LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #271 of 1,051
  I see. For now, I look forward Lukasz response, which diode he suggest.

If you have a 6x5gt recti, you will have to roll based on that. Best brands by consensus are RCA/Sylvania and metal base Tungsols.

Big bottle rectis are not electrically compatible and most would not fit in your Dac enclosure anyway.

Big bottles are normally of the 5y3, 274b, 5R4, 5u4g, GZ3* variety. Some are small though...

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #272 of 1,051
There may be a little mis-communication there and we will certainly support your DAC, Kai.  But the tags are there for a reason--if people want to contact us with respect to exceptions we are pretty liberal, but there has to be some communication before folks go grabbing their soldering irons. :)

Thanks for the clarification Sir:D. I am really satisfied with the customer service you and Rob provided. And after upgrade, my DAC sounds so incredibly. One of the most noticeable improvement is the sound stage. It is so much wider and taller than before. I also tried with Psvane WE 101d, holy ****ttttt they are so good, I think it gives my B7 even more space. But I still do not have enough time to give more details at the moment.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #274 of 1,051
Yea, i am looking for those, should i go for Tung-sol 6A3?

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #275 of 1,051
Sylvania Green leafs or Tungsol. Sylvania made RCA, Hytron, GE etc too.

Its a great tube for the Big7.

SFox7076 at audiocircle may be able to help you out there with his surplus. Send him a PM

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #276 of 1,051
I have those tubes great staging. Find a pair of 6A3. Used nos
Just get stuff that is tested high. Sylvania or its rebranded.
If you need tubes post here from ebay and I and others will give you input. The 101 d Are really nice but the 6A3 is my faverite and a worthwhile invesent. They are about 100 or less a pair and do not bother with matched pair for now.
Good Luck post results enjoy the DAC
Al

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #277 of 1,051
  Sylvania Green leafs or Tungsol. Sylvania made RCA, Hytron, GE etc too.

Its a great tube for the Big7.

SFox7076 at audiocircle may be able to help you out there with his surplus. Send him a PM

I have those tubes great staging. Find a pair of 6A3. Used nos
Just get stuff that is tested high. Sylvania or its rebranded.
If you need tubes post here from ebay and I and others will give you input. The 101 d Are really nice but the 6A3 is my faverite and a worthwhile invesent. They are about 100 or less a pair and do not bother with matched pair for now.
Good Luck post results enjoy the DAC
Al

Thank you guys for the great help here. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #278 of 1,051
  If you have a 6x5gt recti, you will have to roll based on that. Best brands by consensus are RCA/Sylvania and metal base Tungsols.

Big bottle rectis are not electrically compatible and most would not fit in your Dac enclosure anyway.

Big bottles are normally of the 5y3, 274b, 5R4, 5u4g, GZ3* variety. Some are small though...

Thanks to this forum and the google search engine I slowly familiarize myself with the tubes of this DAC.
But the stickters are still forbid me to  actually roll them :frowning2:.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #279 of 1,051
Abra,

Contact Gopher and ask for specific permission. See his post above. he is liberal with such stuff IF approved prior to rolling.

Lots of tube rolling info at the Lampi Big6 thread at Audiogon forum and some in the Lampi section of the Audiocircle forum too!

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #280 of 1,051
  So my Amber  tube configuration is:
1. ECC81/12AT7 and ECC180/6BQ7A (Ecc88/6DJ8 equiv).
2. ECC82/12AU7
3. 6x5 GT
Am I right?

I have experience in ECC82/12AU7 only. I have the following wariants:
National labeled, made in USA ECC82, came with the Jadis JA30 monoblocks.
Amperex ECC82, white label, black plate, 2 mica, came with the 10B tuner
RCA 5963, black plate 2 mica 
5814WA Sylvania 3 mica, black plate
I found the RCA 5963 is best for my taste. Classical dynamic big american sound. I use it both in the Marantz 10B and in the Jadis JA30 monoblocks. And I also have a few in spare for the Amber.

I know nothing of the ECC81/12AT7 tubes. Any suggestion?

According to the 6x5, I have no direct experience. But I have very good experience with other Bendix tubes. Namely in the 6900 and 6080 with graphic anode. I see Crashem hesitates between a Tungsol 6x5 and a Bendix variant, and he currently prefers Tungsol. I compared Bendix 6900 and Tungsol 5687. Similar differencies. But I preferred the (early produced version) Bendix. So the Bendix diode seems to be a good starting point for me. Maybe it requires bigger toroid.

If I recall the Bendix to use would be 5852, but it has higher current rating than 6x5, so you would need specific permission from Lukasz to use it. Audiogon forum had lots of talk about this by Glory about a year ago.

For the ECCs, my tube guru pals all reccommend western Europe tubes like Pope, Phillips (not Miniwatt), Amperex (old ones), Old Teslas and Tungsram and Brimar/Mullards (all in preamp experience). They say Siemens and Telefunken are very clean but lifeless. Mazda/NEC are also higly acclaimed in these varieties as are the hard to find French brans. Polam have mixed reviews. US brands are given average ratings, but Lukasz likes them in Dacs. The overall ones to avoid are chinese and new Soviets. Old Soviets are average to good.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #281 of 1,051
  Abra,

Contact Gopher and ask for specific permission. See his post above. he is liberal with such stuff IF approved prior to rolling.

Lots of tube rolling info at the Lampi Big6 thread at Audiogon forum and some in the Lampi section of the Audiocircle forum too!

I live in Europe. Lukasz asked, but not answered yet.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #282 of 1,051

Thanks for the clarification Sir:D. I am really satisfied with the customer service you and Rob provided. And after upgrade, my DAC sounds so incredibly. One of the most noticeable improvement is the sound stage. It is so much wider and taller than before. I also tried with Psvane WE 101d, holy ****ttttt they are so good, I think it gives my B7 even more space. But I still do not have enough time to give more details at the moment.

What an interesting coincidence. One small complaint I just had the little sound stage in relation to the Amber. Perhaps a better diode that will help a bit? I know, they are different performer, but why not?

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #283 of 1,051

Are these the ceramic base or the metal Base Psvane 101D tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back