L3000 on EBay for $3,800 - is that the going rate?
Sep 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 42
I got them right from Beyer's website.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #17 of 42
It's not showing up in the store of the Beyer USA page, but it is showing up in the store of Beyer Europe, and it's 890 Euros.

This baby is definitely going to be in my line of sight, but I'm not willing to take the initial gamble this time, nor do I have the funds to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 42
If you actually go to place an order, and you live in the USA, it's only 749 Euros
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 42
Ah, so it won't be available until November. Ok, well that gives me time to save for it. I am doubtful that they will have the fidelity of the HD800 (since they aren't using a new driver design really, just a more powerful magnet system) but you never know! The DT880/600 is probably my favorite of all the mid-fi cans.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 42
I would classify it as a new driver because the topology of the magnet structure is markedly different than what they use in the DT770-990. They've also changed the diaphragm construction.

Needless to say, I'm getting a set.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still clueless as to how those cans command that kind of money.

They were 100% worth it to me. I paid about $3500 total for them(I guess around 3 months ago?), including paypal and shipping/customs. Before that, I saw at least one or two pairs go for around 3.3k, so I didn't think it was such a bad deal, especially because it was in mint condition and came with extra pads.

Worth is quite pointless to argue as there are too many variables. E.g. salary, expenses, interest in a certain hobby, etc. I would still purchase the L3000 at the same price I paid for them originally, as nothing else I've heard sounds anything like them.

And with this said, I would never pay $6000 for the R10...I was also upset when the street value of the K1000 almost doubled in price in what seemed to be overnight...but yet, I went ahead and bought them for more than double what I had originally paid for my first pair. There is no such thing as "they should go for this" when it comes to out of production cans. It simply becomes the game of who wants them and what they are willing to pay for them. They are worth it to that person.

However, I do admit that a real problem is that *some* people are buying a lot of these cans at much cheaper price points to simply turn around and sell them for a profit. Especially those who are buying these out of production cans outside of the US.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #25 of 42
A pair went for $3k on Yahoo Auctions in Japan recently. That was rather unusual I think though.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #26 of 42
Too expensive IMO. I love my L3000 but I don't think that they worth $3800. $3000 is more realistic.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #27 of 42
It depends on how much you like the L3000, I suppose. It is a unique headphone, made in a very limited quantity. It is logical that prices will increase over time, as more are kept permanently, and some of them fail or otherwise become disabled. And of course, the price is in the wallet of the buyer, and it only takes one for a sale.

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #28 of 42
Well, the pair I saw on EBay for $3,800 did not sell. So maybe that is indeed too high a price.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were 100% worth it to me. I paid about $3500 total for them(I guess around 3 months ago?), including paypal and shipping/customs. Before that, I saw at least one or two pairs go for around 3.3k, so I didn't think it was such a bad deal, especially because it was in mint condition and came with extra pads.

Worth is quite pointless to argue as there are too many variables. E.g. salary, expenses, interest in a certain hobby, etc. I would still purchase the L3000 at the same price I paid for them originally, as nothing else I've heard sounds anything like them.

And with this said, I would never pay $6000 for the R10...I was also upset when the street value of the K1000 almost doubled in price in what seemed to be overnight...but yet, I went ahead and bought them for more than double what I had originally paid for my first pair. There is no such thing as "they should go for this" when it comes to out of production cans. It simply becomes the game of who wants them and what they are willing to pay for them. They are worth it to that person.

However, I do admit that a real problem is that *some* people are buying a lot of these cans at much cheaper price points to simply turn around and sell them for a profit. Especially those who are buying these out of production cans outside of the US.

I understand your point. I just think they are one of the most tonally inaccurate cans I've ever heard and I wouldn't even pay $100 for them for my own listening -- to turn a profit, of course I would. I don't like any AT headphones. They just sound wrong, and they are very uncomfortable to me. I also don't understand where the words "The L3000 has incredible bass slam" come from.

The R10 in my opinion are an excellent headphone and I could sooner see paying $6000 for them (even though I never could) than paying $3000 - $100 for an L3000.

The one thing I did gain from listening to the L3000 (on more than one occasion) was that it made me understand just how extremely different every human perceives audio, and what they're interpretation of accurate OR pleasing sound is.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #30 of 42
L3000's are the only "high-end" Audio-Technica I have ever liked at all. The W5000 sound just awful to me. But we all sure do hear differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back