L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #6,691 of 6,808
Without a doubt, scientifically, existentially, exophilistically - the new amp that @L0rdGwyn delivered to ZMF yesterday defies all laws of human existence, I literally can't believe how amazing it is.

I went with a color called "Caldera:"

And wow! It's a volcano exploding in my brain every time I've used it so far. I've need a wet towel and a bath half a dozen times in the last day from this thing.

But really @L0rdGwyn you're a legend - and for those in awe of his work as I often am we are working on a Caldera driving commercial version of the "Aegis" which should be released in Q1 this coming year. The Aegis is defined by ample power (it even drives the Tungsten) and a mind-bending-blowing large stage while keeping a firm grip on the low end. I'm beyond excited for it and it's this kind of stuff that keeps me going at tough times of the year like this when things are just busy and stressful!

Here's some quick pics of the "Air-Universe; Caldera Edition." I will have pics of the Aegis in a few weeks as well which will be widely available.

Seven!!!!!! Count em seven Monolith Magnetics transformers. Holy moly...yes it's heavy.

Sauce shot of the cool transformer covers.

This one my be a little out of focus, volume knob on the left and impedance selector on the right.
I can see this being really expensive and justify that more than the mass kobo 465.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #6,692 of 6,808
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #6,693 of 6,808
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #6,694 of 6,808
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #6,695 of 6,808
Dude! That is just flat out incredible looking work.

Thanks! Laying out that amp was tricky since the transformers take up most of the top plate real estate, so a lot of componentry had to go on the side panels.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #6,696 of 6,808
Thanks! Laying out that amp was tricky since the transformers take up most of the top plate real estate, so a lot of componentry had to go on the side panels.

Based on how it sounds, it seems to have been worth it (says the person who didn't have to build it).

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #6,697 of 6,808
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #6,698 of 6,808

How do you come up with your circuit designs? Do you use older designs and then improve them or do you do completely fresh designs from scratch ?

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #6,699 of 6,808
How do you come up with your circuit designs? Do you use older designs and then improve them or do you do completely fresh designs from scratch ?

My designs are from scratch, but built on old ideas. Single-ended tube circuits have been around for a long time, but how you implement them does have a substantial impact on the sound. Not all 2A3 SET circuits are going to sound the same, for example. How you load and bias tubes, how you couple the stages, how you approach the B+ supply, transformer core material and turns ratios, any signal path componentry will have an affect on the sound and impact the end result. A lot of my circuits build on things I've tried in the past, a lot of A-B listening tests to see what I think is best, and I implement the winner in future designs. I will say that what is being done in the Aegis is a new offering circuit topology-wise in the commercial headphone amp world, I'm not aware of any other commercial amplifier that is doing what it does, which I think will set it apart.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #6,700 of 6,808
My designs are from scratch, but built on old ideas. Single-ended tube circuits have been around for a long time, but how you implement them does have a substantial impact on the sound. Not all 2A3 SET circuits are going to sound the same, for example. How you load and bias tubes, how you couple the stages, how you approach the B+ supply, transformer core material and turns ratios, any signal path componentry will have an affect on the sound and impact the end result. A lot of my circuits build on things I've tried in the past, a lot of A-B listening tests to see what I think is best, and I implement the winner in future designs. I will say that what is being done in the Aegis is a new offering circuit topology-wise in the commercial headphone amp world, I'm not aware of any other commercial amplifier that is doing what it does, which I think will set it apart.

And the fact that there is a diy option is great. I wish more tube amp makers did this... make a commercial version but also a diy version.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #6,701 of 6,808
@L0rdGwyn What is your philosophy on transformer vs cap coupled amplifiers? Do transformer couple amplifiers have a sonic advantage or can they be equally good at their best?

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #6,702 of 6,808
And the fact that there is a diy option is great. I wish more tube amp makers did this... make a commercial version but also a diy version.

I think very few would invest the amount of time on this that @L0rdGwyn has. It's a lot of somewhat thankless work and then you end up having to troubleshoot builds for folks. It was a very generous use of his time on multiple fronts.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #6,703 of 6,808
@L0rdGwyn What is your philosophy on transformer vs cap coupled amplifiers? Do transformer couple amplifiers have a sonic advantage or can they be equally good at their best?

Transformer coupling is my preference for cost-no-object designs. However, it significantly limits what input tubes can be used as a low plate resistance is a necessity. Many of the best tubes for transformer coupling are also prone to oscillation, which can be a real headache. Interstage transformers are also another potential source of noise, not easy to make a transformer coupled headphone amp quiet, and good interstage transformers are expensive. Cap coupled amplifiers sound great, but if I'm using cap coupling, I'd prefer to remove a cap somewhere else (which has been done in Aegis, as there is no bypass cap in the output stage). In any tube amp, leaving out a signal capacitor is almost always the better choice, but there are compromises to be made, it's never free. Direct coupling is another option but that has its own problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back