Last Mid ohio meet this year Fall meet here we come. (westerville again) (November 24th) impressions tread
Dec 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #46 of 82
Nice, I ordered some HE-400's on cyber monday, should be here in a few days. I signed up for an amazon card at the same time and got a crazy deal, like $250 total :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #50 of 82
I have to stay off Amazon this week.  They had AKG Q701s on lightning sale for 175.  I was sorely tempted to get my lime green jam on at that price...

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #52 of 82
  No limes for your head!!!!

No worries.  It just means I can put those 175 towards a DAC or maybe in the 'headphones that are a step up from the HD650' fund.  It's just sometimes hard to resist headphones and amps that are at a price within my grasp right now.  I've been eyeballing that Fiio E12 for a while as well...

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #53 of 82
Gonna be hard pressed to one up the 650s in their price range.  Save those pennies.

In my opinion, of course.  

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #54 of 82
  No worries.  It just means I can put those 175 towards a DAC or maybe in the 'headphones that are a step up from the HD650' fund.  It's just sometimes hard to resist headphones and amps that are at a price within my grasp right now.  I've been eyeballing that Fiio E12 for a while as well...

Hang onto your funds for a little bit. The Geek Out USB DAC/amps should be shipping out to Kickstarter backers in January. I'm hoping they ship out to Geek Pulse backers at that time too (I backed both during the Pulse campaign). So with any luck I may have a Geek Out for the next meet. Supposedly it pairs quite well with the HD650 from early Canjam impressions.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #56 of 82

And then?

They sound really great in my opinion. For the price I got them for there's no way I could have gotten anything that sounded better. That little Aune T1 drives the crap outta them too. The pads are the only thing about them that blows. They kinda ruin the sound sig and makes them recessed from about 2k-6k. I already put in an order for some of the velour replacement pads, as well as Mr Speakers Alpha pads.

Compared the the HD650 I'd say they're clearer, better/wider soundstage, bassier, and have faster transients. However, they don't sound quite as natural as the HD650's so I'll keep em both :)

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #57 of 82
  With a Valhalla he naturally needs to get a Bifrost.

Yeah, that's probably the next thing on the list.  Then we can finally do that Schiit DAC comparison we've been unable to do for 2-3 meets now.  That and those two would look nice in a uniform stack ala Magni and Modi.  In that case it will be many many months before I can even start looking at new cans.  Doubt I'd be looking at anything under 1k since they wouldn't be a noticeable enough upgrade from my HD650s, so it will be many months indeed...

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #60 of 82
  No meets in netherlands, sad

You could always set one up yourself.  Make a thread to gauge interest and see how many folks would be up for it and then work out a time and location where the most people can make it.  That's pretty much what lord_tris did.  Otherwise we wouldn't have meets around here either, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back