Lack of Digital Inputs on One-Box CDP's
Jan 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Sony won't let us use or computers for SACD and I cannot find "MY" player that I need, I have decided to build one! It will be a hardwood encased SACD transport with I2S connection to an Opus DAC/controller with I2S and S/PDIF inputs with volume control for an Aikido output stage/headamp! ESI Julia(I2S connected) and Oppo DVD player are the two other sources. It seems that the only way I can get what I want is to build it! Also, being a carpenter and lacquer finisher I will have control over the build quality and design of the chassis. This is going to take months, but I am going to document it for all to see!

Sounds interesting. I will definitely follow your progress.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......Since Sony won't let us use or computers for SACD and I cannot find "MY" player that I need, I have decided to build one! It will be a hardwood encased SACD transport with I2S connection to an Opus DAC/controller with I2S and S/PDIF inputs with volume control for an Aikido output stage/headamp! ESI Julia(I2S connected) and Oppo DVD player are the two other sources. It seems that the only way I can get what I want is to build it! Also, being a carpenter and lacquer finisher I will have control over the build quality and design of the chassis. This is going to take months, but I am going to document it for all to see!

Please correct me if I'm wrong......

1. I was under the impression that I2S was strictly a transfer protocol for PCM data, not DSD data as would be required for SACD playback. Is that incorrect?

2. Are you not going to have to dissect a commercially available SACD player to get the transport and the necessary circuitry to decode the SACD data from its protected format?

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 24
The Denon DCM-27 has digital outputs too. Not sure if it's a quality unit to add to the list.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon DCM-27 has digital outputs too. Not sure if it's a quality unit to add to the list.
biggrin.gif

As do most decent digital players these days.......the thread is about why the better players don't have digital inputs.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the stereophile article they state that the designer of the Quad player estimated the digital inputs added about $90 to the price of the player, if done right, $40 otherwise. A lot cheaper when you design it that way from the beginning.

That could very well be but the APL is pretty far from a regular CD player. They have to write their own control code and you get a second remote.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As do most decent digital players these days.......the thread is about why the better players don't have digital inputs.

Oops, sorry about that!

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That could very well be but the APL is pretty far from a regular CD player. They have to write their own control code and you get a second remote.
biggrin.gif

The second remote is very important for those who own sofas of course. allows for convenient track skipping while plumbing the far depths of the cushions for the first remote.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The second remote is very important for those who own sofas of course. allows for convenient track skipping while plumbing the far depths of the cushions for the first remote.
wink.gif

True...
biggrin.gif
While you can change tracks with the second remote it is mostly for choosing the inputs (there is also the option of a ADC input and a squeezebox built in on the more expensive models) and changing the volume. The evils of stepped attenuators have finally been banished!!!

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please correct me if I'm wrong......

1. I was under the impression that I2S was strictly a transfer protocol for PCM data, not DSD data as would be required for SACD playback. Is that incorrect?
2. Are you not going to have to dissect a commercially available SACD player to get the transport and the necessary circuitry to decode the SACD data from its protected format?

1. Whatever the case may be, if I take everything from the DAC forward out of an SACD player I just have to hook up some leads to the same inputs on the Opus. Whether or not this will work on the Opus remains to be seen. The new boards will be ready next month so we will see then. If not, I will just output the player's DAC output direct to the amp, eliminating the output stage.

2. Yes, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back