes is another classic. hell get the forever changes concert dvd while you're at it. you won't regret it. as for Donovan i would pick up A Gift from a Flower to a Garden. you might want to hold off purchasing sunshine superman, as remastered with bonus track is coming out soon
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...le=music&Bab=E

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #27 of 91
Unless it absolutely has to be from the late 60's you should check out Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, released in 71. The title cut is one of the most psychedelic tunes I have ever heard. Basically a Eddie Hazel guitar workout. Very cool tune, one of the best guitar solos of all time. The rest of the album is very good too. "Hit it and quit it" and "Super Stupid" are great rockers. "Can You Get to That" is a nice r&b tune. And what do you get when one train traveling 1000mph playing Pink Floyd's "On The Run" full blast goes HEAD ON with another train also going 1000mph with the crazy p-funk fools??? Why you get "Wars Of Armageddon"
icon10.gif
A very cool tune. Anyway try it out if you dig psychedelic stuff.

Apr 10, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by cortez
Unless it absolutely has to be from the late 60's you should check out Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, released in 71.

No, not at all, cortez, and thanks for the suggestion. I was just trying to couch it in terms that people could identify with, using '67 as the taget and '65-'70 as the range. But this was merely to keep the thread somewhat focused at first. There have been a ton of great suggestions so far, and I'm starting to build my collection in a much more informed manner as a result.

At this point, "The pool is open!" as they say here in Cayman on the dive boats out at sea. Any suggestions for '70's music of the same ilk, or more modern day psychedelic rock? Let it all fly, baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back