L3000 on EBay for $3,800 - is that the going rate?
Sep 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #31 of 42
i don't think that highly of the W1000 or W5000. the L3000 is definitely my favorite ATH, although some of the other OOP ATHs aren't bad.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #32 of 42
I never have heard them but they sound like the most godly thing ever to me, bass better than denons and mids like esw10 but better. They sound like a mixup of what I want, but I cant be sure enough to throw the money out there blindly, since I have no ability to sell anything I acquire
frown.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never have heard them but they sound like the most godly thing ever to me, bass better than denons and mids like esw10 but better. They sound like a mixup of what I want, but I cant be sure enough to throw the money out there blindly, since I have no ability to sell anything I acquire
frown.gif

I definitely agree with your choice of not throwing money blindly into them. Without hearing them first it would be a major gamble.

I don't comprehend though where all the talk of bass slam comes from with the L3000. I hear way more bass coming out of the HD800 than I did from the L3000, that's for sure.
L3000.gif
<--- I just don't get it. Perhaps I'm defective.
tongue.gif

(and I heard Mikeymad's pair on his WA2 [and I think my Corda Opera too] at CanJam, and he said they have lots of bass...... and Strangelove's pair on my Phoenix at the L.A. meet.... heard very little bass both times)

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #34 of 42
Well you know that I like them PJ, I spent hours with a Pair at CanJam and would happily pay or offer to the beautiful pair on Head-fi that is $2900. asking if I had the cash on hand. Summer is not good in my profession however and I have dumped a ton of cash into this recently...so oh well.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you know that I like them PJ, I spent hours with a Pair at CanJam and would happily pay or offer to the beautiful pair on Head-fi that is $2900. asking if I had the cash on hand. Summer is not good in my profession however and I have dumped a ton of cash into this recently...so oh well.

I know.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear way more bass coming out of the HD800 than I did from the L3000, that's for sure.
L3000.gif
tongue.gif

i dont think "perhaps" belongs in that sentence
biggrin.gif

though I have heard rumor of a bass-lightness defect in some L3000's, so perhaps - if there is truth to this - your listening time was spent with a "bass-poor" pair?

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #37 of 42
I never owned either L3000 or HD800 but tried both at the meet. I also think that L3000 has much more bass slam than HD800. But I guess people who own both would know better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$2900 still seems high to me for an L3000, although it's more in the ballpark than the others that have recently sold. there is also a PS1 being offered for $2400. that seems like a fair price, but the stock cable has been reterminated and that is a big strike for OOP collectible headphones, so that price may be off as well. i also see an HP2 with box and original cable for $1500. that seems to be the best of the bunch, although in this economy and with all the hype (most justified, imo) around the HD800, that item may sit there for a while.

By the way, that HP2 is on the way to my house
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't really like HD800 and preferred HP2 and PS1 over them (again, based on my personal experience at the meet).
I don't think I will regret.

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't comprehend though where all the talk of bass slam comes from with the L3000. I hear way more bass coming out of the HD800 than I did from the L3000, that's for sure.
L3000.gif
tongue.gif

(and I heard Mikeymad's pair on his WA2 [and I think my Corda Opera too] at CanJam, and he said they have lots of bass...... and Strangelove's pair on my Phoenix at the L.A. meet.... heard very little bass both times)

That is hard to imagine - I felt the L3000 had almost too much bass when I heard them in a Zana Deux at a meet. And well, you know how I feel about the HD800's bass.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #39 of 42
[size=xx-small]IMNSHO[/size]

Funny - when it was in production, used samples were a hard sell at US$1600. The current market is absolutely crazy *shrug*

My general feeling about the L3000 is that it is the quintessential gilded lily. Bloated bass response, slow everything else. Far from the reference that its price would indicate. All that leather may feel luxurious, but does nothing for the sound.

The target audience was people that wanted the Sony R10's, but either couldn't find it, or afford it, and perhaps that's still the case for the used market. Sonically, the L3k doesn't come close (not that I think the R10 is worth current prices either). They are tweaked versions of the W2002/W1000. I think that Audio-Technica gets a lot of mileage out of that 53mm driver.

popcorn.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #40 of 42
That's the reason I didn't want to overpay. I am not sure I'd keep these - my impression at the meet where I heard them was mixed. I would only buy them if I thought I could easily resell them without taking a loss. Their 48 ohm impedance isn't really perfect for my favorite amps, either. But I have remained curious about them.

In any case, having already forked over $1,000 to pre-order the new Beyer T-1's, for me this is off the table for now.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #41 of 42
$3,800 seems a bit too steep.
But as other said it is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay...

Never heard the L3000, but can think of a handful headphones I would have picked instead.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #42 of 42
I'm the one selling these for $2900.00. I think if you're looking for a good closed headphone the L3000 belongs near the top of the list. Personally I'd rather listen to my Stax O2 and BHSE but when everybody is asleep and I need to keep things quiet the L3000's through my B52 are a great alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back