LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #259 of 1,046
I was lucky enough to find a "used" Amber DAC for sale 150 km near to my home. I'm not the guy who buy hifi without personal listening. 
The "used" means it was almost one month old. It's a very new product even here in Europe.
I had listened it with my Stax HP (it has an own headamp), with my Mac Mini, and with my cables instead of the unknown system of the seller. With both PCM and DSD source files, as well as with the BBC 3 radio station online.
I was try it as a standalone DAC, and also with the Lampizator Silk AC filter. After a two hour of listening period, I had bought both of the two devices.

This is my first USB DAC, my other sources are analog devices. A Kuzma Stogi turntable with Van Den Hul Colibri pickup, and a Marantz 10B tuner.
I have checked more than a dozen of USB DACs in different price range from the few hundred up to the few thousend Euros. I have to say most of them has nothing to do with music. They have technical virtues like resolution, more bits, or simply just hype.

My Amber has a remote volume control, and DSD, but otherwise it's a base device. With possibly Soviet miltary tubes, paper in oil caps, electrolytes. I don't know, because the box is sealed with security labels. Technically this is my only serious problem. I can't do tube rolls without remowing the labels! All the tubes are inside the black box. 
Anyhow, it's a big surprise for me, how can an "entry level" device - without any butique parts - sound so good. I'm not an engineer, but I think it must be the scheming only. The Soviet tubes are not Bendix or Tungsol. The Soviet military PIO caps are not Spragues. Not to speak of audiofil caps like Audio Note or Jensen copper/silver foil capacitors.

Sound impressions:
Please take into consideration, I'm listening classical music with acoustic instruments, and natural, not originally amplified human voice, unlike on an electric concert. And I use it with the Silk filter, which adds it's plus to the result. I think the DAC is not yet fully burned in, the sound still changes.
Not a tipical warm tube sound with coloration and rounded ends. It is rather natural, with open highs and lows. And this kind of neutrality can be also inspiring, not only the sweeet tube sound.
Good midrange, good timbre, excellent rithm.The bass is  good with a chello or double bass, but not so good with a timpano. Unlike in the high and mid frequency range, the hidden changes in the bass frequency range results to a rather soft performance with slow decay. The soundstage is small.
For me these are minor problems compared to the high degree of musicality.
It is planned to try some upgrading possibilities offered on the Lampi site. I think there is more possibility in this excellently designed circuit. American NOS tubes, Duelunds, MKP-s may worth to try.

According to the test report, my DAC has two audio tubes, 81(180) and 82. The diode type is ax5. Does anybody know what the 81(180) exactly mean? I think the 82 means ECC82. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #262 of 1,046
So my Amber  tube configuration is:
1. ECC81/12AT7 and ECC180/6BQ7A (Ecc88/6DJ8 equiv).
2. ECC82/12AU7
3. 6x5 GT
Am I right?

I have experience in ECC82/12AU7 only. I have the following wariants:
National labeled, made in USA ECC82, came with the Jadis JA30 monoblocks.
Amperex ECC82, white label, black plate, 2 mica, came with the 10B tuner
RCA 5963, black plate 2 mica 
5814WA Sylvania 3 mica, black plate
I found the RCA 5963 is best for my taste. Classical dynamic big american sound. I use it both in the Marantz 10B and in the Jadis JA30 monoblocks. And I also have a few in spare for the Amber.

I know nothing of the ECC81/12AT7 tubes. Any suggestion?

According to the 6x5, I have no direct experience. But I have very good experience with other Bendix tubes. Namely in the 6900 and 6080 with graphic anode. I see Crashem hesitates between a Tungsol 6x5 and a Bendix variant, and he currently prefers Tungsol. I compared Bendix 6900 and Tungsol 5687. Similar differencies. But I preferred the (early produced version) Bendix. So the Bendix diode seems to be a good starting point for me. Maybe it requires bigger toroid.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #263 of 1,046
I was lucky enough to find a "used" Amber DAC for sale 150 km near to my home. I'm not the guy who buy hifi without personal listening. 

The "used" means it was almost one month old. It's a very new product even here in Europe.

I had listened it with my Stax HP (it has an own headamp), with my Mac Mini, and with my cables instead of the unknown system of the seller. With both PCM and DSD source files, as well as with the BBC 3 radio station online.

I was try it as a standalone DAC, and also with the Lampizator Silk AC filter. After a two hour of listening period, I had bought both of the two devices.

This is my first USB DAC, my other sources are analog devices. A Kuzma Stogi turntable with Van Den Hul Colibri pickup, and a Marantz 10B tuner.

I have checked more than a dozen of USB DACs in different price range from the few hundred up to the few thousend Euros. I have to say most of them has nothing to do with music. They have technical virtues like resolution, more bits, or simply just hype.

My Amber has a remote volume control, and DSD, but otherwise it's a base device. With possibly Soviet miltary tubes, paper in oil caps, electrolytes. I don't know, because the box is sealed with security labels. Technically this is my only serious problem. I can't do tube rolls without remowing the labels! All the tubes are inside the black box. 

Anyhow, it's a big surprise for me, how can an "entry level" device - without any butique parts - sound so good. I'm not an engineer, but I think it must be the scheming only. The Soviet tubes are not Bendix or Tungsol. The Soviet military PIO caps are not Spragues. Not to speak of audiofil caps like Audio Note or Jensen copper/silver foil capacitors.

Sound impressions:

Please take into consideration, I'm listening classical music with acoustic instruments, and natural, not originally amplified human voice, unlike on an electric concert. And I use it with the Silk filter, which adds it's plus to the result. I think the DAC is not yet fully burned in, the sound still changes.

Not a tipical warm tube sound with coloration and rounded ends. It is rather natural, with open highs and lows. And this kind of neutrality can be also inspiring, not only the sweeet tube sound.

Good midrange, good timbre, excellent rithm.The bass is  good with a chello or double bass, but not so good with a timpano. Unlike in the high and mid frequency range, the hidden changes in the bass frequency range results to a rather soft performance with slow decay. The soundstage is small.

It is planned to try some upgrading possibilities offered on the Lampi site. I think there is more possibility in this excellently designed circuit. American NOS tubes, Duelunds, MKP-s may worth to try.

According to the test report, my DAC has two audio tubes, 81(180) and 82. The diode type is ax5. Does anybody know what the 81(180) exactly mean? I think the 82 means ECC82. 

Just wondering... you said small soundstage, what DAC is this compared to? Thanks.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #264 of 1,046
Sorry, I have no "previous" DAC to compare it directly. This is my first USB DAC. I have analog inputs to compare, turntable and tuner.

But you gave me an idea. I will compare the difference between a local radio station using an FM tuner and the same station streamed from the internet.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #265 of 1,046

Sound impressions:

I think you can remove the sticker, because I accidentally broke the sticker of mine, and I asked NA distributor if this avoids warranty, they told me it is fine as long as you have the warrenty certificate, that sticker is for the first 15 days trial period I guess. Because I just had my B7 back to poland to upgrade to the latest big bottle rectifier. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #266 of 1,046
  I think you can remove the sticker, because I accidentally broke the sticker of mine, and I asked NA distributor if this avoids warranty, they told me it is fine as long as you have the warrenty certificate, that sticker is for the first 15 days trial period I guess. Because I just had my B7 back to poland to upgrade to the latest big bottle rectifier. 

Thanks. I'm just connecting Lukas asking of the upgrade possibilities. I will ask stickers too. And what is actually "the latest big bottle rectifier" ?

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #267 of 1,046
That's is for my Big 7, big seven used to use 6x5 rectifier, recently Lukasz upgrade them to use 274b type rectifier(the so-called big bottle). I think some level 6 DAC also starts using 274b type rectifier

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #270 of 1,046

There may be a little mis-communication there and we will certainly support your DAC, Kai.  But the tags are there for a reason--if people want to contact us with respect to exceptions we are pretty liberal, but there has to be some communication before folks go grabbing their soldering irons. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back