L3000 Teaser: Pics + Short Impressions
Jun 26, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
About $1310 after fees and triple shipping (ugh). $1154 was the auction's winning price.

That's still a great deal, they're a steal at that price!

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I think it's important to understand that the high-end AT cans are an experience with many facets. It isn't just the sound that's important, it's the whole sensory experience. When the W2002's really hit their peak it's as much about the feel of the pads on your ears as the sound and the sensory impressions all meld together. I haven't really had another set of headphones I felt this way about. It's the whole experience from observing their beauty, to their feel, to the way they feel on your head, to their sound all sort of wrapped up in a sensory experience that I find rather unique and wonderful.

gpalmer, I totally agree, the whole sensory experience and presentation is very important to me, though I feel that even just on sonics alone the L3000 is probably in a class above my other cans. The look/feel/smell adds on top of that!

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

About $1310 after fees and triple shipping (ugh). $1154 was the auction's winning price.

Hoolllyyy C*(* That's some investment, but congratulations.

I will add this to your K1000 and K340 comments. The unmodded K1000 'can' sound the way you describe. Recable it with something decent, mod it to pull the drivers closer to ears, and its sound moves significantly more to the 'yin' side.

Same goes for K340. Recable/mod it, and its sound moves significantly towards the 'yang' side. So much so that my modded K1000 and modded K340 have basically identical treble speed, amount, and detail. I know, it's hard to believe..

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 28
Mulveling,

Those things look very luxurious and comfy. Maaaan... you really know how to live the audiophile life. Not only do you have the L3000, but you have a set of the Polk LSIs, too! Sheesh!

Props to you my friend.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

gpalmer, I totally agree, the whole sensory experience and presentation is very important to me, though I feel that even just on sonics alone the L3000 is probably in a class above my other cans. The look/feel/smell adds on top of that!

Yup, I think they are worth the money based on the sonics alone and the rest is sort of thrown in for free...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

About $1310 after fees and triple shipping (ugh).

You got off easy!

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #22 of 28
Okay, i am gonna throw my 2 lovespuds in. I have switched my l3000's to the ML and the Raptor.

I am gonna hate my self for this. I prefer it over the Rs-1's. *cries*
frown.gif

It's too early to say as I am still carrying out w2002 V L3000 comparisons.

In this combo setup i get the sweetness of the Rs-1's but I get more of it due to the L3000's detail levels. I was using flats for the Rs-1's. And believe me the Rs-1's have seen off all the usual suspects.

Remember this is only initial impressions and with limited experience with AT phones

I have a different bias Raptor to the ones that were released, but that's impressions for another thread.

Remember the scene from Godfather 2? well it's kinda like that "Rs-1's, you broke my heart" If offered the midrange sweetness I love and adore to bits. but I could hear more of it in the l3000.

It could be I have new toy syndrome and it's because I have something new and different. Yes that's it!!!!

Or maybe Ray knew I get one and voiced the Raptor for the l3000's?
I need to try it on the Melos and see.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 28
Hehe, goRedwings man, I greatly prefer the L3000 over the RS-2 so I am not too surprised you like it over the RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif
The resolution really is tops, and it doesn't sacrifice an inch of musicality in achieving it. Yep, I too only have limited impressions (actually more limited than you), so we have a lot more listening to do to solidify these initial impressions!

I still wanna get a W2002 just for the looks. Maybe for use at the office
evil_smiley.gif

Joey_V,
Thanks man. I still love my Polk LSi's! They satisfy me completely in my HT, without having spent too crazy $$$$'s to obtain them. My previous Ascend setup didn't quite do it for me, but the LSi's do.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I am gonna hate my self for this. I prefer it over the Rs-1's. *cries*
frown.gif

Wow, that is a huge concession coming from you. I know how much you love the RS-1's.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Wow, that is a huge concession coming from you. I know how much you love the RS-1's.

I reckon it's new toy syndrome. Where every new thing you get is greatest and best.

Too early to say. In the Raptor combo the l3000 shines brighter than the Rs-1's.

The real fun begins when it gets switched to the Melos. The Rs-1's are more explosive on that amp. But i want to spend more time with the l3000's and w2002's. The Rs-1's were sent out to a meatstick down under.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #27 of 28
Finally L3000 starts to get the deserved attention. So far it is my favorite can out of PS-1, RS-1, K1000, R10, HD600/650 and Omega II (this one I have heard only for 2 hours, but I clearly didn't like it, neither liked its cheaper brothers) and there is only one more that I would like to listen to - Qualia.

I hope I'll go to Japan again this year so I would be able to compare these and make the right choice for me (if I'll be ever buying a headphone again).

The word that fully describes this headphone is musical.

It's not everyone's cup of tea and it's not objectively better than other headphones (hey, what can is objectively better than another?) but it's unique in the things it does.

I can think of an ergonomic mode (that may also make effect on the sound) for it to be more comfortable. Comfort is the only thing that bothered me (not too much though) with these headphones. Certainly, it's tons more comfortable than PS-1, but it's pretty far from R10 too and I always "realised" that it's on my head while R10 sometimes "disappeared".

Congrats on getting this diamond of a headphone.

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #28 of 28
They look stunning! I hope to be able to own a pair after Uni but have you seen the green version? I prefer the brown but apparantly there are only 50 green ones made. I saw them on bulletin.com (on the UK site)

Congrats again, you have excellent taste!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back