Laptop bags
Apr 19, 2005 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
How do you carry your laptops around?

I've tried asking the people over at notebookreview.com but they are really unresponsive to these kinda questions.

I have just purchased a IBM ThinkPad T42 14.1" (yet to arrive, still shipping) and have been looking at the following options (I can't afford anything too $$$):

1) JanSport Firewire + Sumdex ImpactGuard Laptop Sleeve

2) Or simply something cheaper. The same sleeve from above but with a light North Face backpack that has very minimal padding:

North Face Modem

I know option 2 sounds cheap but I have heard from people that it should be good enough. Any comments for my choices please?

Apr 19, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 21
If you're going to spend money to buy a laptop then spend the money to protect it. Take it from someone who knows... I had my new laptop for about six months when during a car trip something must have fell on it, or it fell off the seat or something along those lines and the screen was cracked!!!
eek.gif
Yes, I take responsiblity for it too and I blame myself for not spending more money to keep it safe... Anyway long story short: $800 laptop, six months, cracked screen, $300 for repairs, grrrr... I still haven't fixed it yet, I figure i'll just buy a new one in a few months (Yay! excuse to upgrade!).
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Afterwards I upgraded my backpack to this: http://www.ebags.com/targus/matrix_n...?modelid=18763
A little pricy but worth it.
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 21
How is the padding for the laptop department for this bag?

Is there padding on the bottom?

Apr 19, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 21
I all you're worried about is carrying it, then anything with a handle will do. However, if I was going to spend money on a case, I'd get something that offers some protection. A good case might seem like a needless expense now, but the first time you drop your laptop you'll be glad you bought it.

Apr 19, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Ahh protecting laptops and headphones...there can be only one
biggrin.gif

The Zero Case is virtually indestructable:
P3SI_448x368.jpg

Agreed, those Halliburton Zero cases are downright sweet and nearly indistructable. I have one for the past 8 years and still going strong. The prices for them is another story though.

Apr 19, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
How is the padding for the laptop department for this bag?

Is there padding on the bottom?

The padding is not as thick as I thought it would be, but it's enough for regular traveling (to and from class or on a road trip). There is padding on the bottom that helps even if you drop it lightly.

Personally I like having a backpack, but I know there are a lot of briefcase style carrying bacgs that are good too. Oh, I think some people mentioned the Crumpler bags as being good too, though I've never tried them. They look cool too.
icon10.gif

The Zero case looks nice and very sturdy... but the price...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 21
I carried a T41 on the road for a year. What I used was either a backpack with a laptop sleeve built in, a travelpro megabag when I was going on short business trips where I didn't need to carry a suitcase in addition, or a regular leather briefcase with a body glove sleeve. They all work, don't stress too much the "protection" aspect, just make sure you have some level of protection, be it sleeve or built in pocket for it, and just go. The ibm can handle it, it's a road warrior machine.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Crumpler is good. Weird website certainly, but an ever weirder catalog... and certainly the first with an R-rated product index. However it came in very useful as the young lady in question is almost my height.

I have armoured, carbon and standard Halliburton cases, and they're very heavy. I do not like carrying them around.

Apr 20, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Agreed, those Halliburton Zero cases are downright sweet and nearly indistructable. I have one for the past 8 years and still going strong.

So how many dents do you have in yours? I have five, and every one of them was painful
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
Doesn't this scream "steal me"?

Actually, people that have zero cases usually only have files and a diary in them. The intelligent thief typically knows this, going for the bag that says "Targus" or "Dell" on it. These cases are so thin that an ultra thin laptop is all you can fit if you choose to bring files, etc.

Also, the lock on these is very sturdy and really resists most break-ins (you actually have a better shot at removing the hinge); If you can't get the case open, it's less likely it will get stolen.

When I go away for awhile, I actually lock mine up in the hotel room with a cable lock.

Oh and when it is really raining and you're stuck outside, your laptop will never get water damage with one of these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back