LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
May 6, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #618 of 1,046
ALRAINBOW
Today at 5:42 am
http://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/7808-suggestion-for-a-good-45-tube-please/

Here is a discussion of 45 tubes . I Do not know of anyone who has them though .
The lampi thread on audio circle is large and many tube rollers post there with lampi,s . I own and two audio friends who all own lampis do not have any nos 45 either . But we all have all of the eml 45.
Bottle head 45 solid and mesh and new mesh globe , I also own the globe anniversary so,I'd and one friend does too. The bottle head mesh is a good tube all around . About 75 percent of the globe mesh . There are many nos tubes to roll on your lampi but 45 is not one any of us has done . The good nos 45 Cost as much as the eml does and are used and not a proven tube fir the lampi. Not all tubes weather nos or new sound good on a lampi . This us also something you must consider. I have about twenty tubes that are nos and do not sound good on it. The fact that I do not know anyone who tried them dioes make me wonder though .
I own a few high end dacs. One being a msb stack About 45 k , and as for sound the 45 mesh sounds better in both dsd and PCM and this is for both of the mesh 45 tubes . That is just how good my lampi is with the new eml tubes. While views do vary as taste matters most there is no doubt how good some tubes sound overall. There is also some threads on whatsthebestforums. As well. What ever you do post results for all. Good luck and don't feel your persistence makes you wrong to try a nos . But one thing I have learned is some people just fixate on one tube or just nos or new only. The true result for happiness is your choice and no one else's it why I say I do not know more than anayine else I just have spent the time and money for my Own views.
Al D

May 21, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #619 of 1,046
Might be a dumb question, but how can a Lampi DAC On PCM with a single non oversampling chip handle more than 96k sample rates without going over-sampling route?

May 22, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #620 of 1,046
  Might be a dumb question, but how can a Lampi DAC On PCM with a single non oversampling chip handle more than 96k sample rates without going over-sampling route?

I don’t know what dac chip they use in the GG. The PCM 1704 for example can play higher sample rates while not oversampling than oversampling. The 1704 chip can do 8X oversampling at 96 kHz which mean that it can do 768 KHz if not oversampling, and “only” 96 KHz if oversampling 8 times.

Metrum Pavane is good example. It’s a DAC that use 1704 R2R chips and is non oversampling and it can do 384 kHz. Probably even more if the input stage could handle it. 

Correction: regarding the dac chip in Pavane.

May 22, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #621 of 1,046

I don’t know what dac chip they use in the GG. The PCM 1704 for example can play higher sample rates while not oversampling than oversampling. The 1704 chip can do 8X oversampling at 96 kHz which mean that it can do 768 KHz if not oversampling, and “only” 96 KHz if oversampling 8 times.

Metrum Pavane is good example. It’s a DAC that use 1704 chips and is non oversampling and it can do 384 kHz. Probably even more if the input stage could handle it. 

I think the Pavane uses 'industrial' chips of hidden types, and not the PCM 1704. Metrum call it the Transient Chip.

I think it is a bit foggy what Luktz does with his chips. I am not sure all of his DACs are actually non oversampling. 

May 22, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #622 of 1,046
  I think the Pavane uses 'industrial' chips of hidden types, and not the PCM 1704. Metrum call it the Transient Chip.

Lol I meant the Aqua la scala. Probably the same principal with the Pavane thou.

May 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #623 of 1,046

Newest implementation of PCM on GG is r2r board so probably not applicable.

May 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #624 of 1,046
I am sending you a pm now , it's from a thread I did a post on in another forum .

May 23, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #625 of 1,046
Newest implementation of PCM on GG is r2r board so probably not applicable.

Yes, but the GG I was looking at was an early version. Is there any details on the new R2R board? Pics and specs, how many resistors used? Is it like TotalDAC?

I am surprised Lampizator has got a new board out so quick as it takes an age to get it right and is very costly to make.

May 23, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #627 of 1,046
Picture here

Ok makes sense now. I know his board. The Soekris board is quite cheap to buy for DIY at around 240 USD. I haven't heard it, but it seems ok. The negatives I read where the weak output stage but I would think Lukatz has not used that section. I would very much doubt if that board will sound as good as the TotalDAC board.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #628 of 1,046
Hello,
I was wondering what Lampizator would be using as R2R discrete DAC.
If indeed it is the Soekris then it depends on the specific modules they are using.
The OEM Version has much better specs than the DIY versions. The picture here is one DIY version.
They charge 1.000,- € for the upgrade to the R2R. That´s barely ok I guess.
I´ve got a balanced 4 with preamp and I ´m thinking of upgrading the DAC modules.
Cheers
Kai

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #629 of 1,046
Hello,
I was wondering what Lampizator would be using as R2R discrete DAC.
If indeed it is the Soekris then it depends on the specific modules they are using.
The OEM Version has much better specs than the DIY versions. The picture here is one DIY version.
They charge 1.000,- € for the upgrade to the R2R. That´s barely ok I guess.
I´ve got a balanced 4 with preamp and I ´m thinking of upgrading the DAC modules.
Cheers
Kai

Why don't you ask Lukasz directly, he will answer any questions you have.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #630 of 1,046
  Ok makes sense now. I know his board. The Soekris board is quite cheap to buy for DIY at around 240 USD. I haven't heard it, but it seems ok. The negatives I read where the weak output stage but I would think Lukatz has not used that section. I would very much doubt if that board will sound as good as the TotalDAC board.

It will sound better than the Totaldac 12, because of the analog output. The digital is only a part of it. Power supply and analog stage are where the magic is. Always has been. Therefore you could go back to the handbuilt B7s, and they will sound better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back