Laagy headfi server..
Nov 2, 2006 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

*645-k701

500+ Head-Fier
who runs this server? could they get a better domain or summat.
It lags so bad this time of the day. even with my 8mb bb conny, it still takes 30 secs to loads pages ,(without images)..

the states* daytime at a guess..

has it always been like this, or just loads of newbies like myself , slowing it down?..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701

You got any money?

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

It lags so bad this time of the day. even with my 8mb bb conny, it still takes 30 secs to loads pages ,(without images)..

has it always been like this, or just loads of newbies like myself , slowing it down?..
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, how old are you? Ask your parent to teach you some manner or kick your arse
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

i'm in korea and i wait a couple seconds at most for a page load with images.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 35
How about contributing instead of whining if it's such an issue to you ?

I know I'm not a contributor but I'm happy with what I get considering it is FREE.

edit: Plus It doesn't even happen that often to me atleat. I'm all the way over here in Australia with 512 and everything is as fast as should be expected. Occasional lag but as I said, FREE.

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, I never actually met a Finn who talked like this!
blink.gif

If you'd like to donate some server-side upgrades, then we won't say no.

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzula
How dare you ask a reasonable question and then get lectured on your manners for asking it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
It has been pretty slow on my end as well. I also think there is no need to get nasty for asking a valid question.

It wasn't what he asked, but how he asked it. Many have inquired about speed issues before, but never as rude.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 35
Judging by the "Helsinki" in his profile I'm going to guess English isn't his/her best language. Sometimes it's difficult to convey a more pleasant tone with text, especially when you're communicating with a secondary language. Don't be so testy people!

Being in Finland is going to have a negative effect on latency since the head-fi server resides somewhere in the USA. I suggest you move to USA to fix the slow page loads.
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer
Judging by the "Helsinki" in his profile I'm going to guess English isn't his/her best language. Sometimes it's difficult to convey a more pleasant tone with text, especially when you're communicating with a secondary language. Don't be so testy people!

Being in Finland is going to have a negative effect on latency since the head-fi server resides somewhere in the USA. I suggest you move to USA to fix the slow page loads.
tongue.gif

Except that it's hardly Helsinki-English. So, no, I pretty well think what was meant was what was said.
wink.gif

Although, some providers use better connections outside of Finland than others. I remember when Saunalahti used to suxor bigtime, as did Welho back when it was HTV still. But Welho fixed it and Saunalahti more or less went under, then reinvented themselves. I think Sonera and Elisa are using the same backbones, but I could be wrong.

Another thing that could affect speed, other than the obvious "it's teh internets" answer, is that if you have an 8mb connection, and that is shared through the apartment building, you're only getting a part of that. Some apartment buildings have those connections although ours lets you choose your own.

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer
tongue.gif

It's not that much with a good dsl connection, actually. E.g., ping to head-fi is ~ 185 ms for me at the moment (using T-Com/T-Online 16/1 Mbps), while it's 17 ms to my own domain at a big hosting site in south-western Germany. That's ~ factor 11, sure - but still only some 0,2 seconds on the whole. Maybe it's another 50 to 100 ms extra to Finland, but that's still dimensions apart from the sporadically (in the last months unfortunately rather generally) experienced lagginess. One shouldn't complain about the latter, though: Head-Fi has grown big, but essentially is still a hobby operation with very limited budget compared to professional online magazines, for example. And even those are often enough rather slow - despite having a much bigger server park, several full-time admins/operators et cetera... Jude & Co. really seem to do what they can within their means, and that's already more than one can expect, especially considering that it's for free...

Anyway, the op's inquiry can surely be read as rude, but it could also just be rather naive/inexperienced. In any case, it radiates a certain kind of annoying impatient curiousity - e.g. if only by overlooking Jude's sticky on ongoing site maintainance... Then again, his confession about being a noob himself and the possibility of the site being flooded by noobs as well as a smiley already convey a kind of apology for the possibly dumb questions. Hence, bashing rather seems undeserved here...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: *645-k701: Checking the sticky thread on top of each (sub)forum page usually is a good idea before asking questions. Same goes for the search function - especially for more specific questions. Plus you can also do a couple of things to improve speed on your side by optimizing your browser settings, using adblockers et cetera - e.g. in my case, it's often enough not head-fi itself, but rather one of the numerous external links that slows things down: For example, google-ads sometimes apparently has difficulties to deliver, too... And I've also set the forum options for me to not automatically load images.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back