LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Nov 24, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #305 of 1,054
Does anyone have Bendix 5R4WGB (potato masher) datasheet?
I have a Tungsol 5R4WGB datasheet only, but as far as I know the Bendix has 5V / 3A heater instead of the normal  5V / 2A heater. Maybe other differencies also exist.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #306 of 1,054
  Does anyone have Bendix 5R4WGB (potato masher) datasheet?
I have a Tungsol 5R4WGB datasheet only, but as far as I know the Bendix has 5V / 3A heater instead of the normal  5V / 2A heater. Maybe other differencies also exist.

They are all the same. Certron, Chatam, Raytheon, TungSol, Bendix.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=409883

http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WTC&Product_Code=5R4WGBU&Category_Code=15-U

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #310 of 1,054
Owning a B7 alone is just so much fun. Rolling the tubes is a wonderful journey . It's like hearing your music all over again as the tubes roll. It allows me to use various headphones and or speakers and tune the sound to exactly as I want it. Cheap too as interconnects are very expensive and very little change happens for me. Each roll,it's obviois as to what transpires . Now this headac it's going to be this all over again and I have a fair collection of tubes to roll.
I hear it's actually two devices in one box for best sound possible in integration. And as its two we can use the amp alone or dac alone. Also it's imp matching for headphone output. Honestly it has everything I could think of. It should be like a crowd sourced crowd pleaser type device. A top end combo for sure. I pit the B7 against many dacs I own or borough it's just a winner in sound and add to it the flexibility of tube rolling it's amazing.
Can't wait to hear one.
Al

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #312 of 1,054
Hi all,

Just had a chance to listen to the L7.  I can say the piano is nothing I have heard before, the notes are so real and musical.  The guitar sounded fantastic as well!  

My budget area is actually the L4, or the L5 with zero add-ons.  I don't think I can audition either models.  Any thoughts of the differences between the three?  I personally find the L7 slightly polite on the low end or not as much dynamic impact than I'm used to - probably because of the polite tube amp used for demo.  Are the L4/5 quite different?

Cheers,
Ray

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #313 of 1,054
Hello I have a few models for testing . I now own B7 and tube rolling is dream . As for politeness I for one would call it that. Having a few dacs it's just more musical.
If I do compare it to other dacs they do appear harder . But honestly it's just better. And being able to roll tubes in what ever model one would pick just makes the type of sound you wish esy to find. . The lesser models all have the house sound . I wish I coild say more but my grammar is just to confusing to explain .

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #314 of 1,054
  Hi all,

Just had a chance to listen to the L7.  I can say the piano is nothing I have heard before, the notes are so real and musical.  The guitar sounded fantastic as well!

My budget area is actually the L4, or the L5 with zero add-ons.  I don't think I can audition either models.  Any thoughts of the differences between the three?  I personally find the L7 slightly polite on the low end or not as much dynamic impact than I'm used to - probably because of the polite tube amp used for demo.  Are the L4/5 quite different?

Cheers,
Ray

The L5 may suit you more, BUT the L7 is so easy to roll tubes with (as they sit on top and the L7 takes a WICE array of DHT tube types, eg. for Rectis GZ34/37, 5U4G,5AR, 5r4,5Y3, 422A,274b, u52, etc, for OUTPUT tubes, you can use 101ds, 45 triodes, 2A3, 6A3, 300b 5v, 300b 2.5v, VT52, etc). These different combinations can have a big impact on the presentation, so that is a lot of power right there.

The Big5 uses more like Preamp signal tubes and will be harder to roll. Normally with 6x5 rectis and using signal tubes like ECC182, ECC82, Ecc81, E88CC, 6sn7, etc. I have only heard a B5 once, but I have read that its can be a tad more dynamic than the B7 with stock tubes, but with a GZ34 and 6A3 the L7 lacks nothing, and I am sure the person who made that comment never heard this combo!

I personally like the Big7 with my SS amplification, as my SS amp is a bass champ to start with.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #315 of 1,054
I've never used tubes before and this is the first tube gear I may get into. That's quite a big list of tubes you listed! Sounds like fun trying them out.

I'll have the L7 for a home demo in 2 days with my own speakers and SS amp. I can't wait for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back