Laptop headphone jack unusable...what do? Seriously need help :(
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pompower

New Head-Fier
New guy here.

Just want to start off by saying this is a great forum that I have lurked many times in the past in order to get audio gear insight. Keep up the good work
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, basically the very tip of the plug on my Shure SRH840's broke off in my Macbook's headphone jack. My friends have tried literally everything (superglue trick, trying to release the plug, taking laptop apart) to get it out but it'll be impossible without completely dismantling the laptop which is something I don't particularly trust myself or anybody else with. The annoying thing is that because the plug is stuck in there, it's completely disabled the speakers and any kind of controls in system preferences too, which is incredibly frustrating, and a serious flaw in MacOS.

So, because I don't particularly want to shell out a ridiculous amount of money for a new Logic Board, I talked to my audiophile friend, and he suggested I buy a DAC. The FiiO E7 specifically. Now to me, this looks like an excellent cost effective way of solving this problem, which I might add is extremely detrimental to my interests.

However, he has had no experience with this product, or my situation. I don't question his judgement, but I am wary as money is tight.

So essentially, my question to you is: Will this fix my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 7
In a word, yes.

You can use an external DAC such as the E17, and then set Foobar (your music player) to output specifically to the E17.

You can also change Windows settings so that it outputs directly to the DAC as well.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Would that work in MacOS though?

I know in Windows its relatively to enable and disable sound devices but I tried looking for ways to do it on Mac and no luck.

Would the E7 still be a solution to this?

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 7
I am not too familiar with Apple computers, but I found this on their website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8552.html

To hear sounds from your computer played through an external device:

step_1.gif

Make sure the device is properly connected to your computer.

step_2.gif

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sound.

step_3.gif

Click Output, and then select the device you want to hear sound through.

■ To listen through your computer’s built-in speakers, select “Internal speakers.”

■ To listen to external speakers or headphones that are connected to the headphone jack, select Headphones.

■ To listen through external USB speakers, select your speakers in the list.

Thus, if you were to purchase (say) an E7, then you would be able to select it from the list, and listen to audio using headphones through the device.

However, I am not 100% sure about this. Perhaps someone that has an Apple computer and an E7 can verify this.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I am not too familiar with Apple computers, but I found this on their website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8552.html

To hear sounds from your computer played through an external device:

step_1.gif

Make sure the device is properly connected to your computer.

step_2.gif

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sound.

step_3.gif

Click Output, and then select the device you want to hear sound through.

■ To listen through your computer’s built-in speakers, select “Internal speakers.”

■ To listen to external speakers or headphones that are connected to the headphone jack, select Headphones.

■ To listen through external USB speakers, select your speakers in the list.

Thus, if you were to purchase (say) an E7, then you would be able to select it from the list, and listen to audio using headphones through the device.

However, I am not 100% sure about this. Perhaps someone that has an Apple computer and an E7 can verify this.

The problem with this is that I've already tried it, and the only thing that is in the device menu is Digital Out. There is no other option for me to choose from. I assume that this is down to the fact that the plug is still plugged into the jack. I've tried using SoundSource and looking in the MIDI set up, but there is no other option aside form Digital Out.

In a perfect scenario, I'd find someone with a DAC, try it and see if it works, but sadly that's not an option for me as I don't know anyone with a DAC. So I might just have to take the punt.

Has anyone had this kind of experience and solved it by using a DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back