Laser Mouse!
Sep 1, 2004 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
My next mouse is going to have laser precision.
biggrin.gif

4778.jpg

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043

I'm in dire need of a new gaming mouse. This one looks to be the one. I hope.
Hoping this is better than Razor's Optical mouse.

-Ed

Sep 1, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 66
That actually looks pretty nice.. I've owned many of the top mice, and have settled on a MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. My experiences with Logitech were that they had inferior optical sensors (which, in comparison to MS's they did) and my hand fit better on the MS mice. However this seems like a totally new design. It looks comfortable too, but I'll go put my hand on it at Best Buy to see if I like it, and if so order it online for half of whatever they're charging
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Sep 1, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 66
Oh no, damn you Edwood
biggrin.gif
. I currently have two MX-700's and I was satisfied with them until I read this thread. Actually I still am, however this type seems to be far superior. Thus I would wait for some reviews....

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 66
wow, that looks like a great mouse Edwood. you'll review it right after it comes out right?
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 66
Oh man! That looks like what I need. I don't do games, but my MS optical isn't precise enough for some things. Maybe this would be more sensitive to very small movements.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 66
I've always been rather partial to trackballs myself, especially for gaming. You don't have to pick up your mouse to keep moving the cursor/turning. Trackballs take up less space to use, could care less about a mousepad, don't move around on you when you click a button, and won't wake up your system every time you set you soda can on the desk.
icon10.gif
Just that darned learning curve that most people don't even want to try out (kind of like getting PC users to try Macs.
icon10.gif
) Now if only someone would make a wireless blue-tooth optical trackball.
frown.gif
Been using this thing for over three years but trackballs never get no lovin'. Ah well, it has all the features you'll find on the 1000 except for the side-scrollwheel and the new page button. Stay away from those thumb-balls though. I'd probably have carpal tunnel for just my thumb by now if I used one of those.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
That actually looks pretty nice.. I've owned many of the top mice, and have settled on a MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. My experiences with Logitech were that they had inferior optical sensors (which, in comparison to MS's they did) and my hand fit better on the MS mice. However this seems like a totally new design. It looks comfortable too, but I'll go put my hand on it at Best Buy to see if I like it, and if so order it online for half of whatever they're charging
wink.gif

-dd3mon

I have to disagree... I've always felt the Logitech mice were superior in both technology and ergonomics to Microsoft's, especially the MX range. Between me and my roommate, we've got 5 of them (MX300, MX500, MX510, 2 MX700s).

As for the MX1000, it's been on NewEgg for a few days, and I've been tempted as hell to order one. The internal rechargable Li-Ion batteries are a major draw for me...

~KS

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 66
How does a "laser mouse" see? It would still need an optical detector of some sort. Last I checked lasers could not see. Maybe they are using a higher quality detector/sensor? AFAIK, all optical mice have "lasers" to illuminate the surface that is being "seen"

EDIT: oh, most optical mice use LEDs...

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
I have to disagree... I've always felt the Logitech mice were superior in both technology and ergonomics to Microsoft's, especially the MX range. Between me and my roommate, we've got 5 of them (MX300, MX500, MX510, 2 MX700s).

As for the MX1000, it's been on NewEgg for a few days, and I've been tempted as hell to order one. The internal rechargable Li-Ion batteries are a major draw for me...

~KS

Well let me know what you think of it compared to the 510. I used to have a Logitech Ifeel and was really getting peeved at it in games because the precision of the mouse was less than the size of a target in some games so when I went to the 510 I was thinking the world of it.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 66
The slogan they use Quote:

The World's First Laser Mouse. Optical Is Obsolete.

is misleading... The MX1000 still uses an optical sensor...
Quote:

Each second, Agilent’s optical sensor inside Logitech’s mouse

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gastro54
How does a "laser mouse" see? It would still need an optical detector of some sort. Last I checked lasers could not see. Maybe they are using a higher quality detector/sensor? AFAIK, all optical mice have "lasers" to illuminate the surface that is being "seen"

Conventional optical mice use a bright LED for illumination of the surface to be read by a tiny digital camera.

Not sure about it, but there has to be some sort of receiving sensor, be it a tiny digital camera, or something to read what the laser is bouncing off of.

5337902701277657.JPG

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back