LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #706 of 1,002
May I ask where you live ?
Indeed.
Im working on trying to purchase my own TRP. Any tube rolling advice/links you can provide would be quite helpful. I have a few rectifiers,but not sure which will work in the TRP.
Sittard made GZ34, GZ32, GEC 18/20 ,which is a 4volt equivelant to the U52 used with an adapter. Working on grabbing a WE 422a for my Glenn. Are any of those viable/good in the TRP?
don't buy the 422a it's not so good the 274b is the one.
The gz34 is good buy this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shugua...ace-5AR4-274B-WE274B-5Y3GT-5U4G-/264012833045

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-JAN-5R...0-Military-JAN-5R4GA-Tested-100-/183774850338

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #708 of 1,002
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #709 of 1,002
The TRP has landed ! :)

0801191504_HDR.jpg
0801191504a_HDR.jpg
0801191506_HDR.jpg
0801191507_HDR.jpg
0801191508_HDR.jpg
0801191513_HDR.jpg
0801191513a_HDR.jpg

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #710 of 1,002
I’m looking at the Atlantic TRP closely as a possible replacement for a Directstream dac that I’ve been using to drive active ATC SCM19A floorstanders (balanced) and JL Audio e-110 subs (unbalanced). Perhaps it’s just coincidence, but it seems like all the photos of user Atlantics and GAs I see, whether on the used market or like the one just posted - nothing personal - are SE models. It’s made me wonder if it’s just the premium on adding a balanced output or if there’s anything to know about the Atlantic’s balanced implementation, since these days it seems XLR is typically better and considered more desirable in good components.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #711 of 1,002
I’m looking at the Atlantic TRP closely as a possible replacement for a Directstream dac that I’ve been using to drive active ATC SCM19A floorstanders (balanced) and JL Audio e-110 subs (unbalanced). Perhaps it’s just coincidence, but it seems like all the photos of user Atlantics and GAs I see, whether on the used market or like the one just posted - nothing personal - are SE models. It’s made me wonder if it’s just the premium on adding a balanced output or if there’s anything to know about the Atlantic’s balanced implementation, since these days it seems XLR is typically better and considered more desirable in good components.
I cant speak for anyone else,but Im too far down the SE road to switch. From my Glenn OTL to high end cables,my whole system is SE,so no reason for me to go balanced.
That being said,the TRP is stupid good.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #712 of 1,002
A fully bal setup has some advantages if the needed interconnects are beyond 6 feet
My system is bal but not any dacs. A bal Lampi has the same advantages as other dacs
in fact a Lampi dac is real fully bal not a quasi one. My preamp has a bal input that converts for me. I also own a silver wire se to bal iso transformer as well. A bal dac that uses more tubes is not bad but it does cost more in buying tubes.
And most owners do try tube rolling
I for one feel there is little to no sonic advantages of a bal system over all if the interconnects are short
In fact it's only more recent it's pushed by some makers

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #713 of 1,002
On the system mentioned, the balanced ATC IC runs are 1.5m, but I haven’t tried with RCAs. I’ll have to check, because I do have some adapters. On my desktop system with Quad 12L actives that have both, at 1m and 1.5m I could tell a difference, although it was very close. Typically, the voltage output on the balanced line is about twice the unbalanced side. I would think that offers more headroom, depending on the speakers (the ATC’s input sensitivity is 1V, don’t know about the sub, though their output is adjustable and and not cranked).

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #714 of 1,002
Yes it's louder by 6 dB do to voltage swing
This also lowers the noise floor of all components used if good.
If you hear any changes at this distance after vol matching it's wire related only
Keep in mind a few things
One louder is always better so vol matching is a must
All and I mean all interconnects effect the sound
And this varies on devices used.
Each has reactive cap and ind and res while res is the least effect
The input imp and output imp effect each other with the cable used. So In short try till it sounds good.
I don't use exp cables but do use cables made to specs of the type
Mogami gold mic are best for me they are mid centric a bit but not much
Some reduce low or mid and as we effect the bal we perceive the change
If we lower Mids it makes the highs more and bass more and so on
In my setup I need about 40 feet per channel in all so it's all fully real bal after dac
My tape deck is bal as well.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #715 of 1,002
Bump

Since the last post on this thread was a year ago, just wanted to see what everyone's tube choices for their Lampi DACs. I just ordered the Golden Atlantic TRP 2 and will be getting into the tube rolling game. What is the 'money no object' tubes choices for the GA?

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #716 of 1,002
Sep 26, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #717 of 1,002
Loving my Pacific and rolling away.

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #718 of 1,002
Sep 26, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #719 of 1,002
Bump

Since the last post on this thread was a year ago, just wanted to see what everyone's tube choices for their Lampi DACs. I just ordered the Golden Atlantic TRP 2 and will be getting into the tube rolling game. What is the 'money no object' tubes choices for the GA?
I've had mine a week and have only tried the earlier GEC KT66 so far. Sounds very impressive. Imaging, soundstage, detail, bass, clearness and timber stand out so far. I have a few other tubes to try as well. I guess "money no object" tubes for this DAC would be the earliest Telefunken EL34 metal base.

IMG_5015 - Copy.jpg
IMG_5016.jpg
IMG_5017.jpg

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #720 of 1,002
Good buy! As suggested, head over to the TRP thread at What’s Best forums and read through, especially the last several pages. The Tesla EL 51 is now considered in another league vs. the rest — I previously used a pair of NOS GEC KT66. As for rectis, the Shuguang GZ480 has gone to the top of the list, but unfortunately won’t be available again until next year, probably due to covid. As one who detests what's called “neutral,” as probably best exhibited by the KR5U4G RK Anniversary Edition and to a lesser extent by the GEC U52, my favorite recti so far is the USAF 596. I have a Fivre 5R4GY on the way, which is supposed to be awfully good too. Both the Tesla and 596 require adapters, available on eBay from China. Another great source of info on rectifiers is here on head-fi, Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! The main review is on pg 1 and I thought it was updated last fall, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. But lots of others have contributed useful info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back