L3000 and MDR-R10
Oct 6, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
These are honest questions. Obviously up in this price range the selections thin out. At this price point is it just subtle differences in presentation?

For me, the HE90/HEV90 combo is definitely "better" than any of the other top headphone setups I've heard. After that, it's all a matter of what you're lookng for. Some of the differences are not "subtle" in the sense that the Omega II's sound very different than the R10's (completely different sonic signatures, but they're on the same level in terms of the quality of the overall listening experience). I prefer the R10's to the L3000's, Omega II's or PS-1's, but don't consider them to be in a totally different category. Even with the HE90's, they are "better" than the others in my opinion, but I'm sure that has more to do with tastes than anything absolute (i.e., others may disagree).

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
What is this secret message Chefguru tried to convey to us? Obviously he was killed by secret government operators before the message could get out, and replaced with a cryptic, garbled code. What did the late Chefguru want us to know? Only time and fuzz will tell...

Kind of harkens back to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, doesn't it?

???: There! Look!
LAUNCELOT: What does it say?
GALAHAD: What language is that?
ARTHUR: Brother Maynard, you're our scholar!
MAYNARD: It's Aramaic!
GALAHAD: Of course! Joseph of Aramathea!
LAUNCELOT: Course!
???: What does it say?
MAYNARD: It reads, 'Here may be found the last words of Joseph of
Aramathea. He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the
Holy Grail in the Castle of uuggggggh'.
ARTHUR: What?
MAYNARD: '... the Castle of uuggggggh'.
BEDEVERE: What is that?
MAYNARD: He must have died while carving it.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, come on!
MAYNARD: Well, that's what it says.
ARTHUR: Look, if he was dying, he wouldn't bother to carve
'aaggggh'. He'd just say it!
MAYNARD: Well, that's what's carved in the rock!
GALAHAD: Perhaps he was dictating.
ARTHUR: Oh, shut up. Well, does it say anything else?
MAYNARD: No. Just, 'uuggggggh'.
LAUNCELOT: Aauuggghhh.
???: Aaauggh.
BEDEVERE: You don't suppose he meant the Camauuuugh?
???: Where's that?
BEDEVERE: France, I think.
LAUNCELOT: Isn't there a Saint Aauuuves in Cornwall?
ARTHUR: No, that's Saint Ives.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, yes. Saint Iiiives.
SEVERAL: Iiiiives.
BEDEVERE: Oooohoohohooo!
LAUNCELOT: No, no, aauuuuugh, at the back of the throat.
Aauuugh.
BEDEVERE: No, no, no, oooooooh, in surprise and alarm.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, you mean sort of a aaaagh!
BEDEVERE: Yes, but I-- Aaaaagh!
???: Oooh!
???: Oh, no!
[roar]
MAYNARD: It's the legendary Black Beast of aaauuugh!
ARTHUR: Run away!
ALL: Run away! Run away!

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #18 of 44
I spent 45 minutes with the Orpheus system once and was totally blown away. To me it was as good as any speaker system I’d ever heard. I considered selling all my headphone gear to get the HE90’s but then I’d still need an amp which could easily run a few thousand $$$ more.

I’d go for the R10’s if a new pair could be had for $3250 or so.

It is an interesting hobby. I appreciate the input since it’s from a critical and analytical point of view.

Mitch

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #19 of 44
Alright guys, thanks for the comments, especially Chefguru... classic.

Anyway, So I got the L3000 and the HE60/HEV70 today.

A few things...

I plugged in the L3000 (brand new) into my Rudistor RP6-DQ and I hear a faint to not so very faint (it varies) buzzing noise. This is totally absent when the 600's are plugged in. I tried both High and Low Impedence outputs and the Low displays this more prominantly. I, of course, have the ground switch turned on (this creates a buzz itself in the US in some places).

Some initial impressions sans any burn in... IT SUX! hahaha... you heard me. The L3000's currently sound horrible! The high's sound rolled off, the upper midrange is bloated and harsh. No comments on anything else, but I'm not worried
confused.gif
, it'll take some time. A/B'ing between these and the 600's is SO very different. I, of course, currently favor the 600's by a massive margin. We'll have to see.

As for the HE60/HEV70, I need a step down transformer! It's in 230V!

Edit: Anyone know anything about this amp and its synergy with the L3000? I love it with my HD600 w/cardas.

Neil

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 44
did you try the L3000 with another amp, or no amp at all? doesn't sound like a L3000's sound, even a new one.

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
It really never does get old.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

No it doesn't, does it?
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
did you try the L3000 with another amp, or no amp at all? doesn't sound like a L3000's sound, even a new one.

I could agree with some of his comments but not with the degree to which he's experiencing them. I found that thery started off a bit muddy and the harshness didn't go away until I gave 'em a good run-in. They weren't hitting their peak but they weren't horrible out of the box...

Oct 6, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I could agree with some of his comments but not with the degree to which he's experiencing them. I found that thery started off a bit muddy and the harshness didn't go away until I gave 'em a good run-in. They weren't hitting their peak but they weren't horrible out of the box...

Some? Which of the two things did you not initially notice? I'd say there are 2 prominant points which I currently dislike:

1) High's do not extend very high. There is a distinct lack of smoothness, however it is not grainy at all, it is simply not extended and therefore a distinct upper midrange (~ 800hz-7khz) emphasis and corresponding

2) Harshness. Upper midrange harshness. The bloat I would say comes from the 'rolloff'-like effect. It seems especially 'peaky' / non-smoothness with vocals. (IE: Harsh Cringe at around 800hz and again around 3khz).

These frequencies are approximate but I do a lot of EQ'ing and frequency juggling when I'm in the studio and I generally have a good sense of what frequencies I am hearing.

As for the bass, it sounds great, especially in comparison to the 600's which now seem to be very lacking in this department. Well I always felt that, but what bass does come out of the 600's is very nice and controlled. On the other hand, the L3000's sound like a mini woofer with sub-bass inclined music.

Neil

Oct 6, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 44
As I mentioned, it's the degree to which you're experiencing shortcomings not the shortcomings themselves that raises a question in my mind as to whether things are on the up and up. I agree with the symptoms but I still enjoyed them enough to burn 'em in on my head!
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
As I mentioned, it's the degree to which you're experiencing shortcomings not the shortcomings themselves that raises a question in my mind as to whether things are on the up and up. I agree with the symptoms but I still enjoyed them enough to burn 'em in on my head!
biggrin.gif

Hmm, now you make me worried! Have you heard of any strange cases with the L3000's or any other AT stuff where is seemed fine but the signature sound was way off?

Neil

Oct 6, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Hmm, now you make me worried! Have you heard of any strange cases with the L3000's or any other AT stuff where is seemed fine but the signature sound was way off?

Neil

Nope, and it might just be a matter of perception, where you are more impacted by sound of the cans before break in more than I was. I found that they were definitely muddy to begin with but listenable and I found them rather harsh in the mids until I gave a a good run at an elevated volume but I only noticed this when I raised the volume above a low level. I wouldn't get too worried.

Oct 6, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #28 of 44
I like the R10, I love the L3000. I find the L3000 a drier can respect to the R10, that has (IMO) that hollow/internal reverberation, specially in the med-bass region. I also prefer the L3000's soundstage, I find more natural... about the bass I think no one can think that the R10 is "better" than L3000.

BUT: the L3000, as a totally different kind of headpohnes sound perception, need a bit of patience... the L3000 is (IMO) the most speaker-like sound, if you are still thinking to listening a headphones, you are in the wrongl way...

The L3000 si not so amp-dependent, BUT they need a good match amp too, one of the best is the EarMax AE with Ehg tubes. I do not think the RP6DQ is the best way to give at this cans the max of their performance.

I'm still waiting for another two SS amps, just to see how the L3000 sounds with hi-class SS amp.

I had the R10, the Omega, the Qualia, the HE60, the K1000, the PS1, the RS1, as I think these are the most apreciated cans in the world, all different kind of sound and performances, may be all in the highest quality level... but my relationship with the L3000 in time is something very special, for me, for my tastes and personal preferences.

For all the L3000's owners: if I can, do a more accurate comparison with the other cans you have (R10-Omega...), but take your time (a lot) with the L3000 in your head... they need this. I do not consider in any advantage the rapid comparison head by head of two or more cans... to really have an idea of all what a headphones can give, we must to STAY with them, one by one... for a long time...

About the burning time, yes! The L3000 change A LOT and become very balanced, but this miracle will arrive after 150 or 200 hs.

...just my two cents

Best!
Nicola

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
You do mean the R10 is the drier can, don't you?

Nope, the L3000 is drier.

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back