LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Sep 26, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #721 of 1,046
The Tesla EL 51 is now considered in another league vs. the rest — I previously used a pair of NOS GEC KT66.
@Gopher was going to lend me his pair of Tesla el51s this weekend but hes away for the weekend so it will have to wait.
The guys in the thread also said the Tesla's are a bit bass shy,or thats the impression I got. Im trying to find a relatively inexpensive rectifier with +bass to match them up with the Teslas.

Im currently on my 3rd rectifier tube since taking possession of my TRP,but I listen all day and night, seven days a week.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #722 of 1,046
@highstream Thanks for the guidance. I just got done reading through nearly 60 pages on the whatsbestforum. It does seem like the consensus for the winner is the Tesla EL51 with Shuguang GZ480. What should specific adapter do I search for on eBay for the EL51 and USAF 596 to make it compatible with the GA TRP?

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #723 of 1,046
@Gopher was going to lend me his pair of Tesla el51s this weekend but hes away for the weekend so it will have to wait.
The guys in the thread also said the Tesla's are a bit bass shy,or thats the impression I got. Im trying to find a relatively inexpensive rectifier with +bass to match them up with the Teslas.

Im currently on my 3rd rectifier tube since taking possession of my TRP,but I listen all day and night, seven days a week.

Let me know if you find a better rectifier pairing with the EL51. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of wanting to make up the bass.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #724 of 1,046

I also have the Tesla's incoming. Happens all the time on tube rolling threads where along comes a "previously undiscovered tube" that's beats all the other previously highly regarded tubes from the last 80 years. But hey, what's one more pair of tubes... and I've certainly been wrong before.

I believe in this DAC, the two tubes are acting as a buffer, which is why we can have a fixed bias and still use so many different tubes. But, this also implies we shouldn't be hearing too many differences with the various tubes - as long as the tubes are still in good shape. But, hey - I've got lot's of these different types of tubes to roll - so I at least want to give them all a try - and like I said previously, my own ears have proved my presumptions wrong in the past.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #725 of 1,046
I got the EL51 to EL34 adatpter from these folks: http://www.ak985.com/19-adapter-socket. Not on the site at the moment but I think they can get it or make it for you (were slow to respond to emails some months back because of covid). Do a search on eBay for "596 to 5U4G adapter." There are a few. I'd stay away from Woo Audio's prices unless money is genuinely small change to you or you are desperate to get one right away. The tube price is not outlandish, but the bundled adapter price is high and I'm not convinced their adapter is noticeably any better than the cheap ones.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #726 of 1,046
I also have the Tesla's incoming. Happens all the time on tube rolling threads where along comes a "previously undiscovered tube" that's beats all the other previously highly regarded tubes from the last 80 years. But hey, what's one more pair of tubes... and I've certainly been wrong before.

I believe in this DAC, the two tubes are acting as a buffer, which is why we can have a fixed bias and still use so many different tubes. But, this also implies we shouldn't be hearing too many differences with the various tubes - as long as the tubes are still in good shape. But, hey - I've got lot's of these different types of tubes to roll - so I at least want to give them all a try - and like I said previously, my own ears have proved my presumptions wrong in the past.

Can't speak to the technical side, but yes, the Tesla, if it works in your system, is at another level than the rest, just as Golum's friend found.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #727 of 1,046
There's also quite a few tubes not mentioned on the What's Best forum as well I think? As soon as I get EL38 and EL39 to EL34 adapters I'll be trying those tubes as well. Already have the tubes... just need the adapters. Will also try EL3N, EL11 and EL12 as I already have those tubes and adapters.

There's a bunch of other tubes that should work as well if you have the correct EL34/KT66/6L6 adapters:
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_odk...2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=el34+adapter&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_odk...p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=6l6+adapter&_sacat=0

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #728 of 1,046
I have both the woo adapters and ones from highly rated stores on eBay. Honestly, the woo adapters looks like they are on another level. No idea about sound difference. But woo ones look like they are from solid block of teflon and to my eyes, way slicker looking

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #729 of 1,046
BTW, I just love with the LAMPI being able to tailor the sound. Tube rolling can be addictive! Same basic awesome foundation on the sound with the key traits of it being musical and more "alive", but adjusting the tubes to help deficiencies in what phones or system I am using makes it so versatile.

Sep 28, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #730 of 1,046
Looks like my Lampi GA TRP 2 is shipping with a quad of JJ 6CA7s and an EML mesh 247B rectifier.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #731 of 1,046
OMG!!! Ive died and gone to midrange, imaging and 3D heaven!

@Gopher dropped off his pair of Tesla EL51s for me to try earlier. The dudes over in the tube rolling thread arent lying! These are insanely great!

0930202010.jpg

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #732 of 1,046
@Monsterzero I'm tired of hearing everyone else' enjoyment of the EL51s while the rest of us have to suffer (lol jk). I just ordered a set and the guy who makes the adapters said he would make some more. Can't wait to get on the EL51 train!

What rectifier is that?

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #733 of 1,046
I just ordered a set and the guy who makes the adapters said he would make some more. Can't wait to get on the EL51 train!

Do you have a link for the adapters? These are Fred's.
What rectifier is that?

Just a Brimar. It sounds good. My wife said the house was shaking from my little bookshelfs and a small sub. The mids really stand out. There is a bit less body in that region vs. The Gold Lion KT77s,but the separation, imaging and depth is on another level.

I have a few more rectifiers I can roll in, which I will do tomorrow.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #734 of 1,046
Do you have a link for the adapters? These are Fred's.

Just a Brimar. It sounds good. My wife said the house was shaking from my little bookshelfs and a small sub. The mids really stand out. There is a bit less body in that region vs. The Gold Lion KT77s,but the separation, imaging and depth is on another level.

I have a few more rectifiers I can roll in, which I will do tomorrow.

Send an email to market@ak985.com and request the adapter. He doesn't have them listed on his website anymore. Make sure to ask for long enough anode wires.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #735 of 1,046
Xulingmrs on eBay has the adapters if you ask. I also ordered EL3N to KT66, EL39 to EL34 and EL38 to EL34. Already have EL12/EL11 to EL34. But so far I’ve only rolled a bunch of different GEC KT66, Mullard EL37 and Mullard EL35.

Beware the gain differences of all these tubes. It can be deceptive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back