Last Mid ohio meet this year Fall meet here we come. (westerville again) (November 24th) impressions tread
Nov 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 82
My impressions

Freaking loved the HD800's Cory, although I think you already knew that from the look on my face when I put em on the first time! Now I just gotta figure out how much crap I need to sell to get a pair of those :)

Idunno if any of you guys listened to the HD800's through the Crack, but I had heard great things about that combo and in my opinion it sounded phenomenal. Kinda regretting not plugging them into the Phonitor since most people have been raving about that combo, but there's always next time. Like most people said I was slightly underwhelmed by the HD800's through the Sonnett. It definitely sounded good, but a little too bright/dry for my taste. I did get a chance to listen to the Phonitor with the 650's and it sounded really good. SO many knobs/dials to fiddle with I'd be messing with that thing constantly if I owned one.

Did not like the HD700's at all. They're amazingly comfortable, but the uppermids/highs just have this unnatural sound to them that didn't sit well with me. Plus, I probably should have listened to them before the 800's, maybe then I wouldn't have been so critical haha.

The Stax were pretty amazing, I was just as impressed by the build quality on those things as I was by the sound. I'm really glad I got a chance to hear an end-game headphone because as good as it sounded, I probably would never pay the extra $3K that they cost over the 800's. Like most people said, the 800's kept up with the stax really well, maybe even better on the soundstage.

The Darth Beyers were definitely a fun can. A huge improvement over the stock 770's for sure. It's been a while since I've owned the 770's and heard that skull-shaking bass that they put out :)

I think the biggest thing I took away from the meet was the realization that everyone listens to music way louder than me haha. But seriously, I had a blast and it was cool to start meeting people from around the area. Can't wait for the next meet!

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 82

I think the biggest thing I took away from the meet was the realization that everyone listens to music way louder than me haha. 

You and me both. I usually turned the dial down at least 2 hours. Then again, I've known for a long time that I have more sensitive hearing than many of those around me.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 82

You and me both. I usually turned the dial down at least 2 hours. Then again, I've known for a long time that I have more sensitive hearing than many of those around me.

I usually don't have it past more then 10-11 o'clock but people around and talking kinda meant you have to turn it up louder then you normally would, Plus meets are for more social interaction then critical listening and judging of headphones. Its about getting to know a friend or person. Then just headphones for me. :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 82
  Freaking loved the HD800's Cory, although I think you already knew that from the look on my face when I put em on the first time! 

Yeah, it was like 
biggrin.gif

HD 650s are $444 on Amazon and they have em 15% off of that for some reason.  Prime Trial and one day shipped for $4 for a brand new pair for a total of $381.  Be here Monday.  Thinking I'll make a cable with the dual 3 pin XLRs so I can have the 600 and 650 into the Mjolnir at the same time.  

ph34r.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #23 of 82
Not as annoying as the bass of the Darth Beyers.  
ph34r.gif

And turn it down, it's too damn loud!

I can see I'm getting older...

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #25 of 82
I've got the mixed messages thing down pat.

I'm a loud listener.  Party volume.  I think I'm a loud listener cause my work hovers around 91 db constantly.  After Funyunbro was done I had to turn the dial up about twice as far.  Might have been so I didn't have to hear you guys blabbing on about Stax.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #26 of 82
The Darths are not that bad. Just not that great either, Thats why they are my fun headphone they are just a good headphone.
I have put NIN - Year One and in the process of listening to Beastie Boys - licensed to ill through the HD700's. I really liked Year One the sound was really good bass was good and the detail that Trent puts in his tracks is always just amazing. But I am on Shes Crafty on Beastie Boys and kinda wishing I had the Darths the bass would be soo much fun. Dont get me wrong the HD700 sounds good though.

Best combo ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back