L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #6,706 of 6,808
One last listen go the reference setup with Caldera and AC before heading off the airport.

PXL_20240307_121017795.NIGHT.jpg
The ultimate reference, and I am sure nothing at Canjam will compete. I bet it's gonna be a great show for you man. Hope you have fun, and I can see you being at celebrity level with the Aegis.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #6,707 of 6,808
Quick question. Your extra control box for this amp, what does it do exactly? Is it possible to integrate for any tube amp?

That's an autoformer volume control (AVC), a type of volume control that is superior sonically to a conventional resistive volume potentiometer. It's in a separate chassis to avoid mains noise leaking into it from the power transformers of the amplifier.

Yes, if you were to get your hands on one, you can implement it in front of any tube amp, just turn the amps potentiometer to max and use the AVC to adjust. Slight disadvantage that way compared to using the AVC straight into the amp as the potentiometer lowers the AVC's secondary load a bit, but probably not very audible I would guess.

Mentioning direct-coupled amplifiers above reminded me of the direct-coupled 45 design I'm sitting on. Methinks if I ever build it, I'll put the power transformer in a separate chassis and an AVC inside the signal chassis...

The ultimate reference, and I am sure nothing at Canjam will compete. I bet it's gonna be a great show for you man. Hope you have fun, and I can see you being at celebrity level with the Aegis.

Thanks, Wes! Haha we'll see, I have no idea what to expect. But I hope people like the commercial Aegis, Jude loving it gives me hope.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #6,708 of 6,808
That's an autoformer volume control (AVC), a type of volume control that is superior sonically to a conventional resistive volume potentiometer. It's in a separate chassis to avoid mains noise leaking into it from the power transformers of the amplifier.

Yes, if you were to get your hands on one, you can implement it in front of any tube amp, just turn the amps potentiometer to max and use the AVC to adjust. Slight disadvantage that way compared to using the AVC straight into the amp as the potentiometer lowers the AVC's secondary load a bit, but probably not very audible I would guess.

Mentioning direct-coupled amplifiers above reminded me of the direct-coupled 45 design I'm sitting on. Methinks if I ever build it, I'll put the power transformer in a separate chassis and an AVC inside the signal chassis...

Thanks, Wes! Haha we'll see, I have no idea what to expect. But I hope people like the commercial Aegis, Jude loving it gives me hope.
Yes sir, Judes enthusiasm with just the new production stock tubes made me even more excited to hear one. :grin:

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #6,709 of 6,808
Yes sir, Judes enthusiasm with just the new production stock tubes made me even more excited to hear one. :grin:

He's not wrong, those tubes are actually quite satisfying!

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #6,710 of 6,808
He's not wrong, those tubes are actually quite satisfying!
That's awesome, as I have high hopes for new production tubes.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #6,711 of 6,808
Back from CanJam, had a great time. Was fun talking tubes with everyone and explaining the Aegis circuit. Really got incredible feedback on it, it was great to see and hear listener's reactions, really looking forward to some of the impressions posts to see what other people thought who I didn't get a chance to talk to.

Here's a pic of all the Aegises lined up in the ZMF room before the show started.

PXL_20240309_144219650.jpg

First thing I did when I got home was fire up the main rig and plug in the Atrium open since I used it as a sort of reference for my own setup at home when listening to some other gear. Seems I won't be selling this amp / DAC combo any time soon!

PXL_20240311_231849975.NIGHT.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #6,714 of 6,808
How did the commercial version stack up against the ones you built?

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #6,715 of 6,808
How did the commercial version stack up against the ones you built?

I think they compare very well, and people who tried both felt the same way, and the DIY version had the advantage of using NOS tubes. I think over the next week there will be some impressions coming out from the show.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #6,716 of 6,808
More listening to the Caldera today. I switched the input tubes in my HY69 amp from RCA 5687 to RCA 7044. I haven't gotten around to polishing up the taller tube shields for the 7044 and E182CC, so they will have to go bare and show off their glow.

PXL_20240313_231818485.NIGHT.jpg

This amp already sounds very good, but really looking forward to getting the new output transformers in, then it will truly be complete.

At last I am going to be putting the Finemet core line output transformers in my PCM63 DAC. They will replaced the Sowter 9705. Reached out to Dave at Landfall to get a new top plate with cutouts for them. They have roughly double the primary inductance of the Sowters, and Finemet is a much better core material than M6, I'm expecting a pretty significant sound upgrade.

The matte black powder Dave coated the DAC chassis in has been giving him trouble lately, so recommends against it, thinks Columbia may have messed up a batch. I like the amber LED on the front, so I am going to go with a different color on the top plate for a two tone look. Going to do this clay texture from Columbia coatings. Sort of a burnt orange with black speckling, I think it will look nice.

Clay-Texture-V2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #6,718 of 6,808
What effect do you expect from the shields? Working as a Faraday's cage? If so, is it needed?

Also, do these shields function as a funnel for heat? If so, how big is the difference?

Yeah they are grounded and act as a shield. I initially installed them when I was working with the D3a which is very sensitive to RF interference. They aren't strictly needed, but I like how they look and they don't hurt. They do sink away quite a bit of heat from the tubes. The tubes are nowhere near the max plate dissipation however so either way would be fine.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #6,720 of 6,808
Will you also try some version of 6N6P? @bcowen has good versions for you. You would need an adapter but could then also waste your money on 6H30-DR.

No I probably won't! I'm very happy with 5687, 7044, and E182CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back