L3000 and MDR-R10
Oct 5, 2005 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone,

So I'm receiving my L3000 today and also demoing an HE60/HEV70 system. What I'd like to know are anyone's comments on the R10. Specifically how does it compare with the L3000? I know both are top closed cans, but does anyone have any comments or opinions to elaborate further?

Thanks
Neil

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 44
The largest difference is in the way the soundstage is conveyed. The R10 is more expansive and speakerlike while the L3000 is more intimate. As far as tonal balance goes, the R10 has less bass output and is brighter in the treble while the L3000 is more aggressive in the upper midrange. The L3000 is more dynamic while the R10 is more detailed.

Hooked up to a good Singlepower amp, I find the R10 to be the most transparent setup available - very close to the HE90 / HEV-90 Orpheus system.

On the HE-60 - I found it unsatisfying with the HEV-70 amp. I recommend trying out a Stax amp or a KGSS.

There has been a lot of comparison in other threads - try the search for more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Hi Everyone,

So I'm receiving my L3000 today and also demoing an HE60/HEV70 system. What I'd like to know are anyone's comments on the R10. Specifically how does it compare with the L3000? I know both are top closed cans, but does anyone have any comments or opinions to elaborate further?

Thanks
Neil

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
8gfvhggjhs[iozghsdoiugh d[jidsipg,saf=-0isaopf ffhfhfh fhfhfhfh fh hfh fh hf asjfsakjfsakjfksa;j fako;asm as[]f ask.] .-f =wf

Translation - "I Like Pie."

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

8gfvhggjhs[iozghsdoiugh d[jidsipg,saf=-0isaopf ffhfhfh fhfhfhfh fh hfh fh hf asjfsakjfsakjfksa;j fako;asm as[]f ask.] .-f =wf

I can sorta make out the word "dough".

YES, the R10 are a lot of dough.

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

yes , i agree

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

He is deep into the Fuzz now.

Oct 5, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 44
Now.. the question is, what did he have before the edit? Was his original message like this too? Is this a secret message?

Can anyone decrypt it?
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Can anyone decrypt it?
biggrin.gif

Sure. It means:

Quote:

Excellent thread. Very informative.

evil_smiley.gif

Cheers

Oct 5, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

What is this secret message Chefguru tried to convey to us? Obviously he was killed by secret government operators before the message could get out, and replaced with a cryptic, garbled code. What did the late Chefguru want us to know? Only time and fuzz will tell...

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 44
I think Canman summed it up extremely well in terms of the R10 and L3000 comparison. Both are excellent headphones are have a lot in common. The differences come down to a matter of taste; I don't think that one is clearly better than the other and agree that both can come very close to the HE90/HEV90 level of performance.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 44
So if the L3000 is about $1700 and the R10’s are about $3200 (give or take).

What headphone is between the 2? The Qualia?

What headphone should be considered in the price range of the L3000? The Omega 2’s? But the extra cost of the amp needs to be considered which isn’t trivial.

What headphone should be considered in the price range of the R10? Is this the Omega 2’s with an amp?

These are honest questions. Obviously up in this price range the selections thin out. At this price point is it just subtle differences in presentation?

Mitch

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
So if the L3000 is about $1700 and the R10’s are about $3200 (give or take)...Obviously up in this price range the selections thin out. At this price point is it just subtle differences in presentation?

I'm curious too, as this would indicate the L3000 are a relative bargain.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
So if the L3000 is about $1700 and the R10’s are about $3200 (give or take).

What headphone is between the 2? The Qualia?

What headphone should be considered in the price range of the L3000? The Omega 2’s? But the extra cost of the amp needs to be considered which isn’t trivial.

What headphone should be considered in the price range of the R10? Is this the Omega 2’s with an amp?

These are honest questions. Obviously up in this price range the selections thin out. At this price point is it just subtle differences in presentation?

Mitch

I haven't actually heard any of these cans, but from what I have read it seems that at this price range it becomes more of a matter of prefernce as opposed to one being "better" than another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back