Lampizator 5B + KGBH + SR-009
Apr 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 37
Sub'd.

I'm in the same boat as Bones13; my BHSE should be landing in the not too distant future.  I will be rocking the 009's and the Eximus DP1.  I am really interesting in the Lampi and I hope that someone gets a chance to compare it to the MSB Analog DAC.

BTW, that Lampi looks incredible and it would also serve as a lovely coffee table.
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #17 of 37
  Sub'd.

I'm in the same boat as Bones13; my BHSE should be landing in the not too distant future.  I will be rocking the 009's and the Eximus DP1.  I am really interesting in the Lampi and I hope that someone gets a chance to compare it to the MSB Analog DAC.

BTW, that Lampi looks incredible and it would also serve as a lovely coffee table.
wink_face.gif

Not exactly the precise comparison you were looking for, but the reviewer of the Lampi DSD-only DAC (in Stereomojo) believes the Lampi displaces the previous "best of the best" (which, in his opinion, was the Playback Designs MPS-5). Other DACs he has tested?  MSB Diamond, dCS Scarlatti, and Mytek.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 37
Not exactly the precise comparison you were looking for, but the reviewer of the Lampi DSD-only DAC (in Stereomojo) believes the Lampi displaces the previous "best of the best" (which, in his opinion, was the Playback Designs MPS-5). Other DACs he has tested?  MSB Diamond, dCS Scarlatti, and Mytek.
yeah i had read that. This DAC is really interesting as it seems to place more importance on creating a musical presentation than chasing after the echelon of detail. This is why I think a head to head comparison between the Lampi and the Analog DAC would be quite revealing as both DACs are designed with this same sonic goal in mind.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 37
yeah i had read that. This DAC is really interesting as it seems to place more importance on creating a musical presentation than chasing after the echelon of detail. This is why I think a head to head comparison between the Lampi and the Analog DAC would be quite revealing as both DACs are designed with this same sonic goal in mind.

On that same general point you raise, one does get the definite impression that the philosophy of the founder of Lampizator, Lukasz Fikus, is to place relatively less emphasis on quantitative measures of performance and substantially more emphasis on how the equipment sounds (not that I'm suggesting this approach is completely unique to Lampizator):

http://www.lampizator.eu/NEWDAC/Lampizator/Welcome_to_LampizatOr.html

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #20 of 37
On that same general point you raise, one does get the definite impression that the philosophy of the founder of Lampizator, [COLOR=515151]Lukasz Fikus, is to place relatively less emphasis on quantitative measures of performance and substantially more emphasis on how the equipment sounds (not that I'm suggesting this approach is completely [/COLOR][COLOR=515151]unique to Lampizator):[/COLOR]

http://www.lampizator.eu/NEWDAC/Lampizator/Welcome_to_LampizatOr.html

I agree with you. He tends to favor non digital solutions when he can. But I would point out he is very technical. He got his reputation tearing apart other high end devices and calling BS, when appropriate, and then suggesting fix it's for it. He then modded other devices sort of like modshop. So I would guess he carefully selects every part in his devices down to which resistors etc. multiple tests on what difference one resistor makes over another. it's seems pretty unlike other higher end dac manufacturers who tend to rely on "big" things to hang their hat on. It is much more like the good hand made amp manufacturers who are have the same obsession with all parts

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 37
Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... But, damn, I'm listening to Jimmy Webb's "Ten Easy Pieces" and the piano (an instrument I've played for 50 (!) years, just sounds so amazingly accurate.  I know it's the combination of all my new components, but I have to give significant credit to the Lampi, for its exceptional ability to make a piano sound precisely like it should, without edginess, without glare, without even an ounce of harshness.  I have never heard a piano sound so perfect in my life.  Listening to the intro to "Wichita Lineman" is all the proof anyone could possibly need.....

Again, thanks for you kind advice, and apologies for my inability to fashion a proper review.  But I'm back to listening, and loving every minute of it.

Congratulations to your set up.
When you have the reference of the real instrument and you are really happy with the reproduced sound of your system, there is nothing more you can ask for
smily_headphones1.gif

Last night I finally installed Audivarna Plus, and I was nearly struck dumb by what I was hearing.  For the first time, I don't see any area that needs improvement, or upgrading.  The noise floor is astonishingly low, detail retrieval ridiculous (not surprising with the 009s, but I'm convinced the Lampi plays an important role as well).

I have heard a Lampi DAC (not sure which one) at the NY Spring meet but just very briefly and there had been contact issues with the HE-6 cable (one channel occasionally dropping out) but there was no sign of any obvious "digital negatives". Having browsed his website (Lukasz Fikus) it is pretty apparent that he knows what he is doing and his concepts are pretty convincing. His higher end stuff is a little of my league and I settled for a e20 DAC (see my Avatar) and I am perfectly happy with the much smaller box
biggrin.gif
. Hearing the e20 for the first time, I had a very similar reaction like you and I do believe that a source and great DAC are the most important parts in any set up. Otherwise you are in a never ending cycle trying to patch up up-stream shortcomings with cables, mods, tube rolling and whatever accessories.

Get more music and enjoy listening ! 

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #22 of 37
I have a level 4 Lampizator and it I was not expecting it sound as different from other sources as it does.  It really is a very analog and musical sounding DAC.  The level 5 must be really spectacular.  When I was shopping for a DAC so many companies talked about which chip they used and sample rates and a bunch of other stuff that made it all too complicated.  So many DAC's have so many options and menus - I want a setting called "best sound possible".  I have no idea what kind of chip is in my DAC and I love that.  The only options are on and off.  The philosophy of just enjoy the music and forget the gear really shines through in so many ways with Fikus' designs.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 37
  Congratulations to your set up.
When you have the reference of the real instrument and you are really happy with the reproduced sound of your system, there is nothing more you can ask for
smily_headphones1.gif

I have heard a Lampi DAC (not sure which one) at the NY Spring meet but just very briefly and there had been contact issues with the HE-6 cable (one channel occasionally dropping out) but there was no sign of any obvious "digital negatives". Having browsed his website (Lukasz Fikus) it is pretty apparent that he knows what he is doing and his concepts are pretty convincing. His higher end stuff is a little of my league and I settled for a e20 DAC (see my Avatar) and I am perfectly happy with the much smaller box
biggrin.gif
. Hearing the e20 for the first time, I had a very similar reaction like you and I do believe that a source and great DAC are the most important parts in any set up. Otherwise you are in a never ending cycle trying to patch up up-stream shortcomings with cables, mods, tube rolling and whatever accessories.

Get more music and enjoy listening ! 

I wouldn't exactly refer to the Exasound e20 as settling!  My goodness, from what I've read, it's an amazing DAC in its own right (and, before discovering the Lampi, it was going to have been my choice).

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 37
I agree with you. He tends to favor non digital solutions when he can. But I would point out he is very technical. He got his reputation tearing apart other high end devices and calling BS, when appropriate, and then suggesting fix it's for it. He then modded other devices sort of like modshop. So I would guess he carefully selects every part in his devices down to which resistors etc. multiple tests on what difference one resistor makes over another. it's seems pretty unlike other higher end dac manufacturers who tend to rely on "big" things to hang their hat on. It is much more like the good hand made amp manufacturers who are have the same obsession with all parts

Good points all, Crashem.  You're right, everything I've read about Lampizator's owner suggests that he has prodigious technical knowledge.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 37
We need to make a lampizator thread. I would do it, but I don't have mine yet :frowning2: and have only done audition listening. But I'll do it if one of you don't do it by tomorrow.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #27 of 37
Congrats on getting your rig together!

Really sweet setup, the lampizator is definitely end-of-the-road material, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it!

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #28 of 37
  I have a level 4 Lampizator and it I was not expecting it sound as different from other sources as it does.  It really is a very analog and musical sounding DAC.  The level 5 must be really spectacular.  When I was shopping for a DAC so many companies talked about which chip they used and sample rates and a bunch of other stuff that made it all too complicated.  So many DAC's have so many options and menus - I want a setting called "best sound possible".  I have no idea what kind of chip is in my DAC and I love that.  The only options are on and off.  The philosophy of just enjoy the music and forget the gear really shines through in so many ways with Fikus' designs.

Hi Paulie,

as always it matters what you do with it , the D/A chip that is. This is just a tool and how you use it makes all the difference. If you have a small delicate job to do maybe a smaller hammer is better than the big 5lb mallet. The analogue output stage and the regulation of power in the different stages of the DAC obviously have a pretty strong influence of the sound.

Just the spec. numbers don't make an audiophile product. So far I listen mostly to CD (i.e. Redbook , "lowly" 16 bit 44.1khz) and for sure it matters MUCH more how the recording engineer captured the session than to how many GHz the A/D converter in the remastering up sampled the 20 year old recording. I am currently listening to some Sara Vaughn stuff recorded in '61 and these "historic" recordings are so live, is is just astounding.

I wouldn't exactly refer to the Exasound e20 as settling!  My goodness, from what I've read, it's an amazing DAC in its own right (and, before discovering the Lampi, it was going to have been my choice).

"Settling" on a pretty high level :wink:).

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #29 of 37
Congrats on able to snatch the Headamp original Blue Hawaii.  It even comes with HE90 jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back